Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Very generic advice needed for future! Would be truly appreciated

Very generic advice needed for future! Would be truly appreciated

Old Mar 18th 2013, 7:22 pm
Just Joined

ChristopherNY has a spectacular aura aboutChristopherNY has a spectacular aura aboutChristopherNY has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Very generic advice needed for future! Would be truly appreciated

Originally Posted by LinkTen
Start saving now (for both e-harmony and a masters ). A masters in the US is 2 years usually, and can cost upwards of £30k.
Hahaha! Well that is certainly a doable cost for me and my family sorry for the repetition but thank you to everyone who has offered their advice, you have all truly helped me and joining your community was well worth it! I shall be sure to remain active where possible!

Anyone who has any more advice they can give to me I am reading every reply thoroughly!

King regards,
Christopher
Old Mar 18th 2013, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

LinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really nice

Originally Posted by ChristopherNY
Hahaha! Well that is certainly a doable cost for me and my family sorry for the repetition but thank you to everyone who has offered their advice, you have all truly helped me and joining your community was well worth it! I shall be sure to remain active where possible!

Anyone who has any more advice they can give to me I am reading every reply thoroughly!

King regards,
Christopher
If you can afford it, then it is definitely a good route. Even if immigration reform doesn't happen, if you did a masters in maths (or any STEM subject), you could work in the US for up to 29 months afterwards (research OPT and OPT extension) as long as you secure a job within a specific timeframe after graduating. A good amount of time to hopefully secure a H-1B sponsorship.
Old Mar 18th 2013, 7:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

If you can afford it, then it is definitely a good route. Even if immigration reform doesn't happen, if you did a masters in maths (or any STEM subject), you could work in the US for up to 29 months afterwards (research OPT and OPT extension) as long as you secure a job within a specific timeframe after graduating. A good amount of time to hopefully secure a H-1B sponsorship.
Plus there are 20,000 annual H-1B visas available for foreign postgraduates in addition to the 65,000 H-1B visa for the rest of the world. Usually the 65,000 visas are filled quicker than the postgraduate visas and the company can apply for both.

There are also no quotas for H-1B visas for higher level academia and certain non profit organizations.
Old Mar 18th 2013, 7:58 pm
Just Joined

ChristopherNY has a spectacular aura aboutChristopherNY has a spectacular aura aboutChristopherNY has a spectacular aura about

To those who are asking as to why I wish to move to the States, I apologise if my dream seems to be a 'fantasy' possibly, and considering my relatively young age it may seem unusual to want to emigrate to the US, however with all due respect, this is my dream and I have so many reasons behind it that I feel I do not have to share with everyone online. I have politely asked for advice and I am extremely grateful for all of the comments I have received, and I would rather keep my motives to myself as I hope some of you can understand

I do not wish to 'upset' anyone, just ask for advice from those who are willing to offer it I believe the earlier I research things, the better my standing will be in the future.

Christopher
Old Mar 18th 2013, 8:03 pm
Just Joined

Thank you once more LinkTen and Michael! This is very encouraging to know I appreciate this may be a bit of a vague question, but are there any particular professions that you would recommend that involve math and would be more likely to secure a job in the US? If teaching is not the way, is something like accounting the way to go? I absolutely love math and a career in this field is a certainty for me I'm sure
Old Mar 18th 2013, 8:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

The following is a list of positions needed to be eligible for a H1-B visa. IT jobs acquire the greatest number of quota visas and since they are usually in the highest demand.

http://www.workpermit.com/us/us_h1b_occupations.htm
Old Mar 18th 2013, 8:16 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

If teaching is not the way, is something like accounting the way to go?
I don't think accounting is the way to go, unless you're doing it for some huge worldwide banking industry or something.

I was thinking more towards an engineering/science mathematics, maybe statistical analysis or something.

Math is my weak point, so I don't know much about the kind of jobs given to people in the field of mathematics.

