Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Vehicle import from UK

Vehicle import from UK

Old Mar 15th 2006, 2:35 pm
C'mon you Dragons

Schnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to behold
Default Vehicle import from UK

I made the big mistake of not bringing my motorbike over with me - it just seemed like one less hassle to deal with when moving. Anyway Mrs Schnorbitz has agreed to let me look into bringing it over so I want to get moving on it before she changes her mind - which is inevitable . Anyone done this or know of a UK exporter that I can give a load of cash to so they will take care of it?
Old Mar 15th 2006, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vehicle import from UK

Originally Posted by Schnorbitz
I made the big mistake of not bringing my motorbike over with me - it just seemed like one less hassle to deal with when moving. Anyway Mrs Schnorbitz has agreed to let me look into bringing it over so I want to get moving on it before she changes her mind - which is inevitable . Anyone done this or know of a UK exporter that I can give a load of cash to so they will take care of it?

Good luck with that, be interested to hear responses as i am thinking of taking a car back if and when we return to UK.

What bike do you have? Is it something that you couldn't buy over here more cost effectively?
Old Mar 15th 2006, 3:05 pm
C'mon you Dragons

Schnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Big D
Good luck with that, be interested to hear responses as i am thinking of taking a car back if and when we return to UK.

What bike do you have? Is it something that you couldn't buy over here more cost effectively?
Thanks. I could buy the same model here but I had mine customized only last year and am very attached to it. I've had it from new and have toured France, Switzerland, Italy, Spain and Andorra on it. Very emotionally attached!!

Old Mar 15th 2006, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

paul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Big D
Hey Big D, let me know if you need any advice with that. I wanted something a little different in the UK before we came here so I shipped over a Dodge Durango from Arlington to UK.

Unfortunately, I got offered the job here about 2 months after the car arrived in the UK so had to sell it, so it wasn't worth it in the short term. But, I can tell you it was MUCH easier than I expected it to be.
Old Mar 15th 2006, 4:38 pm
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paul_TX
Hey Big D, let me know if you need any advice with that. I wanted something a little different in the UK before we came here so I shipped over a Dodge Durango from Arlington to UK.

Unfortunately, I got offered the job here about 2 months after the car arrived in the UK so had to sell it, so it wasn't worth it in the short term. But, I can tell you it was MUCH easier than I expected it to be.
We have shipped cars to and from the Uk to USA and vice versa many times. The difference being that we have only had to pay for this one time as the military has always taken care of it for us. The only thing that we have ever had to do is travel to the port where it is being shipped out of/to to drop off/pick up the vehicle. The time that we payed for it the military still arranged it but we had to pay as they will only ship one vehicle at a time free of charge and we had two. It cost us $1,000 and that was with the discount through the military. In other words, you have to be really sure that it's something that you want to do as it can be cost prohibitive.
Old Mar 15th 2006, 5:58 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. I could buy the same model here but I had mine customized only last year and am very attached to it. I've had it from new and have toured France, Switzerland, Italy, Spain and Andorra on it. Very emotionally attached!!

For what it will cost you, I would think you could buy a brand new one and re-customise it.

Sentimental attachment can be a very expensive commodity.
Old Mar 15th 2006, 6:17 pm
C'mon you Dragons

Originally Posted by TRPardoe
For what it will cost you, I would think you could buy a brand new one and re-customise it.

Sentimental attachment can be a very expensive commodity.
But I don't know how much it will cost me!! Until I can find out the cost I can't make a decision.
Old Mar 15th 2006, 6:21 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

But I don't know how much it will cost me!! Until I can find out the cost I can't make a decision.
Try these guys. They are in Avonmouth,
Old Mar 15th 2006, 6:34 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Dont' know about bikes, but don't you have to watch out for electrics, well I guess indicators and lights aren't a major problem on a bike
Old Mar 15th 2006, 6:56 pm
C'mon you Dragons

Originally Posted by Bob
Dont' know about bikes, but don't you have to watch out for electrics, well I guess indicators and lights aren't a major problem on a bike
True but the headlight does need to be converted to dip t'other way!
Old Mar 15th 2006, 6:57 pm
C'mon you Dragons

Originally Posted by TRPardoe
Try these guys. They are in Avonmouth,
Perfect - thanks. I'll give these guys a call.
Old Mar 15th 2006, 7:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

True but the headlight does need to be converted to dip t'other way!
where's your sense of adventure
Old Mar 15th 2006, 10:47 pm
Northern Monkey!

jibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond repute

Let us know how you get on, it would be interesting to see how much it costs and how easy the experience is!
Old Mar 15th 2006, 11:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Philgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond repute

A mate of mine looked into bringing his UK bike over but hit a snag as they didn't sell exactly the same model in the US and so no-one "official" would provide the paperwork to confirm it met US DMV standards. Without such paperwork the testing is very expensive apparently as you have to pass the same tests the manufacturers do when they release a new model.

The manufacturer was no help - it was one of the big Jap companies - as the UK entity said they didn't know the US regulations and the US entity said they didn't know how the UK bike was different. The head office in Japan just refused to answer any questions.

In the end I think he sold the bike in the UK and bought a new one (similar but different manufacturer) in the US for the money made on the sale.
Old Mar 16th 2006, 2:59 am
C'mon you Dragons

Originally Posted by Philgr
A mate of mine looked into bringing his UK bike over but hit a snag as they didn't sell exactly the same model in the US and so no-one "official" would provide the paperwork to confirm it met US DMV standards. Without such paperwork the testing is very expensive apparently as you have to pass the same tests the manufacturers do when they release a new model.
Thanks - Luckily the same model is shipped over here from the UK and I'm told that the only difference is the headlights. As long as they are converted by an authorized Triumph dealer and the paperwork reflects that, it should be OK. Allegedly!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.