Old May 18th 2012, 11:34 am
Just Joined

DoubleDD is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Visa to work in Houston

hello all,

thanks again for all the replies.

lots to talk about here.

ok

1) Tax expert- so I need to seek some legal advice on this then, is it common for companies to help me pay for someone to do this? Not something I have considered but an excellent point, any further advise would be appreciarted

2) Commission- please dont worry about this, my basic here is 25k and I earnt 48k last year (that was in my first year also, so some months were spent training, I am good at what I do) and I like to be in control of what I earn.

3) E2 visa- my research (i am no expert) has told me this is investment related, judging on what people are saying here it is possible for it to work in my case, not sure how however- perhaps they will hire me on a UK payroll (they have offices here) for a month and then shift me over to the US. Re other american applicants, they have interviewed plenty and not found what they need- they hire brits for this role all the time according to them.

4) EB3- I assume this is a route to greencard? as in, a subdivision of E2 which leads to green card status? Appreciate my language here may be hazy, will research it now, any more info is appreciated

5) Clarification on visas- I am seeking this, I have yet to see anything in writing and will not be accepting anything until I do.

6) Agency or direct contact. I am going through an agency but I have had direct contact with the client through telephone interviews. What are your suspicions around this if you dont mind me asking?

7) Medical package- again, not seen a written contract so dont know the details, what am I aiming for here? I am not entierly sure how it works in the US, I see it working as an insurance policy with an excess? Is this wildly incorrect?

8) Perdiem- yorkshireabroad, yes that is how it has been expalined to me ($180 a day tax free out of my salary for everyday I work) and it sounds outrageously good. I dont know if I have to claim this back or if it is already accounted for.

Common theme here is that I have not seen anything in writing. I am not naive and I will not be accepting anything until I have the answers to all my questions, and until I know exactly what my outgoings will be every month, so I can provide a comparison to my setup at the moment.

My worry, as is every salespersons, is that I am getting sold the dream. However, talk is cheap and I will not base a decision on anything other than what is in the contract. The advice people can give me on here is much appreciated for its impartial opinions, please dont worry and think I will make a rash decision here.

Further help would be much appreciated folks.

Cheers
Old May 18th 2012, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa to work in Houston

Here's my concern - convincing USCIS that a US based company needs to import any kind of commission-based salesperson (versus hiring one from the domestic applicant pool - or should that be 'ocean') is potentially something of a stretch.
I have been both sponsor and beneficiary of L1-A, B1, E1 and H1-B and established two successful businesses here. Much as I'd have liked to, hiring UK based sales people to come over and work in the US just was not an option.
I am deeply suspicious about this concept, I'm afraid. When you mentioned the "A" word (agency), that tipped me over the edge.
Has anyone asked you to hand over any money yet?
Old May 18th 2012, 3:47 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DoubleDD
6) Agency or direct contact. I am going through an agency but I have had direct contact with the client through telephone interviews. What are your suspicions around this if you dont mind me asking?
Is this some sort of Agency who "gets the visa for you"? Are they a liaison between you and the US employer? You should not use such an agency. Don't pay the agency anything. These types of agencies are known for promising a US visa, taking your money, and then running off with it.

I would take out the middleman "agency", and deal directly with the US employer. If the US employer has hired foreign workers before, then they should have an immigration attorney working for them who handles the visa situation.

Since you have direct contact with the employer, I would stop dealing with the agency from now on, and just continue on with the employer.

Rene
Old May 19th 2012, 1:23 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

1) Tax expert- so I need to seek some legal advice on this then, is it common for companies to help me pay for someone to do this? Not something I have considered but an excellent point, any further advise would be appreciarted
This and point 7, lot of advice covered in the wiki. Well worth having a look at it, it's up top. Also lot of advice in relocation package in general too.
Old May 21st 2012, 6:01 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

1) What type of visa is it that I will likely be on? I think its an E-1? How long would i have to stay/ what would i have to do to gain nationality/permanent residency? My understanding is that if i leave my job, I have to leave the country as the visa is tied to my employer, whilst I cannot see myself leaving them for at least 2 years, I would be interested to know what other options I have for the future.

2) I have a girlfriend who I would like to come with me. I have been told that whilst my employer can get me a visa, they can only get one for her which would mean she cannot work- basically a no go as she would drive herself, and then me, mad. What options does she have here? Can she come over on a VWP and then job hunt? Or does she have to secure a job first like I have?

2) What does this visa entitle me to? Obviously guessing cannot vote, but can I own/shoot a gun?
From the sounds of it you need to get a a job with a US company abroad and then transfer in on L-1B. That is the only category that would satisfy your requirements from what you've said there that you would be likely to get. Plus you would need to marry your girlfriend for her to get L-2 and be authorized to work.

The gun question is interesting, the DoJ basically forced ATF to change the rules recently, if you enter on a non-immigrant visa (as opposed to a non-immigrant category) then you must have a hunting licence issued by any State in order to legally possess a firearm (generally, there are other exemptions but the hunting licence is the only relevant one). To buy one, you need to be a resident of the State where the acquisition is made, usually.
Old May 21st 2012, 7:34 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steve_
From the sounds of it you need to get a a job with a US company abroad and then transfer in on L-1B. That is the only category that would satisfy your requirements from what you've said there that you would be likely to get. Plus you would need to marry your girlfriend for her to get L-2 and be authorized to work.

The gun question is interesting, the DoJ basically forced ATF to change the rules recently, if you enter on a non-immigrant visa (as opposed to a non-immigrant category) then you must have a hunting licence issued by any State in order to legally possess a firearm (generally, there are other exemptions but the hunting licence is the only relevant one). To buy one, you need to be a resident of the State where the acquisition is made, usually.
In Colorado they charge those not resident in Colorado more.

The application period has closed now for most things you would want to shoot, it is a lottery but you get bonus points for previous missed applications.
Old May 21st 2012, 8:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Medical insurance, you are incorrect about how it works.
1. Your employer may or may not cover the cost or they may cover a %. That could mean $0-$1000+ a month from your pay.
2. The policy may not cover things. That could mean essentially an unlimited cost to you should something unexpected happen.
3. Even if it does cover most things, it may not kick in until you pay a certain amount or it may require you to pay a % of every charge. At $100 or so per doctors appointment, several thousand for basic emergency care and tens of thousands for serious emergency care, it can add up quickly with a poor policy. Health insurance will be the single moat complicated thing you have to deal with so spend the time researching it and how the healthcare system works.
Old May 22nd 2012, 2:30 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

I smell a large, particularly odoriferous rat here.