Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Very low - what should we do ?

Very low - what should we do ?

Old Jun 5th 2011, 5:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Very low - what should we do ?

Originally Posted by Oregon4now
One of the most honest post I have ever had the pleasure of reading, Thank you for sharing such words of wisdom.
True, but the OP has stated he's only here for a 1-2 year assignment, and is tied to his current location due to job ties ... so he's not in a position to 'up and move somewhere else'. Since I think the Bay Area is one of the best places in the US, I don't have much sympathy for his troubles ... he can solve his problems by moving 5-10 miles up the road to Palo Alto - as long as he's willing to massacre the environment by so doing, with all that extra CO2 he'll be polluting us with ...
Old Jun 5th 2011, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

Paul B will become famous soon enoughPaul B will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by dlake02
- Things to do - other than eat, go to cinema or rammed-down-your-throat educational or cheesily commercial....

Right now it feels like we've moved to a country with a substantially worse standard of living than we left....
Take up a hobby, meet other similarly minded folk, try to get into their mind set.

If I lived in the USA I'd be like a pig in shit, as hot rod parts are simply so cheap and available I'd be finishing a new car every six months.

Or if you are not into hot rods, then be into something else. It is so awfully British to simply kick back and moan about stuff, so make a difference.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 8:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond repute

here for a 1-2 year assignment, and is tied to his current location due to job ties
Correct - not really at liberty to move location. Besides, we do have the ability to walk to school and shops just like we had in the UK which is great. Also, we are in a similar-sized house as we were in the UK, and if we moved to PA, we would probably have to down-size as property is so expensive (near London prices).

As with everywhere in this world, there are things we like, things we don't. Whatever, it's an experience that we will all benefit from !

Thanks to all those that have given their advice, viewpoint, flames, etc.