Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Vet fees as bad as medical fees?

Vet fees as bad as medical fees?

Old Jul 22nd 2011, 11:12 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vet fees as bad as medical fees?

Originally Posted by NSBlake
... if they truly wanted to help animals then they would charge less to ensure more animals were helped out.
Respectfully, this is one of the most idiotic comments I've seen posted these many years.

Ian
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 1:20 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

I am moving soon and registered my kitty today with a new vet they charge $80 per visit, where as the old vet was $28 which is cheap......I might look about a bit more but at least he is registered god forbid anything would happen to him!!
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 4:01 am
Forum Regular

mwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of light

if they truly wanted to help animals then they would charge less to ensure more animals were helped out.
In that case...

My eye doctor drives a Porsche Cayenne Turbo and every time I see him he is wanting to do hundreds of dollars of tests due to a problem with one of my eyes.

If he truly wanted to help people with eye problems he would drive a Chevrolet and charge less for his services.

I think I would rather go see my vet than the doctor. For what I have seen the vets are more compassionate and in it for the animals and not the money.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

NSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mwdake
In that case...

My eye doctor drives a Porsche Cayenne Turbo and every time I see him he is wanting to do hundreds of dollars of tests due to a problem with one of my eyes.

If he truly wanted to help people with eye problems he would drive a Chevrolet and charge less for his services.

I think I would rather go see my vet than the doctor. For what I have seen the vets are more compassionate and in it for the animals and not the money.

The point of a Dr and Vet is to help sick people/animals - not to earn lots of cash. If you want to do that become a banker...........
Old Jul 25th 2011, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

NSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Respectfully, this is one of the most idiotic comments I've seen posted these many years.

Ian
Respectively, I'm surprised by that - as per my post below - if vets really wanted to help animals/vets then they wouldn't charge enough to drive flash cars. As I said before - most of the vets I knew in the UK drove a "normal car" and charged appropriate fees...........and I would say more animals were treated and not puit down because of this.

Are you a banker or lawyer?
Old Jul 25th 2011, 1:48 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Respectively, I'm surprised by that - as per my post below - if vets really wanted to help animals/vets then they wouldn't charge enough to drive flash cars. As I said before - most of the vets I knew in the UK drove a "normal car" and charged appropriate fees...........and I would say more animals were treated and not puit down because of this.

Are you a banker or lawyer?
As we discussed earlier in the thread -- what you may see in Darien is not the norm! Vets are earning a living like anyone else, paying their staff, carrying overhead. You may have a vet with a flashy car (in which case, why not find one who is lower key?), but in the 30 years I have had dogs in the US, every vet I have consulted has driven a serviceable SUV of some kind, which is a pretty essential vehicle for the business he/she is in. Vets are in business, not a nonprofit organization. They in the main charge fair prices and help out when people are in need. However, keeping a pet is not inexpensive, and people should only have the pets they can afford to care for.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 1:52 pm
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

I bet a lot of vets have a slush fund for wildlife. I took a sick pigeon to my vets and offered to pay for him but they said they had a fund for that. When I have visited my pets in the 'ward' there have been pigeons, blackbirds etc there.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
As we discussed earlier in the thread -- what you may see in Darien is not the norm! Vets are earning a living like anyone else, paying their staff, carrying overhead. You may have a vet with a flashy car (in which case, why not find one who is lower key?), but in the 30 years I have had dogs in the US, every vet I have consulted has driven a serviceable SUV of some kind, which is a pretty essential vehicle for the business he/she is in. Vets are in business, not a nonprofit organization. They in the main charge fair prices and help out when people are in need. However, keeping a pet is not inexpensive, and people should only have the pets they can afford to care for.
I love the internet.........agree Darien isn't the norm I'll shut up now, I have had my fun.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 4:19 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I'll shut up now, I have had my fun.
So, you're nothing more than a troll. Good riddance to you.

Ian
Old Jul 25th 2011, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
So, you're nothing more than a troll. Good riddance to you.

Ian
On this thread, yes - I apologize was in a bad mood and got carried away.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 10:46 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

I just took Puss to have his Feline Leukemia injection this afternoon it was $28 for the visit and $18 for the injection which is not so bad.

Its worth looking in the local papers for the cheap clinics and the once a month reduced rate mobile clinics.

I will be using these guys in future when I move, check the prices out, it does go to show what a mark up the regular vets are making....next is his Rattle snake injection

http://www.animalspayneuter.com/cont...ccinations.htm
Old Jul 27th 2011, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joto
Our last dog who was 11 when we got him put down, must have totalled up about 3000 in his lifetime for visits, shots etc. 1500 of that was in his last 3 months for xrays, echocardiogram, tests. Most of that was at a vet specialty center. That was a small price to pay for a lifetime of love and companionship. Our regular vet charges about $45-50 per checkup visit and they are very thorough but kind, and don't suggest treatments etc that wouldn't help the animal. I used to work in a vets, so I know if I'm getting the BS treatment.
If there is more than one vet in your area, go to each of them and pick up an info sheet if they have one, and look at their website if any. If they don't, take notes on cost of visit, vacs, spay/neuter and who the vets they use are and research their education, how long have they worked there, etc.

Go to the library and research what type of dog you would want, large, small, short coat, long coat, temperament, etc. Don't just fall for the first cute furry face you see. If you want a particular breed, try the breed rescues. They usually do a great job, mostly with just volunteers. That's the way we got our latest Boxer.
My daughter's dog is unwell right now - he has been at the vet's office for the past couple of days (kept overnight). The bill is up to $700 now for all the tests, xrays, etc. He is a lovely dog (9 year old Golden retriever rescued by daughter & son-in-law 5 years ago). I just hope he is okay after all they are spending on him - they can ill afford the bills, both have lost jobs in the past couple of years and are just trying to get back on their financial feet, pay student loans, etc. I think vet's bills are expensive here - but then it's been a long time since I lived in the UK. I have a cat - I know cat's bills are much cheaper than dogs.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 12:28 am

Originally Posted by Derrygal
My daughter's dog is unwell right now - he has been at the vet's office for the past couple of days (kept overnight). The bill is up to $700 now for all the tests, xrays, etc. He is a lovely dog (9 year old Golden retriever rescued by daughter & son-in-law 5 years ago). I just hope he is okay after all they are spending on him - they can ill afford the bills, both have lost jobs in the past couple of years and are just trying to get back on their financial feet, pay student loans, etc. I think vet's bills are expensive here - but then it's been a long time since I lived in the UK. I have a cat - I know cat's bills are much cheaper than dogs.
Get them to ask if they have a no interest payment plan most seem to offer this service
Old Jul 27th 2011, 12:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Get them to ask if they have a no interest payment plan most seem to offer this service
Thanks for the advice - I will - I'll call my daughter now and mention it.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 1:39 am
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
There is a type of credit card in this area that's called Care Credit (I think), but you have to apply for it. I don't know if that will help or not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.