Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Veggies in the USA

Veggies in the USA

Old Jul 7th 2003, 8:54 am
Go RedSox!

MrsLondon is an unknown quantity at this point

If noone is intending to offend me, how come certain people are posting challenges saying I should be eating meat?
Old Jul 7th 2003, 8:54 am
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up

Atkins absolutely rocks! I've been on it for 5 weeks and I've lost 12 pounds. My clothes fit so much better and I don't get those blood sugar plummets anymore. I'm really happy with the food and it's so easy to stick to I keep forgetting I'm on a diet! Cream is my favourite thing in the world but I never bought it for years because it was thought of as fattening, but now I can have some every day in my coffee and on my sugar free jelly. This diet works.
Old Jul 7th 2003, 12:05 pm
Go RedSox!

Originally posted by Rockgurl
Atkins absolutely rocks! I've been on it for 5 weeks and I've lost 12 pounds. My clothes fit so much better and I don't get those blood sugar plummets anymore. I'm really happy with the food and it's so easy to stick to I keep forgetting I'm on a diet! Cream is my favourite thing in the world but I never bought it for years because it was thought of as fattening, but now I can have some every day in my coffee and on my sugar free jelly. This diet works.

I didn't think you were allowed milk on Atkins, but you're allowed cream? That seems strange!
Old Jul 7th 2003, 2:46 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Veggies in the USA

Sparky,

You really would fit in better in Orlando, can't you change your mind again and go there. NC is a nice place with nice people who have respect for each other - I really hope your arrival isn't the end of that.

You are offensive, bullish and down right rude to everyone on this NG. Go somewhere else if you want to continually upset people with your off hand, misguided and unhelpful remarks. This is supposed to be fun - you could suck the life out of Mardi Gras!

If your not going to post intelligent comments then don't post.

Patrick

Originally posted by mark19964
NO didnt expect that reaction, expected one from a sane person -probably expected too much there !!

Instead got the rantings of a demented woman, Jesus your hubby has my sympathy.

You probably suffer with turetes disease as well, thats the one where you have no control over your mouth and call out / write expletives like asshole and shit stirrer.

May I suggest you shove your nose further up Patricks ass, that way he'll get the colonic to clear the backlog of shit he's full of and you'll get ( being a veggie) all the roughage you can handle.

Mark
Old Jul 7th 2003, 6:19 pm
Here and Loving it

mark19964 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Patrick
Sparky,

You really would fit in better in Orlando, can't you change your mind again and go there. NC is a nice place with nice people who have respect for each other - I really hope your arrival isn't the end of that.

You are offensive, bullish and down right rude to everyone on this NG. Go somewhere else if you want to continually upset people with your off hand, misguided and unhelpful remarks. This is supposed to be fun - you could suck the life out of Mardi Gras!

If your not going to post intelligent comments then don't post.

Patrick

Likewise Patrick

What really really cracks me up is the way you twist everything around and make out your the innocent party, sorry Patrick your not fooling anyone apart from mrs London.

Bye Bye Patrick, go and take your medicine like a good boy.

Mark
Old Jul 7th 2003, 8:57 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by MrsLondon
Any vegetarians out there? I have found that veggies are not generally catered for as well in the US as in the UK. What does anyone else think? For example, in London both McDonalds and Burger King do veggie burgers (BK does two types) but in McDonalds branches in the Boston area they don't do them. I heard they sell them in the Florida branches, but that may be to cater to Brit tourists. When hubby & I went to New York and popped in to TGI Fridays for lunch, we found absolutely nothing vegetarian on the menu except fries, so that's all we had. Even the cheese & tomato pizza had seafood dressing. Also, although I've seen tofu products in the supermarkets around Boston, I haven't seen Quorn, which is sold in every supermarket here. Is vegetarianism not as popular among Americans for some reason?
As a native Londoner now living in the US, I think London and other major cities (Bristol, Birmingham and cities with high uni. student populations) have shops and restaurants that cater to vegetarians and vegans.

Mrs. London- do you know the Fresh and Wild chain? They're excellent as a good source for veggie foods and foodstuffs.

As for the US, vegetarian friendly restaurants and foodshops are patchy. Big cities like NY, San Francisco, Seattle and DC have a large no. of such places but Cleveland, Pittsburgh and the Triangle (NC) have fewer.

