Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Visa confusion

Visa confusion

Old Nov 13th 2018, 10:17 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa confusion

Originally Posted by GeneralPowerpoint
couldn't you just get married normally?
That's something I never understand. Willing to give up their entire life and move to another country, but not willing to get married in order to be together .
Old Nov 13th 2018, 10:20 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MuteAlligator
Hi,

Seeing there is no longer an option for simply being in a relationship, we were going to get a civil partnership and have both discussed this and agreed it would be the best option for us.
I'm genuinely interested in why you find it preferable to sign one piece of paper, and not another. (Civil partnerships came along long after I left the UK.) Would you mind describing why the partnership is beneficial? Thanks!
Old Nov 14th 2018, 5:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
I'm genuinely interested in why you find it preferable to sign one piece of paper, and not another. (Civil partnerships came along long after I left the UK.) Would you mind describing why the partnership is beneficial? Thanks!
Indeed that does seem odd. AIUI UK civil partnerships are effectively marriage in all but name, brought in originally to allow gay couples the benefit of marriage when actual same-sex marriage wasn't quite at the point of general acceptance. I know the UK government has decided to allow heterosexual couples to get civil partnerships so that there is no discrimination in either direction, but they could just as well deemed existing civil partnerships to be marriages and abolished new civil partnerships instead.
Old Nov 14th 2018, 10:30 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
Indeed that does seem odd. AIUI UK civil partnerships are effectively marriage in all but name, brought in originally to allow gay couples the benefit of marriage when actual same-sex marriage wasn't quite at the point of general acceptance. I know the UK government has decided to allow heterosexual couples to get civil partnerships so that there is no discrimination in either direction, but they could just as well deemed existing civil partnerships to be marriages and abolished new civil partnerships instead.

I’m interested to know what is the difference between whipping into the registry office and having a lawyer (I presume that’s how it works) draw up a contract. If the relationship comes to grief, both have to be dissolved.
Old Nov 15th 2018, 5:23 am
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

I’m interested to know what is the difference between whipping into the registry office and having a lawyer (I presume that’s how it works) draw up a contract. If the relationship comes to grief, both have to be dissolved.
What civil partnerships in the UK? No lawyers or contracts involved I believe. AIUI you go through a registry office ceremony that’s akin to the civil marriage one. It’s marriage in all but name.
Old Nov 15th 2018, 1:47 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Originally Posted by rpjs

What civil partnerships in the UK? No lawyers or contracts involved I believe. AIUI you go through a registry office ceremony that’s akin to the civil marriage one. It’s marriage in all but name.
I see. I figured that if it wasn't a "ceremony" it must be another form of legal contract of some kind -- I mean, something must be signed somewhere? And therefore to dissolve the partnership, it would presumably involve more paperwork? I'm just interested to figure out why a couple would see one as preferable to the other.
Old Nov 16th 2018, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

I see. I figured that if it wasn't a "ceremony" it must be another form of legal contract of some kind -- I mean, something must be signed somewhere? And therefore to dissolve the partnership, it would presumably involve more paperwork? I'm just interested to figure out why a couple would see one as preferable to the other.
Agreed. Yes, to dissolve a UK civil partnership the partners go through a process akin to divorce.