British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Virtual number for SMS (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/virtual-number-sms-914364/)

Arathe Jun 28th 2018 4:19 am

Virtual number for SMS

So, one of the UK bank accounts we have (Santander) has to send us a code whenever we want to logon to online banking or the app. This code can only be delivered by sms and they can only send to a UK number.

To save us swapping SIM cards every time I have tried to find some sort of service that will give us a virtual UK mobile number that will forward sms messages sent to it or let us read them online. I’ve looked at about a dozen now (e.g. Vonage, Skype) and I haven’t found one that’s suitable - they either done operate in the UK or don’t have a text feature (only calls)

we cant be the only people who have this problem, has anyone on here found a service that can do this?

scrubbedexpat096 Jun 28th 2018 7:50 am

Re: Virtual number for SMS

This is not the case on my Santander account I just have a memorable word and 5 digit passcode..as well as the 8 digit username.

Probably worth phoning Santander and look at other security options, is there a reason the phone number cannot be your USA one?

Jack8602 Jun 28th 2018 1:58 pm

I think Skype can get you a UK based no. - haven't checked in a while but i had one a couple years back with them.

Arathe Jun 28th 2018 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by Phathamster (Post 12523694)
This is not the case on my Santander account I just have a memorable word and 5 digit passcode..as well as the 8 digit username.

Probably worth phoning Santander and look at other security options, is there a reason the phone number cannot be your USA one?

Thanks - we asked and they were quite insistent that they had to do SMS, and whilst the system will store a US number, the messages are not actually sent to any number outside the UK.

Arathe Jun 28th 2018 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by Jack8602 (Post 12523897)
I think Skype can get you a UK based no. - haven't checked in a while but i had one a couple years back with them.

thanks - we looked at that. Skype doesn’t support SMS, only calls.

notaclue Jun 29th 2018 2:23 am

Google voice

Arathe Jun 29th 2018 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by notaclue (Post 12524250)
Google voice

thanks - we looked at that but it’s US only (as in, you can’t generate a UK mobile number).

uk_grenada Jun 29th 2018 3:05 pm

Duh, its a non issue. You have 2 sim cards in your phone, uk and local, once an sms is sent to a uk number the networks will deliver it globally if your phone is abroad. I do it all the time with banks, apple etc.

dave2702 Jul 5th 2018 4:47 pm

I've been looking sometime for a method of getting SMS text messages to a Virtual Number, but it appears to be impossible, messages to your phone's email address and thus to your messaging is one thing

But SMS to SMS seems to be out of the question

The only thing I did find were a few dodgy companies renting you a SMS Number for a few hours (priced per hour) if you need to briefly confirm you're the owner of an account inside another country but nothing long term

g1ant Jul 6th 2018 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by Arathe (Post 12523620)
So, one of the UK bank accounts we have (Santander) has to send us a code whenever we want to logon to online banking or the app. This code can only be delivered by sms and they can only send to a UK number.

To save us swapping SIM cards every time I have tried to find some sort of service that will give us a virtual UK mobile number that will forward sms messages sent to it or let us read them online. I’ve looked at about a dozen now (e.g. Vonage, Skype) and I haven’t found one that’s suitable - they either done operate in the UK or don’t have a text feature (only calls)

we cant be the only people who have this problem, has anyone on here found a service that can do this?

Santander won't accept a number that isn't from an established mobile provider. I have a number from Telos that takes calls and SMS but Santander's system will not recognise the number.

uk_grenada Jul 6th 2018 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by g1ant (Post 12528577)
Santander won't accept a number that isn't from an established mobile provider. I have a number from Telos that takes calls and SMS but Santander's system will not recognise the number.

I’ll say it again, you dont need virtual anything.

for convenience if your phone doesnt support multiple sims get a solution from simore.com

Then get a uk sim from eg giffgaff that piggy backs on the o2 network, use this plus your lical in the phone.

If an sms is sent to it - a valid uk mobile no that has zero monthly cost, just something for making calls [good deal incidentally] it will be forewarded to wherever the phone is on the pkanet - do it all the time in the caribbean for bank security codes etc.

notaclue Jul 7th 2018 6:45 pm

Order a Three sim. It can be used in the US for zero extra charge. Get the $15 a month or whatever it is and its a month to month thing not a contract.

michaelr711 Jul 16th 2018 8:58 pm

Santander are useless when it comes to their One Time Passcodes. Actual joke. Will be switching accounts when I visit home.

Olly_ Jul 16th 2018 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by notaclue (Post 12528966)
Order a Three sim. It can be used in the US for zero extra charge. Get the $15 a month or whatever it is and its a month to month thing not a contract.

You can't do this - after roaming continuously for a while they send you a text and disable roaming entirely on your account.

Steerpike Jul 18th 2018 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by uk_grenada (Post 12528597)

I’ll say it again, you dont need virtual anything.

for convenience if your phone doesnt support multiple sims get a solution from simore.com

Then get a uk sim from eg giffgaff that piggy backs on the o2 network, use this plus your lical in the phone.

If an sms is sent to it - a valid uk mobile no that has zero monthly cost, just something for making calls [good deal incidentally] it will be forewarded to wherever the phone is on the pkanet - do it all the time in the caribbean for bank security codes etc.

Dual-SIM phones are very limited in the US. You can buy them but if you don't already have one, forking out several hundred bucks for a dual-sim version of (eg) Samsung S8 or S9 is hardly a solution to the OP's problem. https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile...al-sim-phones/

Simore.com looks to be a physical adapter solution, requiring a special case and an outlay of ~$100 or so.

I'm thinking it would be easier for the OP to change banks if their current bank is so rigid in their policies.