Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

visa vaccinations.

visa vaccinations.

Old May 10th 2002, 4:20 pm
Donna Maindraul

Default Re: visa vaccinations.

In article <[email protected]>, abi <[email protected]> wrote:

> Oh, did anyone else have to show proof of having their BCG?

That vaccine isn't approved for use in the US, so you don't need it at all. Since
you've had it, don't bother with the skin test that we give in the US to screen for
antibodies. You have them. Just ask for the chest X-ray immediately.

You might have a hard time explaining that you've been vaccinated for tuberculosis
since as far as US doctors are concerned, no tuberculosis vaccine exists. Presumably
the INS doctors are aware that Europeans disagree on this, but I wouldn't want to try
to explain it to a school nurse.

-Donna

Old May 10th 2002, 4:20 pm
Andy Platt

"Donna Maindrault" <[email protected]> wrote:

> You might have a hard time explaining that you've been vaccinated for tuberculosis
    > since as far as US doctors are concerned, no tuberculosis vaccine exists.
    > Presumably the INS doctors are aware that Europeans disagree on this, but I
    > wouldn't want to try to explain it to a school nurse.

You could just send them to the CDC website which describes BCG (and says it's use in
the US as "not widely used"):

http://www.cdc.gov/nchstp/tb/faqs/qa.htm

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

Old May 10th 2002, 5:03 pm
abi
Forum Regular

abi is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmmmm ok, so my child has to have the Hepetitis B? Can he get this free from the GP, as I am aware they charge for certain vaccinations....or can he get the first one done at the embassy, or even in the US? I wasnt aware that he even needed any vaccinations... And the course lasts for six months? So whats that..a jab per month for six consecutive months?
Old May 10th 2002, 5:04 pm
abi
Forum Regular

abi is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh and do I need the hepetitis B course of jabs myself? As a K1?
Old May 10th 2002, 5:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ameriscot is an unknown quantity at this point

You can get the Hepatitis B done at your GP's, but they are entitled to charge you for it since it isn't a standard UK vaccination - the practice manager will be able to tell you what the fee is. I'm sure the folks at Dr Phelan's clinic would be more than happy to administer whatever is required - for a fee.

There are 3 jabs making up the Hep B series - the second one takes place 1 month after the first; the third is done 5 months after the second - so that's 0, 1 and 6 months.

You don't need the Hep B for yourself. You only need to be concerned with the MMR and Td - you can clear your mind of all other jabs.

Here is the vaccination requirements for UK residents, straight off the embassy website:

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_web...ccinechart.htm

Of all the things to worry about in the visa process, vaccinations are not it. Anything you are missing at this stage can be given by Dr Phelan or at AOS. You won't be denied your visa and you won't delay the process because of missing jabs.
Old May 10th 2002, 5:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ameriscot is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Donna Maindraul
In article <[email protected]>, abi <[email protected]> wrote:

<i><font size=-2 color=darkgreen>> Oh, did anyone else have to show proof of having their BCG?</font></i>

That vaccine isn't approved for use in the US, so you don't need it at all. Since
you've had it, don't bother with the skin test that we give in the US to screen for
antibodies. You have them. Just ask for the chest X-ray immediately.

You might have a hard time explaining that you've been vaccinated for tuberculosis
since as far as US doctors are concerned, no tuberculosis vaccine exists. Presumably
the INS doctors are aware that Europeans disagree on this, but I wouldn't want to try
to explain it to a school nurse.

-Donna
In London, they don't do the skin test at all (since most people have had the BCG), so it's straight to the x-ray. Children and pregnant women are exempt from the x-ray.

When I took my children to their first paed visit in the US in order to get the state-mandated Mantoux skin test for new residents, she asked if they had had the BCG as infants. With-it paeds are aware of what goes on outside the US, and is perhaps something to keep in mind when finding a doctor for foreign children. I don't know about other states, but Ohio says that the skin test has to be carried out under the supervision of a doctor - the school nurse just files away the bits of paper.
Old May 10th 2002, 6:20 pm
Ranjini

I do understand that. That is why I qualified by saying sometimes... because some
consulates do. And that too if you have never had it before. As for myself, I've
never had chicken pox and have heard it can be quite devastating when you have it in
adulthood. I was quite happy to go along with the consulate doctor and have it for
that reason. It was new on the market at the time and fairly expensive. My k2 and I
had two shots each, which cost quite a bit. I could have just said I had had it and
he wouldn't have given it to me. The way I looked at it, it was for our own
protection. Ranjini

"Ameriscot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Ranjini wrote:
    > > You could save yourself the trouble of going back and forth to your doctor for
    > > your vaccination record by just complying with the
consulate
    > > requirements. Which, usually, is pretty basic. MMR and TD. Sometimes Varicella.
    > > Ranjini
    >
    >
    >
    > UK residents are not required to have the varicella (chicken pox) vaccine. It is
    > not available electively in the UK - it is basically only given to people at grave
    > risk of chicken pox, typically newborn babies whose mothers had chicken pox in the
    > last few weeks of pregnancy.
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > http://www.ameriscot.com/i130
    >
    > http://www.ameriscot.com/i130
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old May 16th 2002, 5:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

tara is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Andy Platt

There is so much concern over the rise of TB in immigrant-heavy areas of the US that
I wouldn't be surprised if they made it compulsory to take isoniazid (INH) for the
six to nine month period for anyone failing the skintest - even if they fail because
of BCG . This is just a personal opinion though - don't anyone ask where I heard
this because I haven't heard it and it may never happen!!!

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.
[/B]

Have you seen this visa bulletin Andy?

http://travel.state.gov/state53170.html

We also faced the option of isoniazid after a positive Mantoux, and a face to xray conversation with the Health Department.

In the end. the best reason they could give us for him to start on the 9 month treatment was that it was FREE.