Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Verizon plan - ID requirements

Verizon plan - ID requirements

Old May 16th 2013, 5:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Verizon plan - ID requirements

Originally Posted by civilservant
Apparently you must live in a Wifi-ed hub Geoff, because down in the sticks in GA its few and far between!
Depends where you go and if you actually use it out and about. Wifi at home, of course. So many places have Wifi these days - hospitals, some supermarkets and restaurants, stores, even a local barbershop. My wife's usage is in the low tens of MB per month and most of that is probably just background chatter rather than actively using it. I use it more but still only use a tenth of my allowance.
Old May 16th 2013, 5:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

markwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud of

So you've got an iPhone but cant use the data. Yeah that;s really helpful
I don't need a data plan since virtually the only time I can't get wireless is in the car - don't do a lot of surfing whilst I'm driving. Why pay for what you don't need?
Old May 16th 2013, 5:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

markwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by rpjs
You can add data to an iPhone on AT&T PAYG - both me and OH have it. You need a little bit of tech savvy though - you have to download the iPhone Configuration Utility from Apple and set up the AT&T data APN. There are a squillion guides on teh Interwebs on how to do this. Also the $2 a day PAYG plan no longer supports data but the $25 per month plan does. It's another $25 for 1GB data for a month, so $50 per month in all, which is still cheaper than a pay monthly plan.

The only thing we don't have working is voicemail.
Interesting - just been on the site to top-up and the option to add data is not available on the PAYG plan. In any case, that's $25 you don't need to spend: it's hard to go anywhere these days and not find some wireless to use (other than, perhaps, rural Alabama and the like).
Old May 16th 2013, 5:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markwm
Interesting - just been on the site to top-up and the option to add data is not available on the PAYG plan. In any case, that's $25 you don't need to spend: it's hard to go anywhere these days and not find some wireless to use (other than, perhaps, rural Alabama and the like).
Maybe when the MTA sees fit to add wifi to the Metro-North I'll drop data, but not yet!
Old May 16th 2013, 8:44 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it does: I use PAYG on both iPhones without a problem. Just go into the store and ask for a PAYG sim for your iPhone: simple. The only downside is you can't add data to your plan so you are restricted to wireless but not found that to be restrictive at all.
That's the problem I have to have the internet wifi is not an option for me, and no need for a new sim either I have just got back from one of the so called corporate locations and a transfer of sim is not required and yes it does indeed now work on my Android with my regular sim and I have no restrictions data wise, well 1GB which is ample...(same number)

They think the problem was due to a new contract and change over with thier own data/technology.

But all set, the same phone and $70 a month because I pay $5 for international calling.

So no you don't need to get a PAYG sim.
Old May 16th 2013, 8:48 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently you must live in a Wifi-ed hub Geoff, because down in the sticks in GA its few and far between!
I am not going to have a iphone and limited to WIFI not practical at all.....searching around for a WIFI spot yep right!!
Old May 16th 2013, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
I am not going to have a iphone and limited to WIFI not practical at all.....searching around for a WIFI spot yep right!!
I suppose if you're going to live in the middle of nowhere then it would be hard to get decent wifi: in LA it isn't a problem.
Old May 16th 2013, 9:10 pm

I suppose if you're going to live in the middle of nowhere then it would be hard to get decent wifi: in LA it isn't a problem.
I am a traveling sales manager I need it and I work in Sacramento for the most part and San Francisco, oh and I do have voicemail with this plan as well.
Old May 16th 2013, 9:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Sacramento and San Francisco
As I said, the middle of nowhere...
Old May 16th 2013, 10:43 pm

As I said, the middle of nowhere...
Old May 16th 2013, 10:52 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

It's pretty shit down my way too.
Old May 17th 2013, 12:28 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cydonia
I'd like to get a mobile plan with a US company while I'm over there on a B1/B2 visa. I've heard Verizon (as one example) has ID requirements for security reasons. Do I need an SSN and proper US address to sign up with them, or would my Australian ID suffice do you think?
When you say "security", you mean "credit"(ie the security of the provider's cashflow). Probably depends on the provider what they require, but a suitably sized "deposit" will likely get you what you want.
Old May 17th 2013, 5:24 am
Forum Regular

McZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond repute

Wife & I have the T-mobile family plan, no contract, unlimited everything i.e texts-voice(any network) & data including 4G. We pay $130 per month. We brought our unlocked iPhones with us, the shop assistance inserted the sim card and activated the numbers, simples, and so far I've not had any issues.

Verizon, AT&T and Sprint all require Social Security Number for the contract plans. You can get the Pay-as-Go from them without the SSC but none of them offers the data on PAYG plans. The AT&T is the only one who provides the SIM card for your unlock UK phone however no data so it's pish. Also, Verizon and AT&T plans, prepaid and postpaid, are very expensive. The other known vendors like T-Mobile, Sprint and Virgin(runs on sprint) offers the best value for money, only T-mobile gives the SIM card for your smart phone.

AT&T has the best 4G coverage and you can use the hot-spot/tethering feature ii.e use your phone to connect other devices to Internet. The other vendors don't let you do that.

Hope this helps.

P.S: if you're looking for a new phone e.g. iPhone 5 or Samsung S4 then you can trade-in your old smart phone at Radio Shack or BestBuy and purchase a new phone. At present, Radio Shack is giving a $250 gift voucher for an iPhone 4S (good condition with charger) and BestBuy around $220 gift voucher. iPhone5 16GB (no-contract/device only) is $699+tax.

Last edited by McZaki; May 17th 2013 at 5:43 am.
Old May 17th 2013, 10:40 am
Just Joined

Cydonia is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the advice. K so at least I know that pay as you go services are possible....

For data, think I would prefer to organise something myself, since WIFI can be unreliable (might not be present / weak signal) or the WIFI provider might have busted their internet cap etc. Also there's security issues, people can easily sniff your traffic.

The Verizon pre-paid "plans" actually sound pretty decent, they may have updated them recently. Check these out (I selected California as the state):
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/p...e=ppmonthBASIC

So not sure if I'll need an SSN here, or maybe I'll take up RICH's suggestion and give them a nice "deposit"

4G would be good if I can organise it... I don't have a 4G LTE phone yet, might buy one over there.
Old May 17th 2013, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by Cydonia
Thanks for all the advice. K so at least I know that pay as you go services are possible....

For data, think I would prefer to organise something myself, since WIFI can be unreliable (might not be present / weak signal) or the WIFI provider might have busted their internet cap etc. Also there's security issues, people can easily sniff your traffic.

The Verizon pre-paid "plans" actually sound pretty decent, they may have updated them recently. Check these out (I selected California as the state):
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/p...e=ppmonthBASIC

So not sure if I'll need an SSN here, or maybe I'll take up RICH's suggestion and give them a nice "deposit"

4G would be good if I can organise it... I don't have a 4G LTE phone yet, might buy one over there.
Just an FYI the AT&T plan is a better one to be honest, I live in CA and its the No1 provider, Verizon is 2nd plus a PAYG you do not need a SS number.

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/pla...paidplans.html

I know my old room-mate had Verizon and it was spotty in areas!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.