Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Virtual number for SMS

Virtual number for SMS

Old Jun 28th 2018, 4:19 am
Just Joined

Arathe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Virtual number for SMS

So, one of the UK bank accounts we have (Santander) has to send us a code whenever we want to logon to online banking or the app. This code can only be delivered by sms and they can only send to a UK number.

To save us swapping SIM cards every time I have tried to find some sort of service that will give us a virtual UK mobile number that will forward sms messages sent to it or let us read them online. I’ve looked at about a dozen now (e.g. Vonage, Skype) and I haven’t found one that’s suitable - they either done operate in the UK or don’t have a text feature (only calls)

we cant be the only people who have this problem, has anyone on here found a service that can do this?
Old Jun 28th 2018, 7:50 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat096 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Virtual number for SMS

This is not the case on my Santander account I just have a memorable word and 5 digit passcode..as well as the 8 digit username.

Probably worth phoning Santander and look at other security options, is there a reason the phone number cannot be your USA one?
Old Jun 28th 2018, 1:58 pm
i hate cabbage

Jack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond repute

I think Skype can get you a UK based no. - haven't checked in a while but i had one a couple years back with them.
Old Jun 28th 2018, 2:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Phathamster
This is not the case on my Santander account I just have a memorable word and 5 digit passcode..as well as the 8 digit username.

Probably worth phoning Santander and look at other security options, is there a reason the phone number cannot be your USA one?
Thanks - we asked and they were quite insistent that they had to do SMS, and whilst the system will store a US number, the messages are not actually sent to any number outside the UK.
Old Jun 28th 2018, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jack8602
I think Skype can get you a UK based no. - haven't checked in a while but i had one a couple years back with them.
thanks - we looked at that. Skype doesn’t support SMS, only calls.
Old Jun 29th 2018, 2:23 am
BE Enthusiast

notaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond repute

Google voice
Old Jun 29th 2018, 1:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by notaclue
Google voice
thanks - we looked at that but it’s US only (as in, you can’t generate a UK mobile number).
Old Jun 29th 2018, 3:05 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Duh, its a non issue. You have 2 sim cards in your phone, uk and local, once an sms is sent to a uk number the networks will deliver it globally if your phone is abroad. I do it all the time with banks, apple etc.
Old Jul 5th 2018, 4:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond repute

I've been looking sometime for a method of getting SMS text messages to a Virtual Number, but it appears to be impossible, messages to your phone's email address and thus to your messaging is one thing

But SMS to SMS seems to be out of the question

The only thing I did find were a few dodgy companies renting you a SMS Number for a few hours (priced per hour) if you need to briefly confirm you're the owner of an account inside another country but nothing long term
Old Jul 6th 2018, 9:47 pm
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Arathe
So, one of the UK bank accounts we have (Santander) has to send us a code whenever we want to logon to online banking or the app. This code can only be delivered by sms and they can only send to a UK number.

To save us swapping SIM cards every time I have tried to find some sort of service that will give us a virtual UK mobile number that will forward sms messages sent to it or let us read them online. I’ve looked at about a dozen now (e.g. Vonage, Skype) and I haven’t found one that’s suitable - they either done operate in the UK or don’t have a text feature (only calls)

we cant be the only people who have this problem, has anyone on here found a service that can do this?
Santander won't accept a number that isn't from an established mobile provider. I have a number from Telos that takes calls and SMS but Santander's system will not recognise the number.
Old Jul 6th 2018, 10:22 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by g1ant
Santander won't accept a number that isn't from an established mobile provider. I have a number from Telos that takes calls and SMS but Santander's system will not recognise the number.
I’ll say it again, you dont need virtual anything.

for convenience if your phone doesnt support multiple sims get a solution from simore.com

Then get a uk sim from eg giffgaff that piggy backs on the o2 network, use this plus your lical in the phone.

If an sms is sent to it - a valid uk mobile no that has zero monthly cost, just something for making calls [good deal incidentally] it will be forewarded to wherever the phone is on the pkanet - do it all the time in the caribbean for bank security codes etc.
Old Jul 7th 2018, 6:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

notaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond repute

Order a Three sim. It can be used in the US for zero extra charge. Get the $15 a month or whatever it is and its a month to month thing not a contract.
Old Jul 16th 2018, 8:58 pm
KCMO

michaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond repute

Santander are useless when it comes to their One Time Passcodes. Actual joke. Will be switching accounts when I visit home.
Old Jul 16th 2018, 9:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by notaclue
Order a Three sim. It can be used in the US for zero extra charge. Get the $15 a month or whatever it is and its a month to month thing not a contract.
You can't do this - after roaming continuously for a while they send you a text and disable roaming entirely on your account.
Old Jul 18th 2018, 4:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk_grenada

I’ll say it again, you dont need virtual anything.

for convenience if your phone doesnt support multiple sims get a solution from simore.com

Then get a uk sim from eg giffgaff that piggy backs on the o2 network, use this plus your lical in the phone.

If an sms is sent to it - a valid uk mobile no that has zero monthly cost, just something for making calls [good deal incidentally] it will be forewarded to wherever the phone is on the pkanet - do it all the time in the caribbean for bank security codes etc.
Dual-SIM phones are very limited in the US. You can buy them but if you don't already have one, forking out several hundred bucks for a dual-sim version of (eg) Samsung S8 or S9 is hardly a solution to the OP's problem. https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile...al-sim-phones/

Simore.com looks to be a physical adapter solution, requiring a special case and an outlay of ~$100 or so.

I'm thinking it would be easier for the OP to change banks if their current bank is so rigid in their policies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.