Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Visa approved - we're on the way!!

Visa approved - we're on the way!!

Old Sep 27th 2005, 9:35 pm
C'mon you Dragons

Schnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to behold
Default Visa approved - we're on the way!!

Good news for Mrs Schnorbitz, Schnorbitz jnr and myself. After 3.25 long hours at the US Embassy our L1 (and respective L2) visas were approved. The removals company are coming on Friday, finishing on Tuesday and we are bound for Denver on Thursday.

Excited?? You bet.

On our last visit last week we put our deposit down on our new house, opened bank accounts. At this end (UK) I have sold most of my worldly goods while our family have gratefully pillaged what we aren't taking from our house.

Any further advice?
Old Sep 27th 2005, 9:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa approved - we're on the way!!

Buy warmer jackets. Say goodbye to civilisation as you know it (my husband's words) Have the last decent fish and chips and chinese takeaway that you're going to have in a long time.....can't think of much else.
Old Sep 27th 2005, 9:46 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Schnorbitz

Any further advice?
Ensure that you have at least 2 UK bank accounts - one with your US address, one with a UK address.

Open a unit trust or brokerage account, if you haven't already got one. Don't tell them you are moving abroad.

Inform those you want to know of your move.

Register with the Mail Preference Agency to stop junk mail.

Arrange for with Royal Mail to have your mail forwarded.

There's probably a lot else besides...
Old Sep 27th 2005, 10:08 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Buy some snow shoes (just to get from the house to the car)
Get a good cable package (you're gonna be spending alot of time watching TV in the winter)
Forget beer as you know it
Forget TV after 11pm unless you like Ad's
Look up remote car starters and cylinder block heaters as soon as you get here
Imagine police officers all being robots
Learn to say "Have a nice day" without appearing sarcastic
Learn to say "Have a nice day" being extremely sarcastic
Forget ever being let out of a side street ever again
Get used to the word "Awesome" being used to describe ordinary, boring everyday events
Get used to "OH MY GOD" for pretty much anything

and the best one for a move to Denver...........

Get used to shovelling (well at least until you inevitably buy a snowblower or a plow)

Good luck
Old Sep 27th 2005, 10:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Buy warmer jackets. Say goodbye to civilisation as you know it (my husband's words) Have the last decent fish and chips and chinese takeaway that you're going to have in a long time.....can't think of much else.
ooohhhh what I wouldn't give for fish, chips and mushy peas....!!!
Old Sep 27th 2005, 10:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Good news for Mrs Schnorbitz, Schnorbitz jnr and myself. After 3.25 long hours at the US Embassy our L1 (and respective L2) visas were approved. The removals company are coming on Friday, finishing on Tuesday and we are bound for Denver on Thursday.

Excited?? You bet.

On our last visit last week we put our deposit down on our new house, opened bank accounts. At this end (UK) I have sold most of my worldly goods while our family have gratefully pillaged what we aren't taking from our house.

Any further advice?
Ah bless you've got it all to come...good luck!
Old Sep 27th 2005, 10:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Buy warmer jackets. Say goodbye to civilisation as you know it (my husband's words) Have the last decent fish and chips and chinese takeaway that you're going to have in a long time....
and curry.. don't even bother kidding yourself that the authentic looking Indian restaurant you may stumble across will be any good because it won't be, they're all rubbish...and most of them charge $18 for a makhani chicken.

Good luck.
Old Sep 27th 2005, 10:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodsey
and curry.. don't even bother kidding yourself that the authentic looking Indian restaurant you may stumble across will be any good because it won't be, they're all rubbish...and most of them charge $18 for a makhani chicken.

Good luck.
Actually one of the best experiences I've had here is that I have learned to make a damn fine curry and I'm not talking out of a jar!
Old Sep 27th 2005, 10:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladylisa
Actually one of the best experiences I've had here is that I have learned to make a damn fine curry and I'm not talking out of a jar!
Yes I've learned to improvise as well.....
Old Sep 27th 2005, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

cool..
you can either PM me the recipe or I'll be round at your house for tea then..
Old Sep 27th 2005, 10:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cool..

lol....
Old Sep 27th 2005, 10:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

cool..
Would that be mild, medium or hells bells hot for you? Actually the annoying thing is I've cooked it for my friends and in my quest to not make it too hot (they think that mexican is spicy) its come out too mild. So last week I cooked it for my 70 year old MIL & FIL and added 1 chile to many. Poor things I think my FIL pace maker nearly went into overdrive
Old Sep 27th 2005, 10:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Would that be mild, medium or hells bells hot for you? Actually the annoying thing is I've cooked it for my friends and in my quest to not make it too hot (they think that mexican is spicy) its come out too mild. So last week I cooked it for my 70 year old MIL & FIL and added 1 chile to many. Poor things I think my FIL pace maker nearly went into overdrive
medium will do nicely thanks..
Old Sep 28th 2005, 12:28 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lottie
ooohhhh what I wouldn't give for fish, chips and mushy peas....!!!
Perhaps you'd like us to send you some mushy peas from our local Kroger?

...or even a take-away curry from the wonderful Chaat Cafe?

(at least I've convinced myself that there are some positive aspects to living in the suburban wasteland that is Plano, TX!!!)
Old Sep 28th 2005, 12:29 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Any further advice?
<-- Yeah, don't quit wearing your helmet just because you don't have to wear it in Colorado.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.