Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Veterans, Rememberance, Armistice Day

Veterans, Rememberance, Armistice Day

Old Nov 10th 2011, 11:19 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Veterans, Rememberance, Armistice Day

Through a quirk of history, the US has two days to remember those who served in battle. [My 90 year old veteran father still refers to "Armistice Day" and "Decoration Day." But I digress.]

In the spirit of rememberance, I am posting a 2005 video essay of Andy Rooney on 60 Minutes. Although it was for a US broadcast, I don't think the message therein is truly American-centric.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 1:34 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Veterans, Rememberance, Armistice Day

Also randomly Corduroy Day too :/

Our local library is closed for remembrance, but that's about the only thing I've noticed happening in town.

There is that armistice youth footie competition organised by a couple Premiereship teams and some from the Bundersleague.

Can't say I've noticed as many folks raising money from the local VFW halls and those type of places.

Still, got my poppy where the tax disc clip is on the car.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 2:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Through a quirk of history, the US has two days to remember those who served in battle. [My 90 year old veteran father still refers to "Armistice Day" and "Decoration Day." But I digress.]

In the spirit of rememberance, I am posting a 2005 video essay of Andy Rooney on 60 Minutes. Although it was for a US broadcast, I don't think the message therein is truly American-centric.
Hadn't seen this one until now. Last week-end, during the TV remembrance of him, they replayed the one he did in June, 1979 - we were quite moved by it. I was impressed that he reminded us whose armies were there and told us not to forget the Canadians - not many Americans seem to remember the Canadians were in on it too!

What distresses me no end, though, is that "Armistice Day" or "Veterans' Day", is slowly fading into oblivion in the States. So much so that a female CNN program moderator interviewing someone in England today, queried what it was they were all wearing on their lapels. She truly appeared puzzled. The interviewee explained they were poppies, worn as the UK's way of honoring their veterans. I was embarrassed that she was so ignorant of what the poppies were for and that Americans no longer wear them - at least not in our area! That field in Flanders was written of before I was born, but I know about it and feel others should, too.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 2:25 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed.

11th hour, of the 11th day, of the 11th month.

http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/abou...he-square-2011
Old Nov 11th 2011, 2:31 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in Toronto at present and I'm pleased to see almost everyone proudly wearing their poppy.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 5:37 am
Forum Regular

Britishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant future

Sadly I have seen no one wearing a Poppy in the Chandler area (Phoenix). OH and I have been wearing our lovely Poppy brooches from the Royal British Legion and we have a car Poppy on as well. We wear them with pride and have been asked on several occasions why we are wearing them!!!
Old Nov 11th 2011, 10:05 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

As I mentioned in passing, through a quirk of history, the US has two holidays in honor of those who have served. The US Civil War of 1861-65 led to the creation of "Decoration Day" which became "Memorial Day" as a result of World War I. It was celebrated on May 30th. "Armistice Day" became "Veterans Day" in 1958. In 1971, both Memorial Day and Veterans Day, Columbus Day and George Washinton's Birthdays were moved to Mondays to create 3-day weekends for Federal Employees. Veterans Day was later moved back to November 11th.

The Red Poppy is not as strong a symbol in the US as in the UK and Canada -- but it is one of the symbols for the May Memorial Day Holiday. However, it has appeared to have fallen into disuse -- I remember it as a child.

BTW, in watching the tapes of the Royal Wedding this year, I was a tad annoyed and surprised that Kate did not pause at the UK Tomb of the Unknown to leave a flower.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 10:06 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Sad thing and ironic, that poppies were ALWAYS sold by the VFW and we always got one.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 1:06 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Sad thing and ironic, that poppies were ALWAYS sold by the VFW and we always got one.
They still sell them here, but it's always for Memorial Day.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 1:21 pm
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Egg and Cress
I was embarrassed that she was so ignorant of what the poppies were for and that Americans no longer wear them - at least not in our area!(
Particularly weird as I believe the tradition of wearing the poppy actually started in the US. Can't find one to buy here though

Most government/local authority places closed here. A glorious traffic free ride into work this morning
Old Nov 11th 2011, 1:55 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

I still maintain the following (from one of the funniest shows in my mind on TV) is a rather starkly poigniant reminder of exactly what we should be remembering today:

Old Nov 11th 2011, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I still maintain the following (from one of the funniest shows in my mind on TV) is a rather starkly poigniant reminder of exactly what we should be remembering today:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7DGa9xHGB0c
Don't mean this to sound sarcastic, or smarmy, in any way - but how typically British to mix pathos with parody and the proud with the profane. I'm sure that scene, ending with the poppy field, would have brought me to tears had I seen it when originally presented.

On only a slightly different note, are poppies worn after Armistice Day in England? As we'll be there next week for my BIL's funeral, I was thinking maybe I could buy one there (and maybe stock up on a few for next year). A bit late, I know, but who know's, I might be able to start a movement with them for next year!
Old Nov 11th 2011, 2:35 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Don't mean this to sound sarcastic, or smarmy, in any way - but how typically British to mix pathos with parody and the proud with the profane. I'm sure that scene, ending with the poppy field, would have brought me to tears had I seen it when originally presented.

On only a slightly different note, are poppies worn after Armistice Day in England? As we'll be there next week for my BIL's funeral, I was thinking maybe I could buy one there (and maybe stock up on a few for next year). A bit late, I know, but who know's, I might be able to start a movement with them for next year!
It is a typically British thing, isn't it? I love the way that was done, you think they might get out of it right up until the end and then - oh shit, that's it . The message couldn't be stronger IMHO.

As to the poppies after Armistice Day - I don't know if they're still on sale at that point. Maybe a quick shout to someone back there to grab a job lot for you so you can take them back with you might work - I'm sure they're still available today. Failing that, I'm sure if you contact the Haig Fund/British Legion or whoever handles them these days they may have some spares, a donation is a donation, after all - I can't see them saying no.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 2:48 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

... What distresses me no end, though, is that "Armistice Day" or "Veterans' Day", is slowly fading into oblivion in the States. So much so that a female CNN program moderator interviewing someone in England today, queried what it was they were all wearing on their lapels. She truly appeared puzzled.
.... the use of the poppy for Remembrance is of US origin!
Inspired by That Field in Flanders, and in tribute to McCrae's poem, Moina Michael vowed to always wear a red poppy as a symbol of remembrance for those who served in the war. At a 1918 conference, she appeared with a silk poppy pinned to her coat and distributed 25 more to those attending. She then campaigned to have the poppy adopted as a national symbol of remembrance. At a conference in 1920, the National American Legion adopted it as their official symbol of remembrance. About a year later they were adopted by the RBL.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 2:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Tarkak9
.... the use of the poppy for Remembrance is of US origin!
Inspired by That Field in Flanders, and in tribute to McCrae's poem, Moina Michael vowed to always wear a red poppy as a symbol of remembrance for those who served in the war. At a 1918 conference, she appeared with a silk poppy pinned to her coat and distributed 25 more to those attending. She then campaigned to have the poppy adopted as a national symbol of remembrance. At a conference in 1920, the National American Legion adopted it as their official symbol of remembrance. About a year later they were adopted by the RBL.
Just goes to show you, doesn't it, what a short attention span we Americans have! We invented it, we used it for a while, we're bored with it now. No stick-to-it-iveness, that's all!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.