Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Virginia Dreams??

Virginia Dreams??

Old Apr 6th 2013, 8:49 pm
Just Joined

margomonts has a brilliant futuremargomonts has a brilliant futuremargomonts has a brilliant futuremargomonts has a brilliant futuremargomonts has a brilliant futuremargomonts has a brilliant future
Default Re: Virginia Dreams??

Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply. My husband is going to Persue jobs that may be have the scope to move and plan to save enough to go through the investment option. This is a long term goal and I don't want to give up. I will always be British but I feel the us can offer the way of life that I would like to bring my family up in. And if it doesn't work then I have tried and won't regret not going. Thanks again.
Old Apr 6th 2013, 8:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by margomonts
Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply. My husband is going to Persue jobs that may be have the scope to move and plan to save enough to go through the investment option. This is a long term goal and I don't want to give up. I will always be British but I feel the us can offer the way of life that I would like to bring my family up in. And if it doesn't work then I have tried and won't regret not going. Thanks again.
Out of interest...what way of life would that be?
Old Apr 6th 2013, 9:31 pm
Just Joined

margomonts has a brilliant futuremargomonts has a brilliant futuremargomonts has a brilliant futuremargomonts has a brilliant futuremargomonts has a brilliant futuremargomonts has a brilliant future

This is going to seem really lame but here goes... I'd like to live in a better climate... I'd like to live somewhere with a bit more space... Even down to their sports etc which we follow .... I'd like the kids to experience a different culture... It really does come down I think to the weather and us being jam packed into this country! We would also get a lot more for our money housewise out there! I know there is a degree of delusion here I just feel we are more in tune with American way of life than here in the uk!
Old Apr 6th 2013, 11:08 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

This is going to seem really lame but here goes... I'd like to live in a better climate... I'd like to live somewhere with a bit more space... Even down to their sports etc which we follow .... I'd like the kids to experience a different culture... It really does come down I think to the weather and us being jam packed into this country! We would also get a lot more for our money housewise out there! I know there is a degree of delusion here I just feel we are more in tune with American way of life than here in the uk!

Not everyone here would agree, but I understand and agree with you.
Old Apr 7th 2013, 1:27 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

...And if it doesn't work then I have tried and won't regret not going. Thanks again.
Good way to look at it.

Good luck!
Old Apr 7th 2013, 2:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

You might as well try it if you feel that way, leave yourself a way back though.
Old Apr 7th 2013, 7:24 am
Just Joined

So those of you that are out there now... Is living in the states what you thought ? Have there been any real challenges or shocks ?? What have u found are the good things about relocating there ?
Old Apr 7th 2013, 7:44 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone would have a different story, because there are so many different states, and in those states there are so many different areas! This isn't the UK, you can't drive it in a few hours
Old Apr 7th 2013, 7:46 am
Forum Regular

Scott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond repute

So those of you that are out there now... Is living in the states what you thought ?
Not at all. The work ethic is different. You get nothing for nothing in the US, so holding down 2 or 3 jobs with a 70+ hour working week is not uncommon. This may also be due to the fact that many people choose to live slightly beyond their means however.

Have there been any real challenges or shocks ?? What have u found are the good things about relocating there ?
Too many challenges and shocks to mention. It's not all bad though, but given the choice to do it all over again, I would probably not have bothered.
Old Apr 7th 2013, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

Do remember Virginia is very varied from the very busy DC / Northern Virginia (NoVa) to very rural.
We have lived here for the last 20 years about 60 miles west of Richmond and have 4 children born here.
Previously to living here I worked and lived in various countries in Europe and the Middle east and to be honest never settled in the UK.
It is worth visiting Virginia in say July and August to experience the hazy hot and humid weather, apart from that there are four seasons.
It is also a pro gun state and "open carry" which means that as long as it is visible you can carry a gun.
There is a lot more religion than in the UK.
Schools vary widely and are ranked. In our area we have some of the worst schools in the state, which means we pay from private schools.
There are some good Colleges / Universities, William and Mary and the University of Virginia for example and dozens of others. In state tuition is reasonable and there is a pre-paid education program.
Lots of opinions on this forum from those who have cried every day for a year as they were so unhappy to those who enjoy life in the USA.
There is no right or wrong just what suits you.
Old Apr 7th 2013, 1:10 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

So those of you that are out there now... Is living in the states what you thought ? Have there been any real challenges or shocks ?? What have u found are the good things about relocating there ?
So many threads on this. A lot depends on where you move to, where you moved from, how old you are, what kind of lifestyle you had/have, if you moved for family or job etc.

As for Virginia and the money buying power. I've no idea about where you hope to move to in the state, but the couple of folks I know there work in DC and so commute. For them, I'd say their experiences would be the opposite to what you're looking for, except the hot weather perhaps, but there's only so much you can do and enjoy inside AC environments because it's to hot/humid out during summer.

Does look like a very pretty state, over all though
Old Apr 7th 2013, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

Nokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to all

In my experience it's virtually impossible to lump a State into one category. I lived in Richmond and Virginia Beach. Same State, but that was the end of the similarities.
Old Apr 7th 2013, 5:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I'll grant you the weather is better...even in NJ.

I really don't understand what you mean by 'jam packed into this country'. Do you live like sardines...20 people in one room?
Old Apr 7th 2013, 5:52 pm
Just Joined

No.. Granted I live in suburbia but every little small in fill of land is being built on the schools a full to bursting... And as far as I can tell unless u r really rural it's the same anywhere u go in the uk! The climate is a big draw we have just had one of the longest winters and the pollution here is terrible in the Thames valley. I have an severe asthmatic child and could do without all of that!
Old Apr 7th 2013, 5:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

No.. Granted I live in suburbia but every little small in fill of land is being built on the schools a full to bursting... And as far as I can tell unless u r really rural it's the same anywhere u go in the uk! The climate is a big draw we have just had one of the longest winters and the pollution here is terrible in the Thames valley. I have an severe asthmatic child and could do without all of that!
As with any country/cities some areas are very congested...but there are many, many areas that are not.

Sorry to hear about your child. Make sure you have good insurance...the US is not the place to be if you do not have good healthcare insurance. You will also need to make sure you have money to cover copays, deductibles, meds etc. Healthcare can be very expensive...even with good insurance...especially if a family member has a chronic illness. There is no NHS here...not even for children.

We have good healthcare insurance but we have already paid out a few thousand dollars already this year in copays etc.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Apr 7th 2013 at 7:20 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.