Rene
Old Mar 18th 2013, 8:19 pm
Some Where in the Desert

AZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of light

Thank you once more LinkTen and Michael! This is very encouraging to know I appreciate this may be a bit of a vague question, but are there any particular professions that you would recommend that involve math and would be more likely to secure a job in the US? If teaching is not the way, is something like accounting the way to go? I absolutely love math and a career in this field is a certainty for me I'm sure
Which part of the USA are hoping to move to?

Engineering is basically applied Mathis and physics. As you may have noticed there are a lot people with engineering experience who have moved to the Houston area, but there are other Oil area such as Louisiana, Oklahoma, North Dakota, Alaska.

Information Technology maybe another avenue although lots of competion from India.

Banking is also a possibility particularly if you want to be in the New York area.
Old Mar 18th 2013, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

McZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond repute

To those who are asking as to why I wish to move to the States, I apologise if my dream seems to be a 'fantasy' possibly
Christopher, your dream is not a fantasy and you will succeed in achieving your longer term objectives. I used to mentor fresh grads when I was working in Blighty and I can sense that you are a special breed. You have exceptional writing skills for your age, and you have come across as a refined, focused and determined young man. I suggest, once you have completed your Mathematics course/degree, join one of the “big 4” management consulting firms and gain experience for at least three years. All of the “big 4” have a US presence and it’s easier to get transferred to the US office or any other member firm in the world if you are consistently performing above average. Once you’re done with the course/degree and can’t get an internship with the ‘Big 4’ – PM me and I’ll get you a place.

Keep focused albeit you’re just 18 so enjoy your life - you should be out there shagging birds, the US thing will eventually materialise

All the best lad.
Old Mar 18th 2013, 8:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

King regards,
Christopher
That is only for tuition. Food, rent, air fares, books etc will increase that figure greatly...also fluctuations in exchange rate can change that figure by as much as 25%. You also need to show you that you have the money up front.

Edit: You could try and get yourself on a uni course who will do a study swap with a US uni. That way you could experience what it's like to live here.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Mar 18th 2013 at 8:32 pm.
Old Mar 18th 2013, 8:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Drew.Dean
Which part of the USA are hoping to move to?

Engineering is basically applied Mathis and physics. As you may have noticed there are a lot people with engineering experience who have moved to the Houston area, but there are other Oil area such as Louisiana, Oklahoma, North Dakota, Alaska.

Information Technology maybe another avenue although lots of competion from India.

Banking is also a possibility particularly if you want to be in the New York area.
However information technology (software engineers), hardware engineering (especially wafer fabrication), and biotechnology are probably the easiest jobs to get if looking in the Silicon Valley once you get a Masters degree from a US university with good grades.

Doing your Masters in niche areas such as encryption, wafer fabrication, or gene splicing can be off a great help in finding a job.

Last edited by Michael; Mar 18th 2013 at 8:36 pm.
Old Mar 18th 2013, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I don't think accounting is the way to go, unless you're doing it for some huge worldwide banking industry or something.

I was thinking more towards an engineering/science mathematics, maybe statistical analysis or something.

Math is my weak point, so I don't know much about the kind of jobs given to people in the field of mathematics.

Rene
Okay well I already have an idea of the type of questions I'm going to have to ask those who deal with careers and working abroad, so I thank you very much for your insight Rene

In reply to Drew.Dean, I am obviously not completely sure of what area I hope to work in the US as of yet, I would love to be able to work in the NY area if possible, but I am very open to all possibilities. I suppose now is the time for me to reassess what career path to choose, I think I am very capable of working in fields such as banking or accounting, although I have to say it is the pure maths element that I enjoy the most. I am constantly told how wide a field that mathematics is and that I'm almost spoilt for choice, so that will hopefully play to my advantage if it is indeed true!

Christopher
Old Mar 18th 2013, 8:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by McZaki
Christopher, your dream is not a fantasy and you will succeed in achieving your longer term objectives. I used to mentor fresh grads when I was working in Blighty and I can sense that you are a special breed. You have exceptional writing skills for your age, and you have come across as a refined, focused and determined young man. I suggest, once you have completed your Mathematics course/degree, join one of the “big 4” management consulting firms and gain experience for at least three years. All of the “big 4” have a US presence and it’s easier to get transferred to the US office or any other member firm in the world if you are consistently performing above average. Once you’re done with the course/degree and can’t get an internship with the ‘Big 4’ – PM me and I’ll get you a place.

