Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Virgin Wines rant

Virgin Wines rant

Old Jun 17th 2011, 12:06 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Virgin Wines rant

Here’s a story about a premium brand (Virgin) trying out something in a new market (Virgin Wines in the US) and completely screwing up a basic offer and then compounding it with non-existent service recovery. It’s pissed this loyal Virgin Atlantic customer off enough to want to share. For those interested, read on. For those thinking of shopping with Virgin Wines, buyer beware.

As a Virgin Atlantic Flying Club member I received an e-mail offer in mid-April of $59.99 (plus $20 shipping) for an introductory mixed case from Virgin Wines, with a sweetener of 2,000 Flying Club miles for signing up. I fly Virgin Atlantic from time to time (they’re the preferred airline of my employer) so I figured this was a good offer.

I placed my order on April 27th and the admittedly nice wine arrived within a few days or so (caveat – I am not a huge wine drinker or indeed that knowledgeable, but like to have something reasonably nice in the house and Virgin seemed like a safe bet).

My miles were taking a bit longer than I expected, so I e-mailed Virgin Wines on May 7th to ask where they were. They replied quickly (just 90 minutes!) apologizing for an error that had occurred and asking me to supply my Flying Club number a second time. I replied with this, and again they responded quickly (later that day) to confirm receipt of the number and to say I’d get my miles within 30 days.

A month later – no miles – so I wrote again to ask where they were. Again they wrote back within minutes to assure me that they had processed the miles request back on May 9th and that my Virgin Elevate miles would be received within 6 weeks of that date.

Needless to say I was concerned – not only had the timescale moved without explanation – but, more importantly, they were saying that they had tried to process Virgin America Elevate miles – a completely separate program run by a separate company and one that I am not even a member of!

I replied straight away to point this out (just in case it was a typo on their part) and to ask why the dates had changed too. I fully expected a reply later that day (based on past performance) to apologize and explain that they would sort out the error without delay.

3 days later and I had heard nothing. This was getting ridiculous. I was now about to write them a fourth e-mail just to try to get them to fulfill a simple sign-up offer for miles. My e-mail asked if they could either sort it out or supply me with the appropriate contact details so I could escalate the matter. I also (in a cheeky but very nice way) that they might like to actually give me a little more on top of the 2,000 miles for all the waiting, monitoring and e-mailing they’d made me do. I also gave them a deadline – I said that I expected to receive my miles within the next 7 days. Not unreasonable, I thought.

Those 7 days have now been and gone, with no word from Virgin Wines nor any miles received into my account.

I appreciate that Virgin Wines is new in the USA, but they have the weight of a big, premium band behind them yet they seem to lack the competence to be able to fulfill the simplest of promotions. What really bugs me though is the attitude that they are showing in not taking any ownership at all in sorting this out.

Personally I’ve always been a fan of the brand, but Virgin Wines so far seems like a lost cause and I think I can probably kiss the miles they promised me goodbye. I’d advise anyone reading against taking up any of their promotions. Maybe next time they'll decide not to even bother sending the wine...?

Who we are

Yup, Virgin Wines is part of the Virgin Group (planes, music, mobile phones, free concerts and all that good stuff). Same values apply: great product, great value, great service. You'll notice the difference.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 12:23 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Virgin Wines rant

I've been a member of Virgin Wines since November when I had the same offer. My miles were in my account within 5 days.

I have had nothing but the best customer service, and the wines are generally pretty good. I haven't tested out their offer of refunding for wines you don't like, but I bought a case recently that accidentally had 2 bottles of white in place of a red from the same producer. I sent them an email, and within an hour they indicated they were sending out the 2 correct bottles, so we ended up with 2 free bottles of a very nice white (it was actually one we already knew we loved, so we didn't really mind the mix up to start with).

When I signed up I didn't think I would end up getting their cases on a regular basis figuring I would cancel, but it's been so good that we just keep on going with it.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 12:39 pm
Banned

Cuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to behold

I used to be a Virgin Wines customer.

