Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Visa approved - we're on the way!!

Wikiposts

Visa approved - we're on the way!!

Old Sep 28th 2005, 2:44 am
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa approved - we're on the way!!

Thinking about your question there are two things I would advise to do straight away when you arrive. One is to apply for a US drivers licence you will have to schedule a test, written and driven, but the quicker you get this out of the way the better. Plus it will make it easier to get car insurance. The second thing is to apply for your social security number as this can take a while to come through but is essential for most things.
Old Sep 28th 2005, 3:07 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

The first and most important thing to do when you get here is memorise this phrase:

Caveat Emptor

And apply it in every single encounter you make where money is concerned.
Old Sep 28th 2005, 3:47 am
C'mon you Dragons

Schnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ladylisa
Thinking about your question there are two things I would advise to do straight away when you arrive. One is to apply for a US drivers licence you will have to schedule a test, written and driven, but the quicker you get this out of the way the better. Plus it will make it easier to get car insurance. The second thing is to apply for your social security number as this can take a while to come through but is essential for most things.
Thanks, luckily I can drive my company car for a few months on my UK license. The breadknife is busy studying the rules and regs for a new license.

With regards to ruby murray, working in the vicinity of Leicester we have enjoyed some fabulous curries over the years and my wife is stocking up on authentic (dried and sealed) spices to send with the furniture. She makes a decent curry! It was our celebration meal when we got our visas, a trip to the curry house!
Old Sep 28th 2005, 3:49 am
C'mon you Dragons

Schnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
<-- Yeah, don't quit wearing your helmet just because you don't have to wear it in Colorado.
You're not wrong. A buddy of mine was riding a Harley last week in CO and he mis-read a turn signal and went into a truck.. Luckiliy he just got some gravel rash but I gave him a hard time about not wearing gloves and long sleeves!!

Unfortunately I have to sell my bike as no-one can guarantee it meets the US emissions standards. Still, it's not all bad news as Triumph will soon be releasing a new better sports bike that I can buy instead
Old Sep 28th 2005, 4:13 am
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Schnorbitz]Thanks, luckily I can drive my company car for a few months on my UK license. The breadknife is busy studying the rules and regs for a new license.

It varies from state to state however in my state we were officially only allowed to drive with our UK licence for 1 month. We strung it out longer which in retrospect I wish we hadnt as our car insurance provider still has us down as new drivers (therefore higher premiums) as although we have been driving here for 3 years we only had our US driving licences for a year and a half. Also it took us a day of phoning around to even get a US insurer to agree to take us on because we didnt have US licences.
Old Sep 28th 2005, 4:31 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=ladylisa]
Originally Posted by Schnorbitz
Thanks, luckily I can drive my company car for a few months on my UK license. The breadknife is busy studying the rules and regs for a new license.

It varies from state to state however in my state we were officially only allowed to drive with our UK licence for 1 month. We strung it out longer which in retrospect I wish we hadnt as our car insurance provider still has us down as new drivers (therefore higher premiums) as although we have been driving here for 3 years we only had our US driving licences for a year and a half. Also it took us a day of phoning around to even get a US insurer to agree to take us on because we didnt have US licences.

Absolutely agree. Getting a licence in the state where you'll be living is both a legal requirement and useful because it takes 3 years to clock up a full no-claims bonus with the insurance companies. The latter is particularly important if you think that you might get a second (non-company) car at some point.
Old Sep 28th 2005, 6:27 am
Forum Regular

cpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of light

[QUOTE=Elvira]
Originally Posted by ladylisa

Absolutely agree. Getting a licence in the state where you'll be living is both a legal requirement and useful because it takes 3 years to clock up a full no-claims bonus with the insurance companies. The latter is particularly important if you think that you might get a second (non-company) car at some point.
In CO you need to get a drivers permit within 6 months, UK licence is OK up till then but that may be a problem for insurance. We got learners permits as soon as we arrived - which at least allowed us to get insurance.

You will also need to retake your test - the written test isnt exactly rocket science and my practical was not far off reversing out of the parking space and making the car go forwards for 10 minutes - You will probably have to start from scratch with insurance - couldnt find anyone to accept my UK record for a discount though!

Oh, and it doesnt snow that much in Denver! and the winter days can be bitterly cold or shirt sleeve - usually both with 24 hours of each other.

Found a few good Indian's (curry ) in the Boulder / Longmont area - dont know about down south in denver though.

Costplus World Market sells curry paste and other UK essentials (expect to pay through the nose for Heinz baked beans) - not found a decent source for Naan bread yet though
Old Sep 28th 2005, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Lottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Perhaps you'd like us to send you some mushy peas from our local Kroger?

...or even a take-away curry from the wonderful Chaat Cafe?

(at least I've convinced myself that there are some positive aspects to living in the suburban wasteland that is Plano, TX!!!)

Stop teasing me, it's not fair