Reload this Page >

visa for long term tourist?

visa for long term tourist?

Old Jan 7th 2008, 6:01 am
Just Joined

phil-flan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default visa for long term tourist?

hi

my partner and i are currently here in Santa Fe having gained entry via visa waiver program (we are both british)
we have our own vehicle and are taking 7 to 10 years to travel around the world.
having now shipped our vehicle here from korea we are realising that 3 months is way to short a time ! we had hoped to just renew whenever needed by just crossing borders into either Canada or Mexico but i have learnt that this is not a guaranteed way to gain another 3 months under the vwp.
We really expect to be touring america for anything up to 4 years (nipping back home to UK when weather gets too uncomfortable here) so spending maybe 8 months in a year here but as i say over the next 4 years.

I have heard of the option of a 10 year visa being obtained ?
is this true ?
if so, then how do i go about requesting one ?
if not true, then anybody got any suggestions?

thanks
Phil.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 9:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: visa for long term tourist?

Welcome to BE. I believe that others more knowledgable will be along shortly, but on VWP maximum is day under 6 months only.10 yrs visa only applies to green card and you'll not get one, in your circumstances.read up on search system, plenty of info on there.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 12:40 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: visa for long term tourist?

Originally Posted by Dogbyte
Welcome to BE. I believe that others more knowledgable will be along shortly, but on VWP maximum is day under 6 months only.10 yrs visa only applies to green card and you'll not get one, in your circumstances.read up on search system, plenty of info on there.

The Visa Waiver is only for a max of 90 days!

Even in the days when British tourists had to have a visa to visit the US, the maximum time you could visit was (I seem to recall) 6 months per visit. The visa was annotated 'Multiple entry valid for 10 years' ie. the visa was valid for 10 years but you certainly couldn't stay in the US for that length of time! Unfortunately you can't get these visas by post anymore and have to have an interview at a US Embassy AFAIK....google the US Embassy website in London or perhaps Canada or Mexico.

However, you can't make multiple *frequent* entries to the US on a visa waiver without raising the suspicions of the POE (port of entry) officers and run a strong risk of being denied entry.....I've often read on these boards that you need to spend at least as long outside the US as your intended next visit.

I can only think that it might be best to see if you can get the B1/B2 visas and provide plenty of evidence that you can not only support yourselves but provide ample evidence that you have strong ties to the UK (eg. property, job(!) that the consular officers are convinced that you will return there and not try and stay in the US.

Sorry, probably not what you want to hear but that's the way it is.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 2:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
The Visa Waiver is only for a max of 90 days!

Even in the days when British tourists had to have a visa to visit the US, the maximum time you could visit was (I seem to recall) 6 months per visit. The visa was annotated 'Multiple entry valid for 10 years' ie. the visa was valid for 10 years but you certainly couldn't stay in the US for that length of time! Unfortunately you can't get these visas by post anymore and have to have an interview at a US Embassy AFAIK....google the US Embassy website in London or perhaps Canada or Mexico.

However, you can't make multiple *frequent* entries to the US on a visa waiver without raising the suspicions of the POE (port of entry) officers and run a strong risk of being denied entry.....I've often read on these boards that you need to spend at least as long outside the US as your intended next visit.

I can only think that it might be best to see if you can get the B1/B2 visas and provide plenty of evidence that you can not only support yourselves but provide ample evidence that you have strong ties to the UK (eg. property, job(!) that the consular officers are convinced that you will return there and not try and stay in the US.

Sorry, probably not what you want to hear but that's the way it is.
I think the B1/B2 only allows six months at a time.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 2:14 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by phil-flan
hi

my partner and i are currently here in Santa Fe having gained entry via visa waiver program (we are both british)
we have our own vehicle and are taking 7 to 10 years to travel around the world.
having now shipped our vehicle here from korea we are realising that 3 months is way to short a time ! we had hoped to just renew whenever needed by just crossing borders into either Canada or Mexico but i have learnt that this is not a guaranteed way to gain another 3 months under the vwp.
We really expect to be touring america for anything up to 4 years (nipping back home to UK when weather gets too uncomfortable here) so spending maybe 8 months in a year here but as i say over the next 4 years.

I have heard of the option of a 10 year visa being obtained ?
is this true ?
if so, then how do i go about requesting one ?
if not true, then anybody got any suggestions?

thanks
Phil.
My suggestion is to re-evaluate your travel plans since what you have in mind is not possible
Old Jan 7th 2008, 2:17 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Visa waiver ..90 days in 90 days out

B-2 visa ... 180 days in 180 days out ..

and all will be safe and happy
Old Jan 7th 2008, 2:18 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

Hang on here. Travelling into and out of the USA under the VWP more likely will NOT cause a problem as I am assuming YOU can absolutely prove you do not have any finacial need to work and are fully self sustaining (Travel Insurance) and all that.

Sure, it's not guaranteed BUT a lot of people do the VWP who do not have the means to be self-supporting and get away with it BUT in your case, you should be OK.

Since you are not breaking any laws, you are at the mercy of the POE BUT with good evidence as above, *I* think you'll be fine. IMHO.

Do NOT however even think about staying over the 90 days and keep ALL docuemntation (proof of self-sustaining) with you. If you are staying in HOTELS - even better - keep all the receipts because this again proves you as a tourist.... proof proof proof and you'll be fine.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 4:35 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

D'oh...

B1/2 visa might be valid for 10 years, but it's the stamp on the I-94 that counts, usually not longer than six months...chances of getting it if your not retired and able to use the VWP are slim.

Consider touring Canada...
Old Jan 7th 2008, 4:51 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by franc11s
Hang on here. Travelling into and out of the USA under the VWP more likely will NOT cause a problem as I am assuming YOU can absolutely prove you do not have any finacial need to work and are fully self sustaining (Travel Insurance) and all that.

Sure, it's not guaranteed BUT a lot of people do the VWP who do not have the means to be self-supporting and get away with it BUT in your case, you should be OK.
For 8 months of a year, for four years running?

Uh, I don't think so.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Colleagues managed to get a 12 month stamp once. Both UKC he was working here - girlfriend not but she got the tourist visa lived on it for 18 months (they are married now) they had some trying times at POE but she always got in. Employer supported and showed she didnt need to work etc etc but this was unusal case
Old Jan 8th 2008, 2:47 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big D
she got the tourist visa lived on it for 18 months
That's the thing -- you aren't supposed to "live here" on a tourist visa. You're supposed to be a tourist. It's too bad the OP didn't consider that before importing his car here from Korea.

~ Jenney
Old Jan 8th 2008, 2:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
That's the thing -- you aren't supposed to "live here" on a tourist visa. You're supposed to be a tourist. It's too bad the OP didn't consider that before importing his car here from Korea.

~ Jenney
Yes I know but it can be used that way - thats the circumstances that they were issued it, like i said it was unusual, but at least it didnt force them to get married before coming over - our company has had some example of that which went badly wrong!
Old Jan 8th 2008, 3:15 am

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

Sorry mate, no effing way.