VCRs

Old Apr 21st 2005, 9:13 pm
No, it's toe-mart-o!

Chandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant future
Default VCRs

OK I have tried doing a search on this and found a few posts but I am very confused, so sorry if this post is repetitive.

Is there a way of playing UK video tapes on US VCRs? My Mother in Law has recorded the last 3 months worth of Casualty for me and I tried to play it on our VCR and it just showed a black screen. I know I am incredibly sad watching Casualty but its my fav show!

Can i do something to the tape that will make it play or do i need to buy a VCR (if one exists) that will play all videos and how much will that cost?

Thanks in advance
Mrs Chandler
Old Apr 21st 2005, 9:17 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: VCRs

Originally Posted by Chandler
OK I have tried doing a search on this and found a few posts but I am very confused, so sorry if this post is repetitive.

Is there a way of playing UK video tapes on US VCRs? My Mother in Law has recorded the last 3 months worth of Casualty for me and I tried to play it on our VCR and it just showed a black screen. I know I am incredibly sad watching Casualty but its my fav show!

Can i do something to the tape that will make it play or do i need to buy a VCR (if one exists) that will play all videos and how much will that cost?

Thanks in advance
Mrs Chandler
UK uses PAL and US uses NTSC. The two are not compatible. If you look at the videotapes from the UK, it probably say PAL VHS.

I can't remember if you need both a VCR and TV that is dual PAL and NTSC. Back in the UK my parents have a dual PAL/NTSC video recorder but a PAL only TV and can view NTSC recordings fine.

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will correct me if I'm wrong.

NC Penguin
Old Apr 21st 2005, 10:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

About $300 for a dual pal/ntsc vhs player....but there are a few out there, do a google for "dual ntsc/pal vhs player"...probably get quite a bit.
Old Apr 21st 2005, 11:04 pm
Forum Regular

HappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to all

Back in England your mother should buy a cheap DVD writer player she can record DVD's o, and send those over instead. Cheaper postage than bulky tapes.
Then you go out and buy the
CyberHome CH-300 ALL REGION BRAND NEW DVD PLAYER (around $40 to $50)
and tinker around with the decoder, (you'll find instructions on the web), and you're all set. You have DVD player for all regions, and you don't need to worry about a VCR.
This is what we do. In fact I'm converting all VHS Videos to DVD now, must have bought a hundred over from England when we came over.
Old Apr 21st 2005, 11:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Can just download the shows too, www.couchtracker.com and www.uknova.com have the shows if you want to go the bit torrent way...nova has higher quality that you could burn to cd and play on an mpeg-4 dvd player, couch doesn't, so would have to play them off the puter or convert the format.
Old Apr 21st 2005, 11:54 pm
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chandler

Thanks in advance
Mrs Chandler
Another option is to pay someone to convert the tape. A mate of mine recorded Little Britain Series 2 and sent the tape over here. I took it to our local Indian grocery store and for $8, they converted it into NTSC so that I can watch it on a US VCR slash TV.
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 12:28 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by DaveC
Another option is to pay someone to convert the tape. A mate of mine recorded Little Britain Series 2 and sent the tape over here. I took it to our local Indian grocery store and for $8, they converted it into NTSC so that I can watch it on a US VCR slash TV.
That's another cheap option just for the odd video...they can even get it converted in a lot of electronic stores in the UK as well.
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 6:37 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HappyHammer
Back in England your mother should buy a cheap DVD writer player she can record DVD's o, and send those over instead. Cheaper postage than bulky tapes.
How many mothers would be bothered and/or capable to capture video to computer and master the DVD process?! Not mine.
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Sentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
How many mothers would be bothered and/or capable to capture video to computer and master the DVD process?! Not mine.
I'm sure some mothers would, I have, don't know how old your mum is but my son is the same age as you and I am quite capable, thank you very much
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 11:25 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sentosa
I'm sure some mothers would, I have, don't know how old your mum is but my son is the same age as you and I am quite capable, thank you very much
That's commendable. My brother and I spend hours talking my mother through far simpler tasks. I don't know of many people older than 50 that have the gear and the knowledge to capture video and master it to DVD, because of cost issues and the relative infrequency of needing to video capture. But you're right, that doesn't mean that some wouldn't be able to handle the task.
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 11:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Sentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond repute

That's commendable. My brother and I spend hours talking my mother through far simpler tasks. I don't know of many people older than 50 that have the gear and the knowledge to capture video and master it to DVD, because of cost issues and the relative infrequency of needing to video capture. But you're right, that doesn't mean that some wouldn't be able to handle the task.
I guess some people are scared of trying new stuff, that includes younger folks too. I have 2 computers that are well used one I keep mainly for my work with graphics and doing the d.v.d's.It is difficult at first then half the fun is finding out how all the new technology works, keeps the old grey matter in good working order, but then I belive that age is a state of mind and I may be heading for my second childhood, but it is just as much fun as my first
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 11:50 am
Lapine Member

I guess some people are scared of trying new stuff, that includes younger folks too. I have 2 computers that are well used one I keep mainly for my work with graphics and doing the d.v.d's.It is difficult at first then half the fun is finding out how all the new technology works, keeps the old grey matter in good working order, but then I belive that age is a state of mind and I may be heading for my second childhood, but it is just as much fun as my first
Oi! Emma! Your mum is really cool!
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oi! Emma! Your mum is really cool!
aren't I just Emma will say I haven't left my first childhood yet
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 12:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

emmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond repute

aren't I just Emma will say I haven't left my first childhood yet
Id say you were more of an embarresment actually....how many mothers do you know that would smoke pot at your 21st birthday party.....or how many mothers do you know that can break dance.......there's no hope for me.....
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 12:39 pm
Lapine Member

Oh my mother can do the embarrassing bit.... she was driving a carload of me and my friends here in Austin (I was 18) when she slowed down and pointed out a rundown motel and announced that I was conceived there after the local university's football team had won a game.

I'd never known that before.

My friends went very silent and started studying their feet with great interest.

But no, she's never smoked pot or danced much for that matter since she's Southern Baptist.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.