Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Verified by Visa

Verified by Visa

Old Aug 28th 2010, 5:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of light
Default Verified by Visa

Aaaaarrrrggghhh
Tried to buy something online last night and got the "Verified by Visa" thing. There was no option to set it up later or anything so I had to cancel the purchase because I had to enter the last 4 digits of my SSN...I don't have an SSN nor will I be getting one in the foreseeable future
Old Aug 28th 2010, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Verified by Visa

If you don't have a social security number it is worth trying 0000 as the last 4 digits.

A friend of mine who is over here on an F1 visa does not have a social security number but does have a bank account and needed to give the last 4 digits of his SSN to verify some transaction. I remembered that when he set up his account they had just entered all zeros for the number so we tried that and it worked!
Old Aug 28th 2010, 5:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of light

I tried that, it wasn't having a bar of it. I even tried the last 4 digits of my husband's and it wouldn't accept that either.
Old Aug 28th 2010, 9:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

That cropped up for me some time back on an online purchase; I very reluctantly set up whatever they wanted, but I've hardly ever seen it since. This was a few years ago now, I think.

It seemed to be a very ill-conceived idea that happily died off. The problem I had with it was, it was hard to know whether or not the 'verification' itself was legit. or not.

What site did this happen on?

UPDATE - holy crap I keep good records ... (I keep a file of all passwords/accounts set up for online sites) - this happened to me on a British Airways purchase back in 2008.

Last edited by Steerpike; Aug 28th 2010 at 9:46 pm.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 4:14 am
BE Enthusiast

It was a videogames website that I've used for about 11 years with no problems from the UK (the site is based in Canada).
Old Aug 29th 2010, 9:36 am
Account Closed

bivlover is an unknown quantity at this point

If the site is based in Canada, why would they want a US SSN as part of the process? It's just none of their business, ever. And how do they have the means to check if it is correct?

I hate online money transactions, the other day I was locked out of an account because it we disagreed on which street I grew up on.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 11:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

*Sigh* It's not getting resolved anytime soon.

The visa thing is standard, if the payments are made to a US payment place then the VBV thing can kick in. I've just discovered Walmart use it too when I tried to buy some bunkbeds.
The UK use it a lot too but they don't require anything except a password.

I've spoken to First Tech, they say it's a Verified by Visa problem and gave me a number to ring. I rang and VBV say it's a common problem and all I need is for the First Tech to attach a XXX-XXXX-0000 number to my account and I can just put in 0000 and it will work. First Tech say this is lies and there is no such made up number and will not/can not do it. They deny that there is any such workaround number and no bank, institution etc does such a thing. So all of you who have had this done and used this workaround are obviously making it up as you go along

Seriously, if it wasn't for the fact they have a deal with my husband's company so we get an account I wouldn't touch this shower of you-know-whats with a 50 foot pole. I got a credit card from them (it's second card, my husband has the main one) and guess what I need to authorise it...a SSN
We moved into our rental home and made sure they had the change of address, they changed everything in my husband's name but not mine (it's a joint account). I couldn't use my debit card in loads of places (even iTunes) because the card didn't match the address I was using. Oh there's more but you all know I'm a moaning Minnie anyway

Roll on green card and a SSN
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 12:12 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hubcaps

Roll on green card and a SSN
Silly you.. you're supposed to stay home baking barefoot cookies, not romping around shopping everywhere that will let you in with no shoes!

If the people who made this chit up had to live it themselves, I can guarantee we'd see some changes.

PS: why don't you contact First Tech and tell them, good news, I got my SS# for you to put in my account! It's "000-00-0000". (and then ask for a manager)
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 1:14 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bivlover
If the site is based in Canada, why would they want a US SSN as part of the process?
It's not the site itself that wants it - as part of the transaction the OP got redirected to the "Verified by Visa" site which then attempts to verify that the transaction is legitimate.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 2:44 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by md95065
It's not the site itself that wants it - as part of the transaction the OP got redirected to the "Verified by Visa" site which then attempts to verify that the transaction is legitimate.
Yep. And both VBV and the Mastercard equivalent have been thoroughly excoriated by folks who know about security. At best, they're window dressing - If you consider steaming piles of poo to be decoration...