Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Visa Question pretty urgent!

Visa Question pretty urgent!

Old Jan 19th 2006, 11:27 pm
Just Joined

eims is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Visa Question pretty urgent!

Iam working for my UK firm in the USA, I have a in lieu of H1B visa and when I entered the US in November my passport was stamped and I was given three months. I returned home at Christmas and have arrived back this week - my passport was stamped with a new date giving me until April. My main question is which date do I have to abide with to remain within US Immigration law.

I would really appreciate any help/advice anyone could give me on this!!

Thanks!
Old Jan 19th 2006, 11:37 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa Question pretty urgent!

Originally Posted by eims
Iam working for my UK firm in the USA, I have a in lieu of H1B visa and when I entered the US in November my passport was stamped and I was given three months. I returned home at Christmas and have arrived back this week - my passport was stamped with a new date giving me until April. My main question is which date do I have to abide with to remain within US Immigration law.

Thanks!
I'm confused: WHAT do you have in lieu of an H1B visa? Since you said you can stay for "three months" (probably 90 days) then I'm assuming you're here on the VWP (visa waiver program).

If that's true, then there should really be TWO questions in your post: 1) How long can I stay in the US currently? and 2) Am I allowed to work in the US while here on the VWP?

As for the first question, assuming you were here before on the VWP also, the clock stopped the moment you left the US. A new clock started when you reentered the US. So, you can stay until April.

As for the second question, the answer is no.

~ Jenney
Old Jan 19th 2006, 11:44 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
I'm confused: WHAT do you have in lieu of an H1B visa? Since you said you can stay for "three months" (probably 90 days) then I'm assuming you're here on the VWP (visa waiver program).

If that's true, then there should really be TWO questions in your post: 1) How long can I stay in the US currently? and 2) Am I allowed to work in the US while here on the VWP?

As for the first question, assuming you were here before on the VWP also, the clock stopped the moment you left the US. A new clock started when you reentered the US. So, you can stay until April.

As for the second question, the answer is no.

~ Jenney
I'm guessing this punter is still getting paid in the UK - my old outsourcing firm used to send us out here on the VWP to work and we got away with it. If they ever asked at the airport you said you were here for training or a conference.
I didn't realise you could have multiple 3 month stays on the VWP though -I thought it was just 3 months in any rolling 12 month period - you live and learn.
Old Jan 19th 2006, 11:46 pm
Just Joined

eims is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Visa Question pretty urgent!

Thanks for the feedback!

I should clarify myself I did a Visa interview at the consulate and the visa that I was issued with was a year long B-1 in Lieu of H-1B Visa - Doing Business in the USA allowing me to work in the US, yet does not require the filing and approval of a petition to the US Citizenship and Immigration Services like most work visas do. It also does not involve a US employer.

Upon entry into the USA on this my passport was stamped saying I had only a three month entry, i went home for Christmas and on my return was given another stamp for three months, even though the first three month period has not yet expired, I suppose my real question is which stamp date is the date that I must leave?

Thanks again in advance for any help anyone can give!!
Old Jan 19th 2006, 11:54 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!
My advice would be to post in the US Visas forum on BE. Plenty of threads on subjects such as yours.

NC Penguin
Old Jan 20th 2006, 1:41 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Weird. I thought B-1 for work was six months with option to extend for six more. Better stick it in the visa forum.
Old Jan 20th 2006, 6:16 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Weird. I thought B-1 for work was six months with option to extend for six more. Better stick it in the visa forum.
There are certain circumstances where a B1 can be used, this must be one of them.

The pertinant date is the one on the I94. A Visa is an entry document, status is determined by I94, in this case 3 months.
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

ShelleyMan will become famous soon enough

We have just been going through a similar problem, we have E2 visa's the visa expires in March 2006, but our I-94 has a diffent date, April 2007, we were told that we were allowed to stay until the date on the I94 and did not have to worry about the visa, when we next leave the US we need to get our visa renewed in the country we had it issued - so if we stay in the US we have no worries - we just have to pay $200 to have the I-94 extended when it is about to expire. There are different rules on all visa's so best to call DHS for clarification.

Thanks for the feedback!

I should clarify myself I did a Visa interview at the consulate and the visa that I was issued with was a year long B-1 in Lieu of H-1B Visa - Doing Business in the USA allowing me to work in the US, yet does not require the filing and approval of a petition to the US Citizenship and Immigration Services like most work visas do. It also does not involve a US employer.

Upon entry into the USA on this my passport was stamped saying I had only a three month entry, i went home for Christmas and on my return was given another stamp for three months, even though the first three month period has not yet expired, I suppose my real question is which stamp date is the date that I must leave?

Thanks again in advance for any help anyone can give!!
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 7:41 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ShelleyMan
There are different rules on all visa's so best to call DHS for clarification.

The last place to call is DHS (presumably you mean the 1-800 USCIS #) for any advice you can assuredly act upon. It is not known here as the misinformation line for nothing.
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

ShelleyMan will become famous soon enough

My appologies - I had called so many different numbers, listened to so many recordings, that it's a bit of a blur right now.

Originally Posted by fatbrit
The last place to call is DHS (presumably you mean the 1-800 USCIS #) for any advice you can assuredly act upon. It is not known here as the misinformation line for nothing.
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 8:11 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ShelleyMan
My appologies - I had called so many different numbers, listened to so many recordings, that it's a bit of a blur right now.

It's okay! Don't act on ANYTHING they tell you on that line as it's a contracted out service.
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 11:08 pm
Here we go Pittsburgh!

ukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
I'm guessing this punter is still getting paid in the UK - my old outsourcing firm used to send us out here on the VWP to work and we got away with it. If they ever asked at the airport you said you were here for training or a conference.
I didn't realise you could have multiple 3 month stays on the VWP though -I thought it was just 3 months in any rolling 12 month period - you live and learn.
A colleague I know did that but was eventually caught and lots of awkward questions were asked. They sent him home immediately and all his stuff was left here for a long time