Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Valentine's at School

Valentine's at School

Old Jan 30th 2011, 1:52 am
Forum Regular

MrsY will become famous soon enough
Default Valentine's at School

Just wondering if it is normal for all the kids to give each other candy/sweets at school on Valentine's. Also what do you get the teachers?
Old Jan 30th 2011, 2:11 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Valentine's at School

Originally Posted by MrsY
Just wondering if it is normal for all the kids to give each other candy/sweets at school on Valentine's. Also what do you get the teachers?
You can get boxes of small cards suitable for giving to other students in the class. My daughter used to take candy to share around the class.

We didn't give anything to the teachers.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 2:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Ja5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of light

You can get the teachers anything. Just don't let your other half find out......
Old Jan 30th 2011, 2:45 am
Forum Regular

We got sent a list of all my little boy's friends in his class plus extra 5 teachers for Valentine's!!!!
Old Jan 30th 2011, 2:49 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

We got sent a list of all my little boy's friends in his class plus extra 5 teachers for Valentine's!!!!
We found the same when we moved here...my daughter entered at year 6. In the UK one teacher taught several subjects...in the US they went from teacher to teacher.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 2:53 am
BE Enthusiast

jackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud of

Does the list say what you're supposed to do with it?
Did they just give you a class list or did they specifically tell you which friends he has?

This year is my first with a kid in school (she's in nursery) and I doubt that we'll be expected to do anything (although my daughter has already written a valentine message for one of the boys - yikes!)
Old Jan 30th 2011, 2:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackattack
Did they just give you a class list or did they specifically tell you which friends he has?

This year is my first with a kid in school (she's in nursery) and I doubt that we'll be expected to do anything (although my daughter has already written a valentine message for one of the boys - yikes!)
They like you to give a card and or present to everyone, not just friends.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 3:18 am
Forum Regular

It kind of feels like Halloween again with cards!
Old Jan 30th 2011, 3:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jackattack

It was a list of everyone in the class!!! Plus his teacher and 5 extra teachers.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 3:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Oregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond repute

It was a list of everyone in the class!!! Plus his teacher and 5 extra teachers.
They do this just in case a parent wants to make sure everybody in the class get's a Valentines card for the Valentines exchange, no presents are required or expected, though my Mom used to bake Cupcakes for us to bring to class. ( Was great having the Cool Mom )
Usually the list is for the k-2 kids as they probably cannot remember the name of everybody in their classroom and it is always nice to be thoughtful and include everybody when passing out Valentines, teachers included. If you would like to do more such as cupcakes or treats I would ask the teacher if thats ok and what would they suggest as an appropriate treat, that is if you wanted to go the extra mile. Though this is totally up to you and as stated above it is not a requirement or an expectation.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 4:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Oregon4now
They do this just in case a parent wants to make sure everybody in the class get's a Valentines card for the Valentines exchange, no presents are required or expected, though my Mom used to bake Cupcakes for us to bring to class. ( Was great having the Cool Mom )
Usually the list is for the k-2 kids as they probably cannot remember the name of everybody in their classroom and it is always nice to be thoughtful and include everybody when passing out Valentines, teachers included. If you would like to do more such as cupcakes or treats I would ask the teacher if thats ok and what would they suggest as an appropriate treat, that is if you wanted to go the extra mile. Though this is totally up to you and as stated above it is not a requirement or an expectation.
I don't mind getting everyone in class a little treat, I was just surprised with the extra teachers names on there. In UK you just give Valentine's cards to ones you fancy
Old Jan 30th 2011, 4:03 am
SUPER MODERATOR

I get the cupcakes...on my daughter's first birthday in the US (she was 12) she took choc cornflake cakes and the kids loved them. You can put different coloured M&M's in them...ie pink/red for Valentine's Day...pastel for Easter...orange for Halloween etc.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 4:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Oregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond repute

I don't mind getting everyone in class a little treat, I was just surprised with the extra teachers names on there. In UK you just give Valentine's cards to ones you fancy
Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I get the cupcakes...on my daughter's first birthday in the US (she was 12) she took choc cornflake cakes and the kids loved them. You can put different coloured M&M's in them...ie pink/red for Valentine's Day...pastel for Easter...orange for Halloween etc.
Yay, you Cool Moms rock !!
Old Jan 30th 2011, 4:20 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Yay, you Cool Moms rock !!
Yeah...it's not better or worse in the US it's just different. Once I accepted that it made life easier.

IMHO Americans are open to embrace all things that are British. My husband had a board meeting towards the end of the year...he took mince pies and cream...everyone loved them.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 4:32 am
Forum Regular

Oh I'm so uncool!! I just got to Target and buy the stuff but get my little boy to write them ALL out

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.