British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   visa vaccinations. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/visa-vaccinations-108199/)

abi May 9th 2002 1:06 pm

visa vaccinations.

Sorry guys n gals to keep clogging up this forum with question upon question...but I find they pop into my head frequently! I do have another question. I had my BCG vaccination when I was about 14 or so, its a standard one they give ya when ur at school...anyway, did anyone have to have this one again for the fiance visa requirements? Yesterday I had my MMR and last week I had my Diptheria, but it never occured to me whether I would need the BCG again..I still have a big scar on my arm from the first one I had! Anyway, if you good people could tell me please what jabs you had to have at the embassy or prior to emmigration, I would much appreciate it! Cheers! :)

Ameriscot May 9th 2002 2:08 pm

Re: visa vaccinations.

You don't need the BCG. You'll be given a chest xray at the interview to rule out active TB.

Ranjini May 9th 2002 3:20 pm

BCG is not a requirement. MMR and tetanus are. And sometimes varicella (chicken pox)
depending on the consulate. Hope this helps. Ranjini

"abi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Sorry guys n gals to keep clogging up this forum with question upon question...but
    > I find they pop into my head frequently! I do have another question. I had my BCG
    > vaccination when I was about 14 or so, its a standard one they give ya when ur at
    > school...anyway, did anyone have to have this one again for the fiance visa
    > requirements? Yesterday I had my MMR and last week I had my Diptheria, but it never
    > occured to me whether I would need the BCG again..I still have a big scar on my arm
    > from the first one I had! Anyway, if you good people could tell me please what jabs
    > you had to have at the embassy or prior to emmigration, I would much appreciate it!
    > Cheers! :)
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Koheve May 10th 2002 12:20 am

I had my BCG when I was 12 (I think) and had a scar on my arm too but the doctor told
me during my medical examination that I need proof for that shot or any other shots
you've had.

US consulate requires proper documentation.

Kacey May 10th 2002 1:20 am

slight change of topic... I was under the impression that even if immunization
shots are needed, they do not have to be done prior to receiving visa, but MUST be
done prior to AOS (i.e. they can be done after arriving in the US). Am I way off
base here?

My fiance does not currently have any insurance coverage in Germany, so we were
hoping that he could get the shots shortly after we marry, once he is (hopefully)
covered under my insurance.

"KohEve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > I had my BCG when I was 12 (I think) and had a scar on my arm too but the doctor
    > told me during my medical examination that I need proof for that
shot or
    > any other shots you've had.
    >
    > US consulate requires proper documentation.
    >

Ranjini May 10th 2002 1:20 am

Which consulate?? Ranjini

"KohEve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > I had my BCG when I was 12 (I think) and had a scar on my arm too but the doctor
    > told me during my medical examination that I need proof for that
shot or
    > any other shots you've had.
    >
    > US consulate requires proper documentation.
    >

. May 10th 2002 2:20 am

"kacey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > slight change of topic... I was under the impression that even if immunization
    > shots are needed,
they
    > do not have to be done prior to receiving visa, but MUST be done prior to AOS (i.e.
    > they can be done after arriving in the US). Am I way off base here?

No you are not off-base. They can be done in the US, you will need to provide the
evidence at AOS.

> My fiance does not currently have any insurance coverage in Germany, so we were
    > hoping that he could get the shots shortly after we marry, once he is (hopefully)
    > covered under my insurance.
    >
    > "KohEve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I had my BCG when I was 12 (I think) and had a scar on my arm too but
the
    > > doctor told me during my medical examination that I need proof for that
    > shot or
    > > any other shots you've had.
    > >
    > > US consulate requires proper documentation.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    >

abi May 10th 2002 10:43 am

Oh, did anyone else have to show proof of having their BCG? I only thought the embassy in london needed to see what jabs were done in the last ten years. So I guess I need anther trip back to my doctors to show I have had the BCG when I was 14? I am 29 now.

Ameriscot May 10th 2002 11:32 am

London is only interested in the MMR and Td. They don't give a monkey's about BCG, chicken pox or anything else. You can tell them when you had it, even show them the little white lump on your arm, but they don't need documented evidence of it.

Check your son's vaccination record too. He will probably need to start the Hepatitis B series, in addition to having all his standard UK jabs.

