British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Vaccinations for school (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/vaccinations-school-598426/)

Dougster75 Mar 18th 2009 5:36 pm

Vaccinations for school

BTW we got notification from attorney that L1B all approved today! Interview next... :)

When we were in the US, the missus visited a prospective school who gave her a list of necessary vaccinations for the kids to have done before they could start. It included 3 doses for Hepatitis-B.

So she visited the local nurse today to see about getting the kids jabbed for Hep-B. In order to do 3 doses, they could have 1 now, 1 in a month and the last in 6 months time.

The problem is that we are hoping to move out before the end of this US school year and so wouldn't have time for the final one. Does this mean the kids wouldn't be able to attend school until 6 months away?

Appreciate any advice or experiences. I did do a bit of a search but couldn't find anything quite right...

Thanks,

Doug.

Trixie_b Mar 18th 2009 5:38 pm

Re: Vaccinations for school

You could object to the vaccinations. Are your children at high risk of catching Hep B - Ie, sharing body fluids with others? or living in shit (literally)?

rebs Mar 18th 2009 5:40 pm

we moved to Texas last July with our 10 year old son.

We didn't have time to complete the 3 hep b shots in the UK, so left them until we moved here. We only had to have started the course of 3 shots to get our son started at school. The school nurse was pretty hot on chasing up with us that we completed the series!

Trixie_b Mar 18th 2009 5:45 pm

http://www.mercola.com/article/vacci...void_shots.htm

This article tells how to legally avoid vaccinations.

Please note, I'm not anti vaccines. I do think they have a place, however, the hep b one for children is completely unnecessary in my opinion, it's not given in the UK.

However, it is up to the parents, but I'm just pointing out that you don't have to do this for school, there may be another way.

Chi_town Mar 18th 2009 6:05 pm

As Rebs posted, we came to the U.S with just the first dose, my kids started school immediately and we just found a local Dr and got the next 2 doses on the timescale. No big deal, just get a note for the school nurse when you get the follow up doses.

Mummy in the foothills Mar 18th 2009 6:39 pm

I just signed off on the Heb B for my son in school. They get way too many as it is. I waited till he was getting ready to go off to college, then he got that one.
There's a couple we don't do. The rest we have had done, some late, some on time. They cannot exclude your child from school for lack of vaxes, unless there's an outbreak at that time.

Ozzidoc Mar 18th 2009 6:56 pm

[QUOTE=Trixie_b;7394376]

Please note, I'm not anti vaccines. I do think they have a place, however, the hep b one for children is completely unnecessary in my opinion, it's not given in the UK.

[QUOTE]

Texas isn't the UK. I suspect that there is a much higher prevalence of Hep B in Texas.

Englishtart Mar 18th 2009 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 7394614)
I just signed off on the Heb B for my son in school. They get way too many as it is. I waited till he was getting ready to go off to college, then he got that one.
There's a couple we don't do. The rest we have had done, some late, some on time. They cannot exclude your child from school for lack of vaxes, unless there's an outbreak at that time.

I'm not sure that is the same everywhere, In Colorado and here in Illinois, we have had notes from the nurse when vaccines were due, both have stated that my child would NOT be allowed to take classes, if they did not get confirmation that he had the shots. I forgot to get them one time and got a very strong letter reminding me. I called the school and apologized, I told her I would get it done asap. She told me then, that his last day of school would be that Friday, if we didn't produce a vaccination note.:confused:

penguinsix Mar 18th 2009 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc (Post 7394670)

Texas isn't the UK. I suspect that there is a much higher prevalence of Hep B in Texas.

BINGO. Hep B is much more common in Latin America and Asia and with Native American populations. If many states kids of these immigrants will be the majority, and there will be a lot of the classmates that will be Hep positive.

As others have said, you merely have to start the procedure. You can finish it when you get over here.

In some states they actually threaten jail time and fines for parents that don't get shots.

