Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Visa Question

Visa Question

Old Jul 21st 2002, 4:55 pm
Just Joined

rupa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa Question

My friend has a B1 Visa. Is it possible that she travels to the US with that particular Visa while his H1 gets processed? Can she change it from B1 to H1? If so, how?
Old Jul 22nd 2002, 12:20 am
Ingo Pakleppa

Default Re: Visa Question

On Sun, 21 Jul 2002 11:20:02 -0700, rupa wrote:

> My friend has a B1 Visa. Is it possible that she travels to the US with that
    > particular Visa while his H1 gets processed? Can she change it from B1 to H1? If
    > so, how?

Traveling to the US as a tourist or business visitor while an H-1B is pending is NOT
recommended. I did it eight years ago, and was admitted after being grilled for an
hour about my intent to return rather than change status in the US - and then I was
only admitted for five weeks rather than the customary six months, and with the
annotation "no change of status".

In theory, you could change from B-1 to H-1B in the US. In practice, that is probably
not feasible because changing to H-1B means, you have to file a completely new H-1B.

Ingo