Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Videoconference interview experience?

Videoconference interview experience?

Old Feb 1st 2006, 9:26 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Videoconference interview experience?

[Mods, sorry I posted this on the Moving back to the UK forum also, but as you'll see it's a bit of an emergency]

Well, I've gone and landed an interview in the U.K. - via videoconference! Next Monday!

Because of the closeness of the interview date, there's no way I can travel home (especially as they would only be paying expenses within the U.K.), so apparently they can set up a videoconference interview (including a 10-minute PowerPoint presentation from me).

Problem is, I have no experience of videoconference interviews. I mean, I am familiar with videoconferences but wouldn't know where to start setting it up at my end (obviously, I can't do it from my current place of employment, where they have all the videoconference facilities you could want). Where would I even look in the Yellow Pages?

Also, has anyone ever been interviewed via teleconference, and if so, any tips? I'd much rather be there in person but it looks like I have llittle choice. It just seems so weird not being able to do all the usual human stuff like shake someone's hand and look them in the eye, and look around the audience at my presentation.

Any clues? This is obviously a bit urgent, so any help greatly appreciated!
Old Feb 1st 2006, 9:32 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Videoconference interview experience?

Originally Posted by dunroving
[Mods, sorry I posted this on the Moving back to the UK forum also, but as you'll see it's a bit of an emergency]

Well, I've gone and landed an interview in the U.K. - via videoconference! Next Monday!

Because of the closeness of the interview date, there's no way I can travel home (especially as they would only be paying expenses within the U.K.), so apparently they can set up a videoconference interview (including a 10-minute PowerPoint presentation from me).

Problem is, I have no experience of videoconference interviews. I mean, I am familiar with videoconferences but wouldn't know where to start setting it up at my end (obviously, I can't do it from my current place of employment, where they have all the videoconference facilities you could want). Where would I even look in the Yellow Pages?

Also, has anyone ever been interviewed via teleconference, and if so, any tips? I'd much rather be there in person but it looks like I have llittle choice. It just seems so weird not being able to do all the usual human stuff like shake someone's hand and look them in the eye, and look around the audience at my presentation.

Any clues? This is obviously a bit urgent, so any help greatly appreciated!
Ok, I know this won't be the most helpful response you get, but why a videoconference if you don't have the facilities - why not just phone them.
Old Feb 1st 2006, 9:40 pm
Living in the sun

connollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Ok, I know this won't be the most helpful response you get, but why a videoconference if you don't have the facilities - why not just phone them.

Hello

you try using your computer and MSN I know it is not very business like but it is easy to do and it will work

Hope it helps

Martin
Old Feb 1st 2006, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

My old boss used to wear an Elvis mask to see if anyone noticed on VCs!!

Not sure its the impression you want to set though!!
Old Feb 1st 2006, 10:06 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Well, I have to make a presentation, and so the visual aspect is pretty important. Plus, having been involved in dozens of hiring decisions, I know how important nonverbal cues are. Not being there in person is bad enough, but not being able to see each other (or be able to see what's going on at their end during the PowerPoint presentation) would make it even more difficult to make an impression (especially as a big part of my job - teaching - is all about presentation).
Old Feb 1st 2006, 10:08 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by connollys.home
Hello

you try using your computer and MSN I know it is not very business like but it is easy to do and it will work

Hope it helps

Martin
Actually, I did email them to say I have a video cam, microphone, and MSN Messenger, and I am keeping my fingers crossed that it really might be as simple as turning on my computer and logging in. Just have to remember to put on some clothes.
Old Feb 1st 2006, 10:42 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

for finding the stuff, try www.switchboard.com

but you could probably do alright if they got Skype, or even MSN type jobbie...or even that naff microsoft net conference thingy....

And good luck with it
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 12:24 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Just make sure you know the camera angle before you flip them off.