Good article in the Guardian recently about vaccinations and how the US has a much better vaccination rate, and a much lower measles rate for example:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...es-mmr-vaccine

neil Mar 18th 2009 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by Trixie_b (Post 7394376)
http://www.mercola.com/article/vacci...void_shots.htm

This article tells how to legally avoid vaccinations.

However, it is up to the parents, but I'm just pointing out that you don't have to do this for school, there may be another way.

I agree there are some unnecessary ones. NJ is the first state to try to force all kids in daycare or school to have the flu shot (NJ also has the highest number of required vaccinations apparently - anything to do with several large medical companies having headquarters here?). We are claiming our religious exemption for that one (a medical one is tough to get). There are websites out there that will help you.

We're also trying to spread the necessary ones out more than the official schedule and we haven't run into problems yet, but luckily our daycare isn't in your face about getting their records updated until they are forced to hand it over.

naomi Mar 18th 2009 7:47 pm

My little girl started a new daycare in September, and for some reason we were behind on one of her Hep B shots. We just had to let the school know that we intended to catch up on the missing shot within a certain timeframe. Maybe providing the timeframe for having the shots is good enough?
Naomi.

Mummy in the foothills Mar 18th 2009 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by Englishtart (Post 7394774)
I'm not sure that is the same everywhere, In Colorado and here in Illinois, we have had notes from the nurse when vaccines were due, both have stated that my child would NOT be allowed to take classes, if they did not get confirmation that he had the shots. I forgot to get them one time and got a very strong letter reminding me. I called the school and apologized, I told her I would get it done asap. She told me then, that his last day of school would be that Friday, if we didn't produce a vaccination note.:confused:

They always try the scare tactics first.
Here's the rules for IL.

and for CO

and NJ

Englishtart Mar 18th 2009 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 7394872)
They always try the scare tactics first.
Here's the rules for IL.

and for CO

and NJ

I understand that you can use medical/religious waivers, apart from my Son being a type 1 diabetic, he doesn't have any medical reasons for refusal, we filled in the school admission paperwork with the "what is your religion?," question, as christian, so no excuse there either. I'm not really looking for excuses to get out of having them, I would rather be safe than sorry, especially as he already has a pretty serious medical problem. I was just trying to bring up the point, that you can't just not get them and think the school won't notice.
as a note, I would not let him have the MMR if I was a new Mom today, I think there is too much of a risk for autism with that one.

Trixie_b Mar 18th 2009 9:08 pm

[QUOTE=Ozzidoc;7394670][QUOTE=Trixie_b;7394376]

Yup, I suspect you're right, however, I wouldn't expect a child to be at risk from Hepatitis B

as stated on webMD, hep b is spread by infected blood and other bodily fluids such as semen, vaginal secretions, saliva, open sores, and breast milk.

I would not expect a child, to be at risk during regular and routine school activities.

The immunization schedule in the US gives a hep B shot to babies shortly after birth, there is NO need if the parents or immediate family are not hepb carriers. A baby would NOT be exposed or at risk of exposure.

Toonyank Mar 18th 2009 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by Dougster75 (Post 7394324)
BTW we got notification from attorney that L1B all approved today! Interview next... :)

When we were in the US, the missus visited a prospective school who gave her a list of necessary vaccinations for the kids to have done before they could start. It included 3 doses for Hepatitis-B.

So she visited the local nurse today to see about getting the kids jabbed for Hep-B. In order to do 3 doses, they could have 1 now, 1 in a month and the last in 6 months time.

The problem is that we are hoping to move out before the end of this US school year and so wouldn't have time for the final one. Does this mean the kids wouldn't be able to attend school until 6 months away?

Appreciate any advice or experiences. I did do a bit of a search but couldn't find anything quite right...

Thanks,

Doug.

We are moving to Arizona in 3 weeks time. My son is 9 and has not had Hep B so he has 2 of the doses so far - one on 26 Jan, second on 23 Feb and he has his final third one this coming Monday 23 March. They can do a speeded up schedule. Cost for us was £44 for the vaccination itself and then £15 per injection - guess each GP's practice is different, some charge, some don't. Let me know if you want to know any more.