Keep focused albeit you’re just 18 so enjoy your life - you should be out there shagging birds, the US thing will eventually materialise

All the best lad.
McZaki, I almost feel embarrassed to call you by your username after that wonderful post (although if that is indeed your real name, I apologise haha). Thank you so very much for your kind words, I certainly believe in my ability to achieve this dream, although I am aware I should enjoy my youth whilst it lasts haha ! With regards to the "big 4" and your exceptionally generous offer, you will have to forgive me as my knowledge of that area is nonexistent, but perhaps I could PM you now and we could discuss that option amongst others?

Thank you once again for your words, they are truly appreciated!
Christopher

Last edited by ChristopherNY; Mar 18th 2013 at 9:09 pm.
Old Mar 18th 2013, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

McZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond repute

McZaki, I almost feel embarrassed to call you by your username after that wonderful post (although if that is indeed your real name, I apologise ). Thank you so very much for your kind words, I certainly believe in my ability to achieve this dream, although I am aware I should enjoy my youth whilst it lasts haha ! With regards to the "big 4" and your exceptionally generous offer, you will have to forgive me as my knowledge of that area is nonexistent, but perhaps I could PM you now and we could discuss that option amongst others?

Thank you once again for your words, they are truly appreciated!
Christopher
You're welcome

Regarding the "big 4", Google "big 4" and you will see plenty of articles on them - Alternatively, start here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Four_(audit_firms)

Go to their web sites and familiarise yourself with the nature of the business and the type of professional services they offer, then Google big 4 +mathematics+jobs this will show you their job listings within your area of interest/expertise. Read through the job descriptions, this will help you understand the minimum requirements for the experienced hires, and help you devise a high level career development plan accordingly. Also, Google big 4+internship – this will hopefully take you to the appropriate listings and/or a process to register your interest for the internship – a degree with good grades is a must, interview process is rigorous and only a handful are selected each year.

Lastly, I know a few numpties (pun intended) with mathematics working for the “big 4” and “5 & 6” usually in the Strategy & Operations service lines and they are doing just fine. You could also do one of the accounting qualifications with them e.g. ACCA, CIMA, CPA and they pay for it.
Old Mar 18th 2013, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Muswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond repute

To Whom It May Concern,

My name is Christopher and I'm 18 years of age, and currently studying in the UK. It has been my dream my entire life to live and work in the US, and I was wondering if there was any advice that someone could give me on achieving this. I apologise if this request is not very specific and hence difficult to advise on, but any help someone could offer would be truly appreciated. With regards to my future occupation, I am going to take a pure mathematics university course very soon, and hope to possibly become a secondary/high school maths teacher, and I would like to know whether this is a career that could successfully get me to the US? My knowledge of the available visa is not great, so I'm wondering if you would be able to enlighten me as to whether this is a possibility? And if so, would you be able to explain the routes that I'd need to take in order to achieve this?

Once again I apologise if this is a rather vague enquiry and that I could possibly have obtained this information elsewhere, but I would like to hear from people who have actually achieved my dream and as of this moment the specifics are not my greatest concern, although if they should be please tell me! I'm extremely grateful for any advice someone could give me.

Christopher
Christopher,

If you can earn at least a 2:1 degree, you could apply to do a Ph.D. here in the USA. Doctoral degrees in the US take about 5 years to complete and in maths and science many are fully funded, so your tuition fees will be paid and you will have a modest stipend to live on. With a Ph.D in some maths area you will have absolutely no problem in finding an employer who will sponsor you; many may fight over you, and you may meet an American girl while a student, then the GC issue is moot.

You have the career track that will virtually guarantee you a green card if you play your cards right. Asides from a specialist doctor a mathematician is one of the best professions to be in. At my University we have vacancies for maths Ph.D graduates that we cannot fill, even though they have tried to recruit globally.

Enjoy your degree in the UK, work hard and have fun and you will make it.

Cheers,
MH

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.