Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

veteran allied healthcare

veteran allied healthcare

Old Mar 11th 2016, 12:22 am
Forum Regular

minxy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default veteran allied healthcare

ok so my so is now a lpr for the past 18 months he is a veteran of the uk army and is seeking va healthcare int he us Can anyone point me in the right direction? We currently cannot afford healthcare on our own and i cannot seem to find the proper forms to fill out.
Old Mar 11th 2016, 1:56 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: veteran allied healthcare

U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs

Rene
Old Mar 11th 2016, 2:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I may be wrong but I think the va only caters to veterans of the US armed forces not UK.
Old Mar 11th 2016, 2:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Go to healthcare.gov if you can't afford the premiums then I assume you will be eligible for a subsidy.
Old Mar 11th 2016, 2:14 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
I may be wrong but I think the va only caters to veterans of the US armed forces not UK.
So did I.
Old Mar 11th 2016, 2:37 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Go to healthcare.gov if you can't afford the premiums then I assume you will be eligible for a subsidy.
That is quite possibly incorrect, though what happens if you can't afford the premiums depends on which state you live in. Wherever you live, if you can't afford ACA premiums/ your income is too low, the ACA presumes you will be covered by the expanded Medicaid provisions, however a number of states refused to expand Medicaid, leaving some people without coveragex and bizarrely, too poor to qualify for ACA subsidies.

The 19 states that have not expanded Medicaid are those in the SE (all coastal states from Virginia to Mississippi, plus Tennessee), all the plains states from Texas to South Dakota, then westwards Wyoming, Idaho, and Utah, plus Missouri, Wisconsin, and Maine.
I am fairly certain you are correct.
Old Mar 11th 2016, 2:37 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I did too, but thought I'd give the OP the link so she can find out for sure.

Rene
Old Mar 11th 2016, 3:22 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

VA provides medical treatment to allies who have a reciprocal arrangement, which the UK does. The VA then bills the UK for the treatment.

Treatment of Allied and Foreign National Beneficiaries - Health Benefits

OP: I think you'll probably need to contact your local VA to find out how to register. The UK needs to provide authorisation for treatment. Find Locations - Locations
Old Mar 11th 2016, 4:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Wintersong
VA provides medical treatment to allies who have a reciprocal arrangement, which the UK does. The VA then bills the UK for the treatment.

Treatment of Allied and Foreign National Beneficiaries - Health Benefits

OP: I think you'll probably need to contact your local VA to find out how to register. The UK needs to provide authorisation for treatment. Find Locations - Locations
Interesting. I read that as implying the veteran needs to be a ww2 vet not just any veteran. By all means apply and let us know how it turns out.
Old Mar 11th 2016, 4:37 am
Account Closed

Interesting. I read that as implying the veteran needs to be a ww2 vet not just any veteran. By all means apply and let us know how it turns out.
I sort of assumed that but it does not say that. Now quite what would be approved is another issue.

And not OCare compliant.
Old Mar 11th 2016, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
thank you I have looked through there for days and can only find info but not an actual application or anyway of telling me how to apply
Old Mar 11th 2016, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
That is quite possibly incorrect, though what happens if you can't afford the premiums depends on which state you live in. Wherever you live, if you can't afford ACA premiums/ your income is too low, the ACA presumes you will be covered by the expanded Medicaid provisions, however a number of states refused to expand Medicaid, leaving some people without coveragex and bizarrely, too poor to qualify for ACA subsidies.

The 19 states that have not expanded Medicaid are those in the SE (all coastal states from Virginia to Mississippi, plus Tennessee), all the plains states from Texas to South Dakota, then westwards Wyoming, Idaho, and Utah, plus Missouri, Wisconsin, and Maine.

nope there is an allied beneficiary he can apply for it is for countries we have been allies with since WWI and basically the va will pay for his care and bill the UK
Old Mar 11th 2016, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Boiler
I sort of assumed that but it does not say that. Now quite what would be approved is another issue.

And not OCare compliant.
nope there are special circumstances for WWII vets but any veteran of an allied country can receive care it is just billed to his native country and it all has to be preapproved unless its emergency
Old Mar 11th 2016, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski

no we can't afford the ridiculous premiums for healthcare at this moment and time he does not qualify for medicaid or medicare until he has worked for 5 years so yes we fall into that small gap
Old Mar 11th 2016, 5:07 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by minxy
nope there are special circumstances for WWII vets but any veteran of an allied country can receive care it is just billed to his native country and it all has to be preapproved unless its emergency
That is what I said, I could see no limitation or what constitutes serving. Would my CCF count.

More importantly as the vast majority of medical need is not an emergency, what do they approve and how long does it take.

And then of course you still need something and there will be the tax penalty to pay.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.