Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Valentine's at School

Valentine's at School

Old Jan 30th 2011, 4:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Oregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Valentine's at School

Originally Posted by MrsY
Oh I'm so uncool!! I just got to Target and buy the stuff but get my little boy to write them ALL out
No,no,no you are way cool if you want to bring treats to the class
Thats is exactly how my Mom used to do it as well, Mom, sisters and myself would go to the store and us kids would agonize for 10-20 minutes over which awesome box of Valentines to get, the superheros or the glittery ones with the stickers.., then we would sit down at the table with the names List and she would get me started and then off baking she would go, The week beforehand at school we were busy in art class handcrafting unique Valentines cards to present to the Loved ones in the family, Funny as I am writing this I am remembering the box I have in my garage with all the handmade seasonal cards my son made during his young school years One day I plan to horrify him and share them with my hopefully soon to have Grandchildren ..lol
Old Jan 30th 2011, 5:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Oregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Yeah...it's not better or worse in the US it's just different. Once I accepted that it made life easier.

IMHO Americans are open to embrace all things that are British. My husband had a board meeting towards the end of the year...he took mince pies and cream...everyone loved them.
This is off topic but I was just compelled to answer this...

I was reminded why I love the british accent/society..
They way the say schedule..it is so cool...
I like how the spell Colours...why, I don't know, but I love it..also in the same vein, favourite..
cheque..traveller & theatre (I misspell these 2 alot )
ALSO Tonnes (aka TONS) that is cool..
mum is another
The 'cockny' accent is fun as well..
They have tea every day and stop whatever they are doing to do so...way cool..wish we could do that with coffee here!!
The royal family is fascinating to us as well, half the Country stayed up till the wee hours to watch Dianna & Charles get married, the entire USA went into mourning with the loss of the Princess of wales, she was our Princess too and the grief in the streets was heartbreaking, everybody was red eyed and numb, I will never forget that day, as most Americans will not either.
They have pubs, not bars..sounds classier...
They have a PALACE! how cool...all we have is the white house...
Changing of the guard...and how the guards can't react to anything you do..hehe... (We know this because of " I love Lucy " )..haha
You can drink there at 16...what I wouldn't have given..lol...
Wanker. there is an awesome word. I use it alot..
bloody hell,git,telly, gobsmacked, loo,prat, pram..love those too
Not to forget the beautiful literature and awesome history and Castles, as well as Jack the ripper and Miss Marple.
British Cars are way cool and don't even get me started on the music, beyond awesome !
We hold the Brits it high esteem and it hurts our feelings to know that many claim to hate us, our culture and way of life.
We know we are loud and uncouth when being a tourist,we can't help it because we are so enthused and excited to be there.
We are often disappointed when we find out that most Brits do not know the Queen on a personal basis.
Americans have had a love affair with the Brits for over 150 years and we respect and admire the British spirit especially during WW1-2, They survived the Blitz and carried on with life.
I am sure there are more things I like, but this is all that my addled brain can come up with And before anybody jumps on me, I know I posted a bunch of generalizations.
Mods feel free to delete or move this as I knowI highjacked the thread, My Bad !

Last edited by Oregon4now; Jan 30th 2011 at 5:50 am. Reason: typo*
Old Jan 30th 2011, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

CarrotCruncher is a jewel in the roughCarrotCruncher is a jewel in the roughCarrotCruncher is a jewel in the roughCarrotCruncher is a jewel in the roughCarrotCruncher is a jewel in the rough

Up until and including 5th grade my children all get a list of the members of their class along with key teachers & classroom helpers. If the children choose to give a valentine, they have to give it to all of the class members on the list, even the ones that punch them in the face and rip up their library books.... Although it does say that giving the teacher a gift is a nice way of saying thank you, it is not required.

My children are in 3 different schools within the same school district, however the policy for home baking is rigidly enforced: No home baked / prepared food items can be taken to school. Their justification for this is potential allergens within the food, poor hygiene within the environment that the food was prepared in and religious reasons (gelatin etc.) Its a shame, as I love to bake.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 1:31 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oregon4now
ALSO Tonnes (aka TONS) that is cool..
I enjoyed your list... have to agree on all counts, except this one.

Tonne isn't just a spelling difference. A tonne is a metric ton - equal to 1000kg or roughly 2205lbs, and therefore 205 lbs heavier than a US ton.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread!

Ian
Old Jan 30th 2011, 1:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CarrotCruncher
Up until and including 5th grade my children all get a list of the members of their class along with key teachers & classroom helpers. If the children choose to give a valentine, they have to give it to all of the class members on the list, even the ones that punch them in the face and rip up their library books.... Although it does say that giving the teacher a gift is a nice way of saying thank you, it is not required.

My children are in 3 different schools within the same school district, however the policy for home baking is rigidly enforced: No home baked / prepared food items can be taken to school. Their justification for this is potential allergens within the food, poor hygiene within the environment that the food was prepared in and religious reasons (gelatin etc.) Its a shame, as I love to bake.
Sending cards to everyone in the class was the rule at my daughter's school too. The rule was also extended to parties...although I don't know how it could be enforced.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 1:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ja5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of light

You can drink there at 16...what I wouldn't have given..lol...
It's 18 to drink in the UK, although they don't ID as much in pubs.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 2:11 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

It kind of feels like Halloween again with cards!

Never sent halloween cards. The valentine cards for school kids is a box for about $2.99 for 25 cards.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

MrsY will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Sending cards to everyone in the class was the rule at my daughter's school too. The rule was also extended to parties...although I don't know how it could be enforced.
You have to invite everyone to your party?
Son's preschool rule was either invite everyone or post the invites out if you don't.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

This is off topic but I was just compelled to answer this...

Wanker. there is an awesome word. I use it alot..
bloody hell,git,telly, gobsmacked, loo,prat, pram..love those too
I've forgotten the word wanker!!!
Also 'fanny' doesn't have the same meaning in US does it?
Old Jan 30th 2011, 3:11 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

I've forgotten the word wanker!!!
Also 'fanny' doesn't have the same meaning in US does it?
No - in the US it's your arse, not your minge.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 3:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Someone was telling me that she and her husband were so tired that they 'pushed eachother's fannies up to bed."
Old Jan 30th 2011, 3:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

My kids elementary and middles schools only allowed store bought treats
Old Jan 30th 2011, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Someone was telling me that she and her husband were so tired that they 'pushed eachother's fannies up to bed."
Old Jan 30th 2011, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lisa67
My kids elementary and middles schools only allowed store bought treats
Old Jan 30th 2011, 4:50 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Thanks, Keith...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.