I found their wine consistently crap - I tend to drink Spanish reds and despite their glowing and offbeat descriptions each case that arrived was a major disappointment.

I wouldn't touch them again with a bargepole.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 1:12 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Here’s a story about a premium brand (Virgin) trying out something in a new market (Virgin Wines in the US) and completely screwing up a basic offer and then compounding it with non-existent service recovery. It’s pissed this loyal Virgin Atlantic customer off enough to want to share. For those interested, read on. For those thinking of shopping with Virgin Wines, buyer beware.

As a Virgin Atlantic Flying Club member I received an e-mail offer in mid-April of $59.99 (plus $20 shipping) for an introductory mixed case from Virgin Wines, with a sweetener of 2,000 Flying Club miles for signing up. I fly Virgin Atlantic from time to time (they’re the preferred airline of my employer) so I figured this was a good offer.

I placed my order on April 27th and the admittedly nice wine arrived within a few days or so (caveat – I am not a huge wine drinker or indeed that knowledgeable, but like to have something reasonably nice in the house and Virgin seemed like a safe bet).

My miles were taking a bit longer than I expected, so I e-mailed Virgin Wines on May 7th to ask where they were. They replied quickly (just 90 minutes!) apologizing for an error that had occurred and asking me to supply my Flying Club number a second time. I replied with this, and again they responded quickly (later that day) to confirm receipt of the number and to say I’d get my miles within 30 days.

A month later – no miles – so I wrote again to ask where they were. Again they wrote back within minutes to assure me that they had processed the miles request back on May 9th and that my Virgin Elevate miles would be received within 6 weeks of that date.

Needless to say I was concerned – not only had the timescale moved without explanation – but, more importantly, they were saying that they had tried to process Virgin America Elevate miles – a completely separate program run by a separate company and one that I am not even a member of!

I replied straight away to point this out (just in case it was a typo on their part) and to ask why the dates had changed too. I fully expected a reply later that day (based on past performance) to apologize and explain that they would sort out the error without delay.

3 days later and I had heard nothing. This was getting ridiculous. I was now about to write them a fourth e-mail just to try to get them to fulfill a simple sign-up offer for miles. My e-mail asked if they could either sort it out or supply me with the appropriate contact details so I could escalate the matter. I also (in a cheeky but very nice way) that they might like to actually give me a little more on top of the 2,000 miles for all the waiting, monitoring and e-mailing they’d made me do. I also gave them a deadline – I said that I expected to receive my miles within the next 7 days. Not unreasonable, I thought.

Those 7 days have now been and gone, with no word from Virgin Wines nor any miles received into my account.

I appreciate that Virgin Wines is new in the USA, but they have the weight of a big, premium band behind them yet they seem to lack the competence to be able to fulfill the simplest of promotions. What really bugs me though is the attitude that they are showing in not taking any ownership at all in sorting this out.

Personally I’ve always been a fan of the brand, but Virgin Wines so far seems like a lost cause and I think I can probably kiss the miles they promised me goodbye. I’d advise anyone reading against taking up any of their promotions. Maybe next time they'll decide not to even bother sending the wine...?
I'm still waiting for my refund from Virgin to come through after they cancelled my flight in 2010. So yeah, if they're still processing that request, it sounds like they've got a bit of a problem with speed of customer service.

Just keep pestering them until they do something about it? Might as well, squeaky wheel gets the most grease and all that.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 3:20 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Presumably they can only ship to certain states; isn't mail order wine restricted or prohibited in some states? I thought it was unavailable in NY, but I had a quick look online and now NY seems to be on the list of states that vendors can ship to..?
Old Jun 17th 2011, 3:31 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Presumably they can only ship to certain states; isn't mail order wine restricted or prohibited in some states? I thought it was unavailable in NY, but I had a quick look online and now NY seems to be on the list of states that vendors can ship to..?
MA used to be off the list (and still is for some companies) but others now ship here. Go figure.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 3:32 pm
Septic Sprout

Originally Posted by Sarah
I'm still waiting for my refund from Virgin to come through after they cancelled my flight in 2010. So yeah, if they're still processing that request, it sounds like they've got a bit of a problem with speed of customer service.