OT - if your child was given the BCG at birth (unlikely in Dorset; more an inner city thing), then he may well 'fail' the Mantoux skin test required by some states for school entry. If you fall into this category, it's good to give warning to the paediatrician in the US beforehand. And while you are in contact with your GP and/or Health Visitor, make sure you get a signed/stamped copy of all the vaccinations he has had since birth - he'll need this for the visa anyway. The schools are really picky about vaccinations here. If he has had chickenpox, get your GP to give you a letter saying so.

Andy Platt May 10th 2002 2:20 pm

"Ameriscot" <[email protected]> wrote:

> OT - if your child was given the BCG at birth (unlikely in Dorset; more an inner
    > city thing), then he may well 'fail' the Mantoux skin test required by some states
    > for school entry. If you fall into this

There is so much concern over the rise of TB in immigrant-heavy areas of the US that
I wouldn't be surprised if they made it compulsory to take isoniazid (INH) for the
six to nine month period for anyone failing the skintest - even if they fail because
of BCG :(. This is just a personal opinion though - don't anyone ask where I heard
this because I haven't heard it and it may never happen!!!

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

abi May 10th 2002 3:16 pm

My child is 8. So do I therefore need to start his hepetitis b series jabs in order to get the visa at the london embassy (we are doing the K1 fiance visa)? Also, I have my son's little red book that is issued when children are born that contains all medical stuff including immunizations. Would this be sufficient proof of what jabs he has had? He is up to date on all his jabs that are standard required in the UK, ie, tetanus, mmr, polio, diptheria etc. I have heard that the embassy need propper documentation concerning jabs, in order to pass the medical for the visa, but i have also heard that if need be they can be done in the US prior to AOS. I am very confused now! Can anyone advise please?

Ranjini May 10th 2002 3:20 pm

> Oh, did anyone else have to show proof of having their BCG? I only thought the
    > embassy in london needed to see what jabs were done in the last ten years. So I
    > guess I need anther trip back to my doctors to show I have had the BCG when I was
    > 14? I am 29 now.
    >
    >
    >
    > --

Ranjini May 10th 2002 3:20 pm

You could save yourself the trouble of going back and forth to your doctor for your
vaccination record by just complying with the consulate requirements. Which, usually,
is pretty basic. MMR and TD. Sometimes Varicella. Ranjini

> Oh, did anyone else have to show proof of having their BCG? I only thought the
    > embassy in london needed to see what jabs were done in the last ten years. So I
    > guess I need anther trip back to my doctors to show I have had the BCG when I was
    > 14? I am 29 now.
    >
    >
    >
    > --

Ameriscot May 10th 2002 4:07 pm

Originally posted by abi
My child is 8. So do I therefore need to start his hepetitis b series jabs in order to get the visa at the london embassy (we are doing the K1 fiance visa)? Also, I have my son's little red book that is issued when children are born that contains all medical stuff including immunizations. Would this be sufficient proof of what jabs he has had? He is up to date on all his jabs that are standard required in the UK, ie, tetanus, mmr, polio, diptheria etc. I have heard that the embassy need propper documentation concerning jabs, in order to pass the medical for the visa, but i have also heard that if need be they can be done in the US prior to AOS. I am very confused now! Can anyone advise please?
Hepatitis B is a necessary vaccination for a K2 immigrant. However, it takes six months to complete the series, so most likely, he won't manage this before the interview. As you are aware, any incomplete vaccinations can be caught up at AOS.

He will also likely need the Hepatitis B series in order to go to school - it depends on each state's requirements, but in Ohio all pupils in grades K-3 for the next academic year must have at least started this course before enrolling. He will also need a fifth dose of DTP for school, but not for the visa.

The embassy needs proper documentation of the jabs, but only the ones they specify - not the ones they don't. I don't know if the red book is sufficient or not (mine wouldn't have been). It depends on things like full signatures vs initials etc. My children didn't need visas, but for school entry, I got a printout from the GP's computer of what each of them had and when. This was just fine, as it had the dates, batch numbers of each jab, as well as the practice stamp, signed by the practice manager.

Ameriscot May 10th 2002 4:10 pm

Originally posted by Ranjini
You could save yourself the trouble of going back and forth to your doctor for your
vaccination record by just complying with the consulate requirements. Which, usually,
is pretty basic. MMR and TD. Sometimes Varicella. Ranjini

UK residents are not required to have the varicella (chicken pox) vaccine. It is not available electively in the UK - it is basically only given to people at grave risk of chicken pox, typically newborn babies whose mothers had chicken pox in the last few weeks of pregnancy.