I'm not vegetarian but don't eat beef or chicken (for the most part. It's a long story), try to avoid wheat and dairy products. It's very hard for me to do this in NC where I live. In London it was not a problem and I found that many of the products I used to buy were North American, e.g. Rice Dream.

You mentioned Quorn in one of your posts in this thread. From what I've read in the American press, there's a lot of hostility to this food product from the food industry here and that's created wariness by consumers to try this product. I think that's one reason why it's hard to find and when you do, it's pricy. It may catch on but slowly.

NC Penguin
Old Jul 8th 2003, 2:41 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Sparky,

Take down the NC flag - I am proud to live here and you are not worthy. You really are the camel toe in the tight pants of this NG at the mo. Mrs L isn't brown nosing me - she is annoyed with you, I have not given an opinion on this thread, apart from your lack of class and constant need to take a swipe at me.

Heres a newsflash sparky, most people on here get my humour and (unsurprisingly) like me, or at the very least tolerate me. Obviously unlike you no-one has to brown nose me as I give respect to people for the way they treat me and others and not brown nosing.

You are a bitter little man who can't write the year he was born. You think I twist things. Just out of interest which visa are you coming in on and why oh why did you choose a perfectly nice state like NC when you could of gone to the little England of Orlando.

Patrick

Likewise Patrick

What really really cracks me up is the way you twist everything around and make out your the innocent party, sorry Patrick your not fooling anyone apart from mrs London.

Bye Bye Patrick, go and take your medicine like a good boy.

Mark

Last edited by Patrick; Jul 8th 2003 at 2:47 am.
Old Jul 8th 2003, 9:01 am
Here and Loving it

mark19964 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sparky,

Take down the NC flag - I am proud to live here and you are not worthy. You really are the camel toe in the tight pants of this NG at the mo. Mrs L isn't brown nosing me - she is annoyed with you, I have not given an opinion on this thread, apart from your lack of class and constant need to take a swipe at me.

Heres a newsflash sparky, most people on here get my humour and (unsurprisingly) like me, or at the very least tolerate me. Obviously unlike you no-one has to brown nose me as I give respect to people for the way they treat me and others and not brown nosing.

You are a bitter little man who can't write the year he was born. You think I twist things. Just out of interest which visa are you coming in on and why oh why did you choose a perfectly nice state like NC when you could of gone to the little England of Orlando.

Patrick
Yep most people support you Patrick, I was amazed at the numbers that came and supported you on this and the other threads - all 1 of them at last recount, and that was because Ranjini felt sorry for you.

Your getting boring now, stop being the whiner of Willmington, Crusty of Carolina beach or where ever that carcass of yours is beached and take your medicine like a good boy.

Info you required: sorry, its permenant status GC and I have my SSN already, I lived there before remember.

Sorry it didnt make your day.

PS: No one remembers 2nd place, you just made it all your own.

Mark

Last edited by mark19964; Jul 8th 2003 at 9:09 am.
Old Jul 8th 2003, 9:26 am
Go RedSox!

Originally posted by NC Penguin
As a native Londoner now living in the US, I think London and other major cities (Bristol, Birmingham and cities with high uni. student populations) have shops and restaurants that cater to vegetarians and vegans.

Mrs. London- do you know the Fresh and Wild chain? They're excellent as a good source for veggie foods and foodstuffs.

As for the US, vegetarian friendly restaurants and foodshops are patchy. Big cities like NY, San Francisco, Seattle and DC have a large no. of such places but Cleveland, Pittsburgh and the Triangle (NC) have fewer.

I'm not vegetarian but don't eat beef or chicken (for the most part. It's a long story), try to avoid wheat and dairy products. It's very hard for me to do this in NC where I live. In London it was not a problem and I found that many of the products I used to buy were North American, e.g. Rice Dream.

You mentioned Quorn in one of your posts in this thread. From what I've read in the American press, there's a lot of hostility to this food product from the food industry here and that's created wariness by consumers to try this product. I think that's one reason why it's hard to find and when you do, it's pricy. It may catch on but slowly.