Just keep pestering them until they do something about it? Might as well, squeaky wheel gets the most grease and all that.
I'm persistant if nothing else....

Good luck with your problem. Is it too late for a credit card chargeback?
Old Jun 17th 2011, 4:32 pm
Septic Sprout

The company I work for has a Facebook page so that it can interact with its customers. We’re on there pretty much all the time, talking to people and looking out for potential customer service issues that we can react to and solve.

I just realized that Virgin Wines has a Facebook page, so I posted my problem on their wall.

Virgin’s response? They deleted it within a couple of minutes, with no attempt to contact me via Facebook.

Perhaps it detracted from their own post:

Friday Afternoon - Fact or Myth? Wines labelled as ‘huge reds’ are made with grapes that are as big as footballs?

I think it’s clear where their priorities lie, and it’s not with their customers.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 6:26 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

T

I think it’s clear where their priorities lie, and it’s not with their customers.
I have tried so hard to love this company, really I have.
They are all form over function, IMO.

I joined the mailing list for Virgin Wines UK in about 2002 or so, it was just fun to read the descriptions and ogle the prices but it never worked out to get an order shipped to wherever we were.

And their snotty airline employees can stuff it.

oooh.. they left your last post up on fb.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 7:00 pm
Septic Sprout

Originally Posted by meauxna
I have tried so hard to love this company, really I have.
They are all form over function, IMO.

I joined the mailing list for Virgin Wines UK in about 2002 or so, it was just fun to read the descriptions and ogle the prices but it never worked out to get an order shipped to wherever we were.

And their snotty airline employees can stuff it.

oooh.. they left your last post up on fb.
Yes - I posted a second time, on both Virgin Wines and Virgin Atlantic's FB page. The airline just deleted it again after about 2 minutes. Virgin Wines left it up there and responded about an hour later:

Hi Tonrob, you need to contact our team in the USA in order to resolve your issue as this is the UK facebook page. Please would you therefore email them at [email protected] OR call toll free on 866-426-0336. We have already contacted them and asked them to look out for you and they are very keen to help. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.
The problem is that these are the exact people who I've been trying to contact and who stopped responding. I replied (on FB) to say that they know exactly who I am and how to contact me.

Last edited by tonrob; Jun 17th 2011 at 7:44 pm.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 7:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You on twitter? I've seen a few people grumble to Richard Branson on there who end up getting contacted by folks to fix issues, mostly with airlines/train tickets though, but worth a shot?
Old Jun 17th 2011, 7:45 pm
Septic Sprout

Originally Posted by Bob
You on twitter? I've seen a few people grumble to Richard Branson on there who end up getting contacted by folks to fix issues, mostly with airlines/train tickets though, but worth a shot?
No - I haven't managed to work Twitter out yet. I don't think I'd be able to twat Richard Branson if I tried. Is it easy? Maybe I should use this as an excuse to sign up...
Old Jun 17th 2011, 8:15 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Yes - I posted a second time, on both Virgin Wines and Virgin Atlantic's FB page. The airline just deleted it again after about 2 minutes. Virgin Wines left it up there and responded about an hour later:

The problem is that these are the exact people who I've been trying to contact and who stopped responding. I replied (on FB) to say that they know exactly who I am and how to contact me.
There is a Virgin Wines USA page too: https://www.facebook.com/VirginWinesUSA
Old Jun 17th 2011, 8:23 pm
Septic Sprout

Originally Posted by neil
There is a Virgin Wines USA page too: https://www.facebook.com/VirginWinesUSA
How right you are - thanks!
Old Jun 17th 2011, 8:32 pm
Septic Sprout

Think I may have just twatted Sir Richard (if I did it properly).... Yay me....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.