British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Visa being processed - How to get the rest of the relocation ball rolling (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/visa-being-processed-how-get-rest-relocation-ball-rolling-905425/)

MrShine Nov 3rd 2017 8:23 pm

Visa being processed - How to get the rest of the relocation ball rolling

Hi,

I'm a British citizen and i've landed myself a 5 year job in North Carolina. I'm in the middle of applying for a sponsored J1 visa and given a start date for my new job of 8th Jan.

<snip>

I've been googling, searching, and reading, but i'm struggling to work out a relocation plan on my own - especially as all I can seem to find are unhelpful adverts.

I was thinking of booking an AirBnB from 2nd Jan for 2 weeks, then using that time to set up a bank account and search for an apartment to lease. I can set up viewings in advance from the UK. There's a lot of apartment availability in this city and i've been recommended a few buildings already.

Can anyone help me out with a guide or checklist for relocating?

Thanks in advance.

tom169 Nov 3rd 2017 9:06 pm

Re: Visa being processed - How to get the rest of the relocation ball rolling

Which North Carolina city out of curiosity?

MrShine Nov 3rd 2017 9:14 pm

Winston-Salem

Noorah101 Nov 3rd 2017 9:22 pm

I think our Wiki Guide has a Relocation guide, check it out.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Compan...on_Packages_US

Rene

Noodler Nov 3rd 2017 9:25 pm

Just coming to the end of this process myslef and made a trip out to Denver for a week on the 21/10 and amke my final move 16/11.

Knowing what I have learnt along the journey I could do it all myself now. Luckily my company were fantastic and allocated me a really good budget and a relocation agent thatbsorted everything from research trip, to temp apartments when we move and rental cars, ssn and bank accounts plus tax issues etc.

It is a big move and a lot of risk so I would be pushing back to your company and asking them to sort things out. If they aren’t willing to move mountains to get you there when what will it be like when you arrive?

The company I am working for have committed so much in time and dollars to get me there. I also have a contractual agreement that should they terminate my employment they will cover all my repatriation costs.

SanDiegogirl Nov 3rd 2017 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by Noodler (Post 12374354)
Just coming to the end of this process myslef and made a trip out to Denver for a week on the 21/10 and amke my final move 16/11.

Knowing what I have learnt along the journey I could do it all myself now. Luckily my company were fantastic and allocated me a really good budget and a relocation agent thatbsorted everything from research trip, to temp apartments when we move and rental cars, ssn and bank accounts plus tax issues etc.

It is a big move and a lot of risk so I would be pushing back to your company and asking them to sort things out. If they aren’t willing to move mountains to get you there when what will it be like when you arrive?

The company I am working for have committed so much in time and dollars to get me there. I also have a contractual agreement that should they terminate my employment they will cover all my repatriation costs.

..... and what visa do you hold?

SanDiegogirl Nov 3rd 2017 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by MrShine (Post 12374318)
Hi,

I'm a British citizen and i've landed myself a 5 year job in North Carolina. I'm in the middle of applying for a sponsored J1 visa and given a start date for my new job of 8th Jan.

<snip>

I've been googling, searching, and reading, but i'm struggling to work out a relocation plan on my own - especially as all I can seem to find are unhelpful adverts.

I was thinking of booking an AirBnB from 2nd Jan for 2 weeks, then using that time to set up a bank account and search for an apartment to lease. I can set up viewings in advance from the UK. There's a lot of apartment availability in this city and i've been recommended a few buildings already.

Can anyone help me out with a guide or checklist for relocating?

Thanks in advance.

What type of job do you land for 5 years and then apply for a J-1?

I thought most J-1 programs had a 2 year "home residency" element to them.

SanDiegogirl Nov 3rd 2017 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 12374377)
..... and what visa do you hold?

Found the answer - you are on an O1 visa.

Pulaski Nov 3rd 2017 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 12374383)
What type of job do you land for 5 years and then apply for a J-1?

I thought most J-1 programs had a 2 year "home residency" element to them.

Good question! I was thinking the same thing. :nod:

I can't help but wonder who the employer is, or the nature of the job, and whether the employer knows what they are doing? :unsure:

MrShine Nov 4th 2017 9:07 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12374411)
Good question! I was thinking the same thing. :nod:

I can't help but wonder who the employer is, or the nature of the job, and whether the employer knows what they are doing? :unsure:

It's a science research job. 5 years made up of five 1-year rolling contracts. I read on the Homeland security website that under the 'research scholar program' the visa can be continually renewed for a maximum 5 year stay. For the first 2 year I'm considered a non-resident and don't pay social security. Then for the last 3 years I become a resident and have to pay social security.

SanDiegogirl Nov 4th 2017 6:25 pm

If you are with a small research company and/or attached to education establishment, this is probably why you are not getting much help/finances for relocation.

Relocation assistance and monetary help is most usual for larger commercial companies hiring/transferring workers.

You are on the right track - accommodation first, bank account, get your Social Security number within a few week, purchase car (?)

Google Winston Salem and you'll find accommodation agencies.

Without a credit history you'll probably have to pay hefty deposits for rentals/utilities.

shiversaint Nov 4th 2017 7:06 pm

I think the idea that relocation is so difficult is somewhat overblown. Whilst financial and logistical assistance is nice, it's not at all necessary when coming from the UK to another English speaking country that has relatively straightforward customs.

