British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Views of tattoos in US (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/views-tattoos-us-701753/)

warrenandashley Jan 22nd 2011 12:08 am

Views of tattoos in US

hey guys, at the momoment me and the fiancee are currently doing a sports degree, and have been told that at the end of the degree companies from the us often come over and look to employ the best student.

as it happens me and ashley are top two for % and always wanted to move to the states. however we are both heavily tattooed... both have full sleeves which are visable on hand too.

we spoke to her great uncle who lives in utah and he says as long as we dont move to a strict religious type state then we will be ok as we are not going into a buisness/corprate type workplace, but rather sports team, coaching.

we would like to know others veiws... here in england it seems to be ok they have not got in out way.

thank you all

ian-mstm Jan 22nd 2011 12:16 am

Re: veiws of tattoos in us

Originally Posted by warrenandashley (Post 9119681)
we would like to know others veiws...

I agree with the great uncle's view. If you're talented, almost no one will care about the tattoos.

Ian

ldyinlv Jan 22nd 2011 12:26 am

hey guys, at the momoment me and the fiancee are currently doing a sports degree, and have been told that at the end of the degree companies from the us often come over and look to employ the best student.

as it happens me and ashley are top two for % and always wanted to move to the states. however we are both heavily tattooed... both have full sleeves which are visable on hand too.

we spoke to her great uncle who lives in utah and he says as long as we dont move to a strict religious type state then we will be ok as we are not going into a buisness/corprate type workplace, but rather sports team, coaching.

we would like to know others veiws... here in england it seems to be ok they have not got in out way.

thank you all

Might want to bone up on your spelling, and use of capital letters though..just sayin!!!..;)

traceym Jan 22nd 2011 1:05 am

Originally Posted by ldyinlv (Post 9119709)
Might want to bone up on your spelling, and use of capital letters though..just sayin!!!..;)

I wouldn't have thought English Grammar would be top of a coaches list of priorities!!!!!!!!!

OP, tattoo's everywhere here, leg (outside ankle) seems to be the in thing at the moment, good luck!

ldyinlv Jan 22nd 2011 1:07 am

Originally Posted by traceym (Post 9119743)
I wouldn't have thought English Grammar would be top of a coaches list of priorities!!!!!!!!!

OP, tattoo's everywhere here, leg (outside ankle) seems to be the in thing at the moment, good luck!

OK then..if it doesnt apply to his job, then why bother....good one.

md95065 Jan 22nd 2011 2:29 am

Yes - in fact I think that pretty much anywhere that isn't Utah would probably be OK ...

BILDER Jan 22nd 2011 2:37 am

Originally Posted by md95065 (Post 9119830)
Yes - in fact I think that pretty much anywhere that isn't Utah would probably be OK ...

I was about to say that! :D

warrenandashley Jan 22nd 2011 12:49 pm

Re: Views of tattoos in US

thanks all for the replies, we are very happy with the responses. i was weary of her uncles veiw as i thought i would be pre-judged for tattoos on the hand.

we are hoping to get an internship with a sports team, as strength and conditioning coaches ( well assistants/juniors ).

as for spelling.... :o yeah im not the best at spelling haha english language never was my best subject, so please excuse my spelling. i tend to stick with math and science which is lucky for the career im going for.

im unsure where to look, but maybe someone could help here, as i said we are hoping for a coaching job on the strength and conditioning side. we will have degrees in coaching and a foundation level degree in health and exersice science,posably a masters in strength and conditioning, but we are both personal trainers and class instructers anyway... can i ask at what level do teams in the US take on a trength and conditioning coach? in the uk only profesional team will use them in any sport, high school and university level are not using them from the universities i have spoke too. is it the same in the US, i know college level is still high in US does anyone know if they use one or high school level?

thanks again every one much appreiciated...... and again excuse the spelling

retzie Jan 22nd 2011 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by warrenandashley (Post 9120600)
can i ask at what level do teams in the US take on a trength and conditioning coach?

