Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Valid UK Passport, Green Card

Valid UK Passport, Green Card

Old Sep 20th 2016, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

cliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Valid UK Passport, Green Card

I have just renewed my UK Passport, and have a valid Green card.
I plan to visit friends in a few weeks time and just like to know
( Do I need a valid US Passport) to complete my return trip to and from the UK ?
Old Sep 20th 2016, 7:30 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Valid UK Passport, Green Card

If you only have a green card, you cannot get a US passport. Only US citizens can get a US passport.

Rene
Old Sep 20th 2016, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

cliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond repute

Many Thanks !

Makes Sense . . .

So having a valid UK passport just been updated and a valid Green card is all I need !
Even so the most I will ever get !

So it appears I have everything for a return trip to and from the UK
British passport to enter the UK
Green card to return to US.

Last edited by cliff1961; Sep 20th 2016 at 7:49 pm.
Old Sep 20th 2016, 7:50 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cliff1961
Many Thanks !

So having a valid UK passport just been updated and a valid Green card is all I need !
Even so the most I will ever get !

So it appears I have everything for a return trip to and from the UK
British passport to enter the UK
Green card to return to US.
British passport PLUS green card to enter the US.

I have heard that in theory a green card is sufficient to enter the US, but I wouldn't recommend trying to check in for the flight back to the US using only a green card. I would be reasonably certain that the airlone will want to see your passport. That you have a green card negates your need for ESTA.
Old Sep 20th 2016, 7:51 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you have what you need.

Rene
Old Sep 20th 2016, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

Prior to your departure every step of the process checking bags, security, tickets you require, boarding the plane a passport is always required, but once you enter the US customs border patrol even though I have a British Passport their main concern is the green card.
Old Sep 20th 2016, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

Thank You Everyone !
Old Sep 20th 2016, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Prior to your departure every step of the process checking bags, security, tickets you require, boarding the plane a passport is always required, but once you enter the US customs border patrol even though I have a British Passport their main concern is the green card.
US Customs and Border Protection will still expect you to produce your passport along with your Green Card. If nothing else, they will want your passport so they can stamp it.
Old Sep 20th 2016, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
US Customs and Border Protection will still expect you to produce your passport along with your Green Card. If nothing else, they will want your passport so they can stamp it.
+1

I entered many times with my UK passport and Green Card, and they do stamp the passport. A big advantage of the Green Card over my work visas was that I got to join the line for US citizens and permanent residents.
Old Sep 20th 2016, 9:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
+1

I entered many times with my UK passport and Green Card, and they do stamp the passport. A big advantage of the Green Card over my work visas was that I got to join the line for US citizens and permanent residents.
That does vary from airport to airport and even terminal to terminal. Most places it seems to be Green Card holders get to use the US Citizens' line, but I have encountered a separate line for Permanent Residents at one of the JFK terminals (T8 I think it was). And at Dublin pre-clearance now PRs have to go through the non-US line with everyone else.
Old Sep 20th 2016, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

I am sure customs and Border patrol needs your British passport to stamp and make sure you do not exceed your 90 days limit.
Old Sep 20th 2016, 9:41 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I am sure customs and Border patrol needs your British passport to stamp and make sure you do not exceed your 90 days limit.

You are muddying the waters now. If one has a British passport, there is no 90 day limit in the UK; if one has a green card, there is no 90 day limit in the US.
Old Sep 20th 2016, 11:52 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for that information !

So use to travelling back and for on a 90 day tourist visa for the past 10 years.

Last edited by cliff1961; Sep 20th 2016 at 11:54 pm.
Old Sep 21st 2016, 12:08 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... So use to travelling back and for on a 90 day tourist visa for the past 10 years.
There is no such thing as a "90 day tourist visa"!

< snipped off-topic comment >

Last edited by Noorah101; Sep 22nd 2016 at 5:47 pm. Reason: Snipped of topic comment
Old Sep 21st 2016, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
There is no such thing as a "90 day tourist visa"!

<Snipped>

1: There was such a visa as a 90 day tourist visa as I have flown on them several times before !

2: It was then replaced with the Electronic Esta Visa !

3: keep your Sarcastic attitude to yourself, keep out of my post !

Last edited by Noorah101; Sep 26th 2016 at 11:25 pm. Reason: Snipped off topic comments

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.