Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

visa interviews

visa interviews

Old Jan 5th 2004, 10:18 pm
spiggle meister

Location: Manchester-Surrey-Coventry-Hampshire-West Yorkshire, now Woodland Hills,CA!
crazi_daizi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default visa interviews

hola! Any idea how long it takes to get the interview with the US Embassy in London for the visas? Cheers
Old Jan 5th 2004, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

ireland132 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am not sure at what stage of the visa application process you are at, but I think it was about 5 weeks from calling them to getting our H1-B visa interview back in August 2003.

The total length of time from starting the visa application to having the visa in my hand was just under 3 months. Pretty darn quick in fact.

Good luck.
Old Jan 5th 2004, 10:33 pm
spiggle meister

Location: Manchester-Surrey-Coventry-Hampshire-West Yorkshire, now Woodland Hills,CA!
crazi_daizi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ireland132
I am not sure at what stage of the visa application process you are at, but I think it was about 5 weeks from calling them to getting our H1-B visa interview back in August 2003.

The total length of time from starting the visa application to having the visa in my hand was just under 3 months. Pretty darn quick in fact.

Good luck.
I'm not sure where we are up to either! Our paperwork is about to be filed by the attorney in the USA, then we have to arrange our interview, just wondered how long we are looking at now, the website for the embassy isn't too helpful!

Ta
Old Jan 5th 2004, 11:26 pm
Forum Regular

ireland132 is an unknown quantity at this point

If your paperwork is about to be filed and you are using the fast service (i.e. pay extra) then you can expect the papers you need back with the attorney (in the US) in about 15 days max. Then you need them in your hands to take to the interview.

I suggest you call the London interview embassy number and see what current wait is. They were very helpful to me on phone. You can always cancel and rebook.

The interview is fine, by the way. As long as you have nothing to hide and have nothing suspect on the DS156 or DS157.

You wait about 2-3hrs and spend about 2-3 minutes at the counter.
Old Jan 5th 2004, 11:27 pm
Just Joined

Limbo is an unknown quantity at this point

The embassy appt was really quick we had to wait a week for an appointment but choose to wait longer as we still hadn't received our american documents (for us it was the I-797). I would advise you not to make an appointment until then, and be prepared for a 4 hour queue once you get there.

Make sure you have one set of documents sent to you for every member of your family planning to come here and fee, as we were only sent one set then had a mad dash on the day to get to a bank and fill out another set of forms, nearly missing our appt.

You also don't have to do it in London; Amsterdam and Belfast also process applications and some people have said it is much quicker.