British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Vehicle- Form for importing and Headlights... Help! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/vehicle-form-importing-headlights-help-92211/)

Cleo Aug 9th 2002 6:29 pm

Vehicle- Form for importing and Headlights... Help!

Hi again,

I have sorted out the moving questions I posted about four days ago... the only thing
that I couldn't find an answer too was if there is a form I need to fill out
regarding the importation of my vehicle?

I have the form provided by the Manufacturer of the vehicle stating that it fits the
standards required... with the exception of the running lights being disconnected (in
Canada all vehicles have headlights that are on all the time for safety reasons). Do
I have to have the running headlights disconnected prior to the move?

Please let me know...

I appreciate all of your help.

Sincerely Cleo and Dave

Ed Chernenkoff Aug 9th 2002 6:46 pm

Re: Vehicle- Form for importing and Headlights... Help!

I brought a 94 Explorer into the US from Canada and my daytime running lights are
still burning bright.. It never even became an issue..

Ed

"Cleo" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected] om...
    > Hi again,
    > I have sorted out the moving questions I posted about four days ago... the only
    > thing that I couldn't find an answer too was if there is a form I need to fill out
    > regarding the importation of my vehicle?
    > I have the form provided by the Manufacturer of the vehicle stating that it fits
    > the standards required... with the exception of the running lights being
    > disconnected (in Canada all vehicles have headlights that are on all the time for
    > safety reasons). Do I have to have the running headlights disconnected prior to
    > the move?
    > Please let me know...
    > I appreciate all of your help.
    > Sincerely Cleo and Dave

Perdue Aug 9th 2002 8:43 pm

They'll fill out any paperwork at the border. I called US DOT about my running lights, because my clearance letter said the same thing. I was told that yes, they had to be disabled, because they were too bright, and I needed to bring a work order with the clearance letter when I imported the car. I took my car to the dealer, had them pull the fuse and complete a work order saying the lights were disabled, drove across the border and popped the fuse back in. I've been driving around with my "blinding" daytime running lights for a year and a half now, and so far no one meeting me on the road has gone crashing into anything because I dazzled their eyes with my oh-so-brilliant lights.

Mrtravel Aug 11th 2002 6:36 am

Some US vehicles have daytime running lights, so that would be no big deal. They
aren't on full power, do they operate at full power in Canada? I am not aware of any
laws in the states that say you can't turn your lights on in the daytime. In fact,
many places have signs telling you to turn them on.

Ed Chernenkoff Aug 11th 2002 3:37 pm

If I remember right they operate at half power on high beam..

Ed

"mrtravel" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Some US vehicles have daytime running lights, so that would be no big deal. They
    > aren't on full power, do they operate at full power in Canada? I am not aware of
    > any laws in the states that say you can't turn your lights on in the daytime. In
    > fact, many places have signs telling you to turn them on.