Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Very hard to change address on drivers licences

Very hard to change address on drivers licences

Old Jan 14th 2009, 9:54 pm
Account Closed

garrettciaran is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Very hard to change address on drivers licences

I have just come from the local DPS in a blaze of anger, despite having my passport stamped with i-551 and INS verification, the local DPS just shook their head and referred me to some office 30 miles distant.

I told the jobsworth behind the counter, "How do you think I got the licence in the first place?"

All I got was a blank look and was quoted new regulations.

American bureaucracy:curse::curse::curse:
Old Jan 14th 2009, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Very hard to change address on drivers licences

Originally Posted by garrettciaran
I have just come from the local DPS in a blaze of anger, despite having my passport stamped with i-551 and INS verification, the local DPS just shook their head and referred me to some office 30 miles distant.

I told the jobsworth behind the counter, "How do you think I got the licence in the first place?"

Oh great...I was going to get mine changed tomorrow. Where were you before this address? I've just moved down the road so I'll be really pi**ed if i have to travel miles and miles to sort it out
Old Jan 14th 2009, 11:01 pm
Account Closed

garrettciaran is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lisa67
Oh great...I was going to get mine changed tomorrow. Where were you before this address? I've just moved down the road so I'll be really pi**ed if i have to travel miles and miles to sort it out
I live in Huntsville, TX and am being sent down to Conroe offices 30 miles away. I moved from New Waverly to Huntsville, all of 17 miles.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 11:14 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

i changed mine about 2 weeks ago. I had no issues (well once i remembered all the required docs they wanted! - incl ssn card, letter from L1a employer confirming basic details of employment, passport/visa)
Old Jan 14th 2009, 11:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget if you're not a USC you must notify the Dept of Homeland Security of your change of address.

https://egov.uscis.gov/crisgwi/go?action=coa.Terms
Old Jan 15th 2009, 1:50 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Huntsville, TX and am being sent down to Conroe offices 30 miles away. I moved from New Waverly to Huntsville, all of 17 miles.
Oh...seems I'm probably going to be given the run around too then. Will be interested to see what our little office does with me tomorrow...I'll let you know I know the laws in TX changed recently.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 1:54 am
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

I'm not in Texas but I did mine online. Have you checked the DMV website for your state?

DHS I have not informed yet but I have notified USICS or whatever. (which is on the same link as above so I'm covered)

Last edited by mayhemuk; Jan 15th 2009 at 1:55 am. Reason: Addendum
Old Jan 15th 2009, 2:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mayhemuk
I'm not in Texas but I did mine online. Have you checked the DMV website for your state?

DHS I have not informed yet but I have notified USICS or whatever. (which is on the same link as above so I'm covered)
Tried to do it online but it comes up *you are not eligible to renew online please contact your local office*.....ah well. I'll go down there tomorrow armed to the teeth with proof of who I am, where i live and visa status and see what happens
Old Jan 15th 2009, 2:38 am
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

See my thread here on renewing DL in TX....http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=581452

You might have problems with the 551 stamp as it is not listed on the TXDPS website. I saw on another thread you just got notification of your GC being ordered, if you can wait, I would wait until you have the proper card. Also might help to take a copy of that notice with you when you go to the other office. I suspect you will have problems until you have exactly what documentation is required, the drones do not seem able to apply logic or reason to this particular subject. Interesting to see if you get the temporary visitor DL or a proper one... Oh the joys of living in TX....

- Tim
Old Jan 15th 2009, 3:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by TimFountain
See my thread here on renewing DL in TX....http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=581452

You might have problems with the 551 stamp as it is not listed on the TXDPS website. I saw on another thread you just got notification of your GC being ordered, if you can wait, I would wait until you have the proper card. Also might help to take a copy of that notice with you when you go to the other office. I suspect you will have problems until you have exactly what documentation is required, the drones do not seem able to apply logic or reason to this particular subject. Interesting to see if you get the temporary visitor DL or a proper one... Oh the joys of living in TX....

- Tim
have already decided to wait to see if the GC arrives anytime soon and then tackle changing the address....I understand that they want to stop illegal immigrants from getting a driving license but seeing as most of them drive around without insurance anyway do they think the ILs care that they haven't got a license ???
Old Jan 15th 2009, 5:57 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Please. It's *Texan* bureaucracy. They say it's like a whole 'nother country there.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 8:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Don't forget if you're not a USC you must notify the Dept of Homeland Security of your change of address.

https://egov.uscis.gov/crisgwi/go?action=coa.Terms
AR-11...don't forget the spouse if that's how you got here will have to as well being the sponsor.

As for the DMV, just go to another office in town if you can, they can't all be complete dipshits, there has to be someone remotely sensible in one, per state
Old Jan 15th 2009, 8:48 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Please. It's *Texan* bureaucracy. They say it's like a whole 'nother country there.
Shut it.

OP - Do it online. Takes 5 mins and they don't ask all that stupid crap.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 11:37 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Shut it.

OP - Do it online. Takes 5 mins and they don't ask all that stupid crap.
Wot? I didn't get the accent right?
Old Jan 16th 2009, 12:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Try using a heavy type ink marker pen

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.