Can't believe I can answer this (I have no idea in general!) but my landlady used to be the strength and conditioning coach for our Big 12 football team. College athletics is taken soooooooooooooo seriously here, I'd be willing to bet plenty of other schools/sports follow suit :thumbup:

dunroving Jan 22nd 2011 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by warrenandashley (Post 9120600)
thanks all for the replies, we are very happy with the responses. i was weary of her uncles veiw as i thought i would be pre-judged for tattoos on the hand.

we are hoping to get an internship with a sports team, as strength and conditioning coaches ( well assistants/juniors ).

as for spelling.... :o yeah im not the best at spelling haha english language never was my best subject, so please excuse my spelling. i tend to stick with math and science which is lucky for the career im going for.

im unsure where to look, but maybe someone could help here, as i said we are hoping for a coaching job on the strength and conditioning side. we will have degrees in coaching and a foundation level degree in health and exersice science,posably a masters in strength and conditioning, but we are both personal trainers and class instructers anyway... can i ask at what level do teams in the US take on a trength and conditioning coach? in the uk only profesional team will use them in any sport, high school and university level are not using them from the universities i have spoke too. is it the same in the US, i know college level is still high in US does anyone know if they use one or high school level?

thanks again every one much appreiciated...... and again excuse the spelling

You might want to look into getting your NSCA and/or ACSM Personal Trainer certification or similar. There are a LOT of "sport" science degrees in the States so competition will be high and unless you have prior experience at the professional team level in the UK, I can't see any reason why a US school or team would sponsor you for a visa - especially at the moment when there will be so many desparately unemployed US citizens with similar qualifications but with lots of practical experience in the US system.

Looks like you are getting similar advice on the Immigration board - I don't think you have much of a chance, but go for it anyway. You can't win if you don't play, after all.

Poppy girl Jan 22nd 2011 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by ldyinlv (Post 9119709)

:rolleyes: Oh come on I work in exec management and cannot spell my grammar is cr@p lol but if you saw the emails I get from head honchos and company directors VP's etc you toes would curl girl :lol:

dunroving Jan 22nd 2011 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 9120832)
:rolleyes: Oh come on I work in exec management and cannot spell my grammar is cr@p lol but if you saw the emails I get from head honchos and company directors VP's etc you toes would curl girl :lol:

spellin is know longur important in britich eddukayshun since thay changed the emfasis to the content, sadd too say.

But really, the standard of written English has suffered since the bleeding heart liberal changes to teaching philosophy in the 80s and 90s. The problem is, some of the papers I have to mark have such poor written English that it is difficult to tell what the writer is trying to say.

Thydney Jan 22nd 2011 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 9120832)

I'm sure your rack makes up for bad grammar:wub::rofl:

Poppy girl Jan 22nd 2011 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 9120867)
spellin is know longur important in britich eddukayshun since thay changed the emfasis to the content, sadd too say.

But really, the standard of written English has suffered since the bleeding heart liberal changes to teaching philosophy in the 80s and 90s. The problem is, some of the papers I have to mark have such poor written English that it is difficult to tell what the writer is trying to say.

I do agree standards have changed considerably

Originally Posted by Thydney (Post 9120876)
I'm sure your rack makes up for bad grammar:wub::rofl:

Morning Thyd :rolleyes: :lol:

warrenandashley Jan 22nd 2011 5:38 pm

thanks for all the replie again, much appreiciated

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 9120781)
You might want to look into getting your NSCA and/or ACSM Personal Trainer certification or similar. There are a LOT of "sport" science degrees in the States so competition will be high and unless you have prior experience at the professional team level in the UK, I can't see any reason why a US school or team would sponsor you for a visa - especially at the moment when there will be so many desparately unemployed US citizens with similar qualifications but with lots of practical experience in the US system.

Looks like you are getting similar advice on the Immigration board - I don't think you have much of a chance, but go for it anyway. You can't win if you don't play, after all.

hi mate, i dont know too much about it yet, just what our tutors have told us. i know a few lads on the coaching degree went over last year on sponsorships.

not my place to say if the companies doing the hunting shoud or should not in the current economy but usually 2-3 each year. i will have experience coaching in a (american not soccer) football team.

we are both qualified as pesonal trainers by acsm approved providers, so i suppose thats one thing out the way.

thanks again