Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Virgin Flight Stuck at US Airport for Hours

Virgin Flight Stuck at US Airport for Hours

Old Jun 27th 2010, 7:19 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Virgin Flight Stuck at US Airport for Hours

We were flying to Newark on Thursday and got held up for the same reason. Spent 3 1/2 hours sat on the tarmac at Charlotte airport in 90f+ heat. It was not pleasant I can tell you.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 10:22 pm
Dragon with a Wagon

Dudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant future

I was a Virgin Trolly Dolly and I can tell you the crew were no doubt pissed too, I've been on flights delayed by ground ops and weather and trust me there was nothing we could do.

We once landed at an airport we had never used before and the flight deck repeatedly asked for water and food to be brought to the aircraft, but due to it being an airport we did not normally fly in to the airport refused, why? Because Virgin did not have a credit account with them. Also the airport would not allow the Captain to use the credit card that is kept onboard for such emergencies.

Passengers get it rough yeah I'm not denying it, but trust me, crew have been on their feet a lot longer than the passengers by the end of the day and they are dead on their feet.

Just for the record before anyone says anything, Virgin are not a great employer, the crew are treated the worst in the company, a minimum work day for crew is at least 12 hours and if the hours are extended to the max, it's something like 21 hours with only a minimum rest time of 8 hours as mandatory, then yeah you have very tired and slightly cranky crew.

So moral of all this is, have a go at Virgin Atlantic bosses etc, not the crew, the crew are trying their best to deal all situations thrown at them.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 10:24 pm
Dragon with a Wagon

Dudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Manc
Why would you plan an ALT airport for landing without customs or immigration acceptance for an international flight?

surely as someone said, Logan or Philly, BWI, Dulles were more acceptable alternatives?
This is not something the airline has a say in, they are just told this is where you are diverting to now get on with it, it's ATC that make these kinds of decisions.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 10:26 pm
Dragon with a Wagon

Originally Posted by Zonie
You don’t need a GPU to start the engines. The starter motors for the engines are air driven, powered by bleed air from the APU or via the bleed air system. The APU can be started from the aircraft batteries. The APU also has a generator.

Each engine driven generator has independent control (therefore it's own CB protection) and supplies its own associated AC BUS. Each engine can individually provide bleed air which is required to run the a/c packs, as can the APU.

I was referring to the absence of the flight deck crew. If they were on board they weren’t doing a very good job of looking after the environmental systems. Then again maybe they were told to shut down all engines by Ground?

Anyway it looks like Virgin is up for a fine. I wouldn’t like to be in the Captains shoes, something went wrong.

http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/p...-delay/97818/1
The Flight Deck and Crew are in the same position as the passengers, they cannot get off the plane until immigration and customs are there, as they need to go through the same bs as the passengers.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 10:32 pm
Dragon with a Wagon

Originally Posted by Brit3964
I'd agree which makes the story of the generator failure very unlikely. I suspect there could be at least one or maybe two pilot job openings going at Virgin Atlantic very soon.
Only people really to blame for this are the bosses, Flight Deck and crew are only following orders, if they fire these pilots I hope they pilots sue the company and win!
Old Jun 27th 2010, 11:05 pm
Forum Regular

DMDA is a jewel in the roughDMDA is a jewel in the roughDMDA is a jewel in the roughDMDA is a jewel in the roughDMDA is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Sue
We were flying to Newark on Thursday and got held up for the same reason. Spent 3 1/2 hours sat on the tarmac at Charlotte airport in 90f+ heat. It was not pleasant I can tell you.
I was on a Virgin flight from LA to London. I seriously wish we HAD landed somewhere and waited. It was the scariest flight I've ever been on.

How frustrating though - to be boarded and then have to sit around for hours. Why couldn't they just let you wait in the terminal??
Old Jun 28th 2010, 8:25 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
Did you scream?
Old Jun 28th 2010, 8:36 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Did you scream?
No, I'm British, I just mumbled quietly under my breathe
Old Jun 28th 2010, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ginblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dudette
I was a Virgin Trolly Dolly and I can tell you the crew were no doubt pissed too, I've been on flights delayed by ground ops and weather and trust me there was nothing we could do.

We once landed at an airport we had never used before and the flight deck repeatedly asked for water and food to be brought to the aircraft, but due to it being an airport we did not normally fly in to the airport refused, why? Because Virgin did not have a credit account with them. Also the airport would not allow the Captain to use the credit card that is kept onboard for such emergencies.

Passengers get it rough yeah I'm not denying it, but trust me, crew have been on their feet a lot longer than the passengers by the end of the day and they are dead on their feet.

Just for the record before anyone says anything, Virgin are not a great employer, the crew are treated the worst in the company, a minimum work day for crew is at least 12 hours and if the hours are extended to the max, it's something like 21 hours with only a minimum rest time of 8 hours as mandatory, then yeah you have very tired and slightly cranky crew.

So moral of all this is, have a go at Virgin Atlantic bosses etc, not the crew, the crew are trying their best to deal all situations thrown at them.
I can believe this. The crew are just regular folks trying their best and faced mostly with horrid passengers. Luckily, in Upper Class, you sometimes to avoid the sheer horrors back in coach, but not always. Its a tough job, and I wouldn't want it.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 9:21 pm
Dragon with a Wagon

Originally Posted by Ginblossom
I can believe this. The crew are just regular folks trying their best and faced mostly with horrid passengers. Luckily, in Upper Class, you sometimes to avoid the sheer horrors back in coach, but not always. Its a tough job, and I wouldn't want it.
You know whats funny with this, is I had more problem passengers at the front than at the back and the upgrades are worst of the lot.

Oh well I just hope the Pilots don't get screwed.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 9:31 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
No, I'm British, I just mumbled quietly under my breathe
I like the comments under the article. One was a British person who was blamed the yelling, screaming, and fainting on all of the foreigners who had connected in London.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 9:48 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Originally Posted by Leslie66
I like the comments under the article. One was a British person who was blamed the yelling, screaming, and fainting on all of the foreigners who had connected in London.
Sounds like the time my grandmother was taken on holiday to Holland for her 85th birthday by my aunt. It was my grandmothers first trip abroad. On her return I asked her if she enjoyed her trip, she said yes she had had a lovely rime, but the holiday resort was full of foreigners who couldn't speak English.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 9:53 pm
WTF?

Originally Posted by Sue
Sounds like the time my grandmother was taken on holiday to Holland for her 85th birthday by my aunt. It was my grandmothers first trip abroad. On her return I asked her if she enjoyed her trip, she said yes she had had a lovely rime, but the holiday resort was full of foreigners who couldn't speak English.
I don't blame her. They probably tried to force her to eat ghastly foreign muck too.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 10:06 pm
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Almost the same thing happened to my Mum and Brother on a BA flight coming to see me last year.

They were flying to Boston, got diverted due to bad weather to a place in CT that wasnt equipped to deal with immigration, so had to sit on the plane for a few hours until immigration officials got there. When they were finally let off they then had to get on a bus up to Mass. At the time my Mum didn't know she was in in CT, she had no clue what state they were even in.

They were supposed to be driving up to me in Maine, but by the time they got back to MA it was midnight and they ended up getting a hotel room and staying down there.