I would agree that your 2 week AirBNB plan is sound. The recommendations you've been given on accommodation beyond that are probably better than you will get on here or on the internet in general, given they are localised.

The major things for me are the following:

- Accomodation (I found many listings won't take your seriously without a US number, by the way)
- Cell Phone (you can go into Verizon and obtain a prepay rolling monthly deal for a modest amount, and use an existing phone if you have a spare. Sprint are better value if you need a phone, but their service is worse. MintSim are a great, cheap online provider that you can move to long term. They use the TMobile network and are similar to giffgaff in the UK.)
- Immediate travel to and from work if you're starting straight away (budget for Uber, maybe, or figure out your public transport options)
- Wait around 10 days to 2 weeks to apply for your Social Security Number. Also check your i94 is available online as it's largely the same system that the SS office use to verify your legal presence - if that is not there it will take a very long time to get your SSN.
- Once you have a SSN, you can open a credit card with a deposit against it to start building credit history. Do this as soon as physically possible as credit history makes life a lot easier here. Be prepared for bigger deposits etc on everything until you build that up.
- Once you have your i94 you can apply to the DMV to take your driving test. You do not NEED to have a SSN, no matter what the DMV tell you. You will need a copy of your i94, however. Hire car companies will let you use your UK license.

petitefrancaise Nov 5th 2017 1:30 am

Originally Posted by shiversaint (Post 12374750)
I think the idea that relocation is so difficult is somewhat overblown. Whilst financial and logistical assistance is nice, it's not at all necessary when coming from the UK to another English speaking country that has relatively straightforward customs.

I would agree that your 2 week AirBNB plan is sound. The recommendations you've been given on accommodation beyond that are probably better than you will get on here or on the internet in general, given they are localised.

The major things for me are the following:

- Accomodation (I found many listings won't take your seriously without a US number, by the way)
- Cell Phone (you can go into Verizon and obtain a prepay rolling monthly deal for a modest amount, and use an existing phone if you have a spare. Sprint are better value if you need a phone, but their service is worse. MintSim are a great, cheap online provider that you can move to long term. They use the TMobile network and are similar to giffgaff in the UK.)

- Immediate travel to and from work if you're starting straight away (budget for Uber, maybe, or figure out your public transport options)
- Wait around 10 days to 2 weeks to apply for your Social Security Number. Also check your i94 is available online as it's largely the same system that the SS office use to verify your legal presence - if that is not there it will take a very long time to get your SSN.
- Once you have a SSN, you can open a credit card with a deposit against it to start building credit history. Do this as soon as physically possible as credit history makes life a lot easier here. Be prepared for bigger deposits etc on everything until you build that up.
- Once you have your i94 you can apply to the DMV to take your driving test. You do not NEED to have a SSN, no matter what the DMV tell you. You will need a copy of your i94, however. Hire car companies will let you use your UK license.

So much of this above is incorrect.

Temporary accommodation - air bnb is ok. Remember that you will need proof of residence for bank, cell phone and somewhere for SS Office to send your card safely. Print out your AirBnB receipt showing address with your name on it.

Next go to a Bank
proof of address
2 ID proofs - passport and a current credit/debit card with your name on it. You do not need a SSN for a regular checking account. Ask for temporary debit card and checks. They may ask for a US cellphone number, either get a friend/colleagues number or sign up for a brand new gmail US account when you arrive and get a google voice US number for free. Put google voice on your current phone so that any calls go straight there.
Now you can get a cell phone since you have a way of paying for it and you have proof of address
Mint sim - good idea but they seem to be very slow sending out sims right now. About 7-10 days
Verizon and Sprint you will need no credit check plans. I prefer the t-mobile one.

Social Security Number - go to https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/home - get most recent i-94. If it is showing on here, print it out and you can go immediately to SS Office. In Austin, currently taking 24 hours to show up.

Getting a permanent home-
Last 3 payslips from Uk
possibly 12 months of bank statements
letter of employment showing your name, company, position, manager's name and salary.
A means of paying for lease application fees + possibly admin fees ( for an apartment). Expect to pay 1 month's rent as deposit on an apartment and not any lower.

Driving license
https://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/driver/license/

you do not need to wait until your SSN arrives, they will want to see your passport with visa

Pulaski Nov 5th 2017 1:07 am

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise (Post 12374901)
.... Driving license
https://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/driver/license/

you do not need to wait until your SSN arrives, they will want to see your passport with visa

New residents to NC have 60 days after "establishing permanent residence" to obtain an NC license, which is probably adequate time, but not generous. You will have to take a road "test", which is pretty much a joke - stop at STOP signs and red lights, and try not to kill more than one person and you'll be fine. The written (computer) test asks a bunch of stupid questions, often about drink driving and penalties, and stuff like that, so read the drivers manual which is linked on the DMV Web site.

Do not listen to anyone who says you have 12 months - that is a federal rule for visitors to the US, but once you rent a home, start a job, etc, you will be caught up in the state (in this case NC) rules on needing a local license.

carcajou Nov 5th 2017 1:45 am

Originally Posted by MrShine (Post 12374555)
It's a science research job. 5 years made up of five 1-year rolling contracts. I read on the Homeland security website that under the 'research scholar program' the visa can be continually renewed for a maximum 5 year stay. For the first 2 year I'm considered a non-resident and don't pay social security. Then for the last 3 years I become a resident and have to pay social security.

Wake Forest?