Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Visa Question

Visa Question

Old Jul 31st 2002, 6:38 pm
Just Joined

rupa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa Question

My friend has applied for H1. But his wife holds a green card. She came to India to get married and now they are moving back.

My questions:

1. Will it be difficult for my friend to enter the US with a H1 if the INS knows that his wife is a green card holder?

2. Can the INS deny him an H1 if they find out that his wife is a green card holder?

3. Is it okay that his company processes his H1 and he enters the US, without tagging along with his wife?

Thanking you,

rc
Old Aug 1st 2002, 1:20 am
Sylvia Ottemoel

Default Re: Visa Question

rupa wrote:

> My friend has applied for H1. But his wife holds a green card. She came to India to
    > get married and now they are moving back.
    >
    > My questions:
    >
    > 1. Will it be difficult for my friend to enter the US with a H1 if the INS knows
    > that his wife is a green card holder?

No. H-1B status allows dual intent.

> 2. Can the INS deny him an H1 if they find out that his wife is a green card
    > holder?

No, they cannot deny an H-1B petition, nor can a U.S. consular post deny an H-1B visa
application, based on this reason. This is written into the law.

> 3. Is it okay that his company processes his H1 and he enters the US, without
    > tagging along with his wife?

Yes. He could not "tag along" with his wife anyway for about 6 or 7 years, depending
on how close she is to U.S. citizenship.