NC Penguin

That is strange to hear about the hostility to Quorn. Do you think it is perpetrated by the meat industry? It really is so popular in the UK now, even my mother swears by it.
Last time we stayed with hubby's mom she gave us what I think were quorn burgers. We also had some 'veggie' sausages that tasted like rubber! My hubby couldn't eat them! That's gotta be the first time ever I've had a veggie sausage I didn't like!
Old Jul 8th 2003, 11:37 am
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't think you were allowed milk on Atkins, but you're allowed cream? That seems strange!
It's just that milk contains carbohydrate, but cream doesn't! A strange phenomenom perhaps, but one I am grateful for!
Old Jul 8th 2003, 12:34 pm
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough

Yep most people support you Patrick, I was amazed at the numbers that came and supported you on this and the other threads - all 1 of them at last recount, and that was because Ranjini felt sorry for you.
Mark
Lol I think most of us actually LIKE Patrick. He's funny, he's entertaining even when he's being obnoxious, if you know what I mean I guess he's kind of an acquired taste. Just give him a chance to grow on ya....
Old Jul 8th 2003, 12:45 pm
Pagan Sex God

You will fit in well in the US, your loud, obnoxious and don't take any responsibility for your own actions. Oh, and just like Americans you claim victories when there is no victory to claim.

Permanent Status GC tells me your a pratt - what type of visa - L2, I-130 etc.

Patrick

Your getting boring now, stop being the whiner of Willmington, Crusty of Carolina beach or where ever that carcass of yours is beached and take your medicine like a good boy.

Info you required: sorry, its permenant status GC and I have my SSN already, I lived there before remember.

Sorry it didnt make your day.

PS: No one remembers 2nd place, you just made it all your own.

Mark
Old Jul 8th 2003, 12:54 pm
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough

You will fit in well in the US, your loud, obnoxious and don't take any responsibility for your own actions. Oh, and just like Americans you claim victories when there is no victory to claim.
Patrick
He's funny even when he's being nasty about Americans He could teach you a thing or two about being obnoxious in style.
Old Jul 8th 2003, 1:03 pm

saraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of light

As an American living in the UK (long-time vegetarian), I can tell you that it is a lot more difficult finding veg food in the US than in the UK. Eating out in the US can be a hassle!!! I would recommend getting out the yellow pages and looking for your local health food store - I find that health food stores in the US often carry many brands of veggie food, and often will have their own cafe (whereas in the UK they seem more focused on vitamins and supplements, etc.). More and more supermarkets are also starting to carry vegetarian food (even the local supermarket in my mid-western town of 8,000 people has a vegetarian section!) As somebody else said, university towns/areas often a good place to look for restaurants that cater towards veggies. If you're looking for fast food, apparently Taco Bell's bean burritos are vegetarian (using lard-free beans), but McDonald's fries are coated in beef tallow (unless they've changed in the past year). Try looking for the Vegetarian Society's web page, which has a list somewhere on it of fast food that is vegetarian

As far a Quorn goes, I read about a year ago that the Food & Drug Administration wasn't going to approve it (can't remember the reason). If it is on the shelves, then it must now be approved, but could explain the hostility towards it.
Old Jul 8th 2003, 1:21 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

That is strange to hear about the hostility to Quorn. Do you think it is perpetrated by the meat industry? It really is so popular in the UK now, even my mother swears by it.
Last time we stayed with hubby's mom she gave us what I think were quorn burgers. We also had some 'veggie' sausages that tasted like rubber! My hubby couldn't eat them! That's gotta be the first time ever I've had a veggie sausage I didn't like!
I'll let you decide the level of hostility to Quorn in the US. Here's a couple of articles I found on the web-

http://www.cspinet.org/new/quornpr02_28_02.html

http://www.wired.com/news/technology...,51842,00.html
(this is a 2 page story)

http://www.cspinet.org/new/200208151.html

A couple of points that come to mind about the US media and US food industry's reaction to Quorn.

1- It was created in the UK and is therefore British
2- the soy and derivatives industry in the US is huge and a "new" meat-free food product would be seen as a threat.

Personally, I'm not keen on Quorn (I've eaten it a couple of times, both at home). Neither am I keen on Western soy based food (tofu is yummy) and drink products.

The last comment is unrelated to my desire not to eat GM(O) foodstuffs but that's another thread. I've never enjoyed the taste of soy as it's used in the West.

NC Penguin

NC Penguin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.