Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Vanguard IRA/Brokerage Account Question

Vanguard IRA/Brokerage Account Question

Old Aug 9th 2022, 4:40 pm
Just Joined

Allies has a reputation beyond reputeAllies has a reputation beyond reputeAllies has a reputation beyond reputeAllies has a reputation beyond reputeAllies has a reputation beyond reputeAllies has a reputation beyond reputeAllies has a reputation beyond reputeAllies has a reputation beyond reputeAllies has a reputation beyond reputeAllies has a reputation beyond reputeAllies has a reputation beyond repute
Default Vanguard IRA/Brokerage Account Question

I would like to know if anyone has had success in setting up secondary phone number validation on Vanguard accounts in the UK.

My spouse and I are dual citizens of the US and UK. Our main home is in the US but we spend about 4 months a year in the UK. We have US cell phone numbers we use when resident in the USA and UK numbers when in the UK

We would like to be able to access our US Vanguard accounts when in the UK but are currently unable to do so because of the compulsory two-factor authentication sending a text message to our US number. We managed to get through a recent visit to the UK by changing the primary number to the UK mobile but that warranted one hour on the phone with Vanguard in the US from the UK and a similar length of time once we returned to reverse it once we were back in the states,

It has been suggested to us that we set up our UK phone numbers as secondary numbers for validation/authentication but no one at Vanguard has been able to explain how we do that. We have tried several times to make the change with Vanguard support and invariably a test message will go to the UK number when we are unable to validate as we are in the US.

All suggestions on how we can perform 2-factor authentication on either of the two numbers will be greatly appreciated.

Old Aug 9th 2022, 5:33 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vanguard IRA/Brokerage Account Question

Originally Posted by Allies
I would like to know if anyone has had success in setting up secondary phone number validation on Vanguard accounts in the UK.

My spouse and I are dual citizens of the US and UK. Our main home is in the US but we spend about 4 months a year in the UK. We have US cell phone numbers we use when resident in the USA and UK numbers when in the UK

We would like to be able to access our US Vanguard accounts when in the UK but are currently unable to do so because of the compulsory two-factor authentication sending a text message to our US number. We managed to get through a recent visit to the UK by changing the primary number to the UK mobile but that warranted one hour on the phone with Vanguard in the US from the UK and a similar length of time once we returned to reverse it once we were back in the states,

It has been suggested to us that we set up our UK phone numbers as secondary numbers for validation/authentication but no one at Vanguard has been able to explain how we do that. We have tried several times to make the change with Vanguard support and invariably a test message will go to the UK number when we are unable to validate as we are in the US.

All suggestions on how we can perform 2-factor authentication on either of the two numbers will be greatly appreciated.
it says you can use a security key as well:

https://investor.vanguard.com/security-center
Old Aug 9th 2022, 5:56 pm
Just Joined

Allies has a reputation beyond reputeAllies has a reputation beyond reputeAllies has a reputation beyond reputeAllies has a reputation beyond reputeAllies has a reputation beyond reputeAllies has a reputation beyond reputeAllies has a reputation beyond reputeAllies has a reputation beyond reputeAllies has a reputation beyond reputeAllies has a reputation beyond reputeAllies has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you. Just called Vanguard and they said the security key would work for us. Not sure why we were sent down the rabbit hole of secondary validation.
Old Aug 9th 2022, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

Just to add again, they will send a set of security keys.

Also, love Vanguard
Old Aug 9th 2022, 9:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

I use my UK mobile number for 2FA validation with Vanguard and my wife uses her UK mobile phone for her account. Are you not able to select a country code when trying to change your phone number for 2FA?

A few months ago we also changed our correspondence address from our daughter in LA to our UK address. Our street address listed at Vanguard was already our UK address so perhaps that is why we had an option of an international mobile number?