Reload this Page >

Vaccinations for Enrollment in School

Vaccinations for Enrollment in School

Old Jan 9th 2015, 11:00 am
Just Joined

PaulineMurray is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Vaccinations for Enrollment in School

Hi,

Looking for advice myself and my two boys aged 8 & 10 are moving the Houston at the end of the month (my husband is already there on a L1 visa) and in order to enroll in school we have been given a list of vaccinations that the boys have to had before they can start. My question is with the Hep B vaccination as I have been advised that they need 3 doses which can only be done over a six month period with first dose taking place on Monday. My question is has anyone had the same problem and would the school accept them before the 3rd dose which could potentially mean we can't move as quickly as I wanted. My husband is calling the school later today. Any help gratefully appreciated.
Old Jan 9th 2015, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

Phyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vaccinations for Enrollment in School

Probably best to take the word from the school district, as I am sure it will vary.

For my children we provided their records, but they had never had Hep B jabs. They actually started school and had to have the first jab of the series by a set date. I believe that they shouldn't have been allowed to start school without the first jab, but didn't have to complete the full set.

This was in PA. I am sure that this is going to vary by state and possibly even school district.
Old Jan 9th 2015, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

My kids had the 1st dose of their HepB vaccines before we flew over and had the booster shots when we were in the US. Their school, in Indiana, were fine with accepting them as I showed proof they had started the course of shots.
Old Jan 9th 2015, 1:18 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Each school district will have their own policy on this and how strict they are.

Usually though, if you have started the series of 3, they would allow you to start school.

You should speak to the school nurse who would probably be the quickest way of finding the info as a lot of school district sites tend to be rubbish when looking for the details.
Old Jan 9th 2015, 1:20 pm
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
You should speak to the school nurse who would probably be the quickest way of finding the info as a lot of school district sites tend to be rubbish when looking for the details.
This

Our school nurse is fab. My son wasn't allowed to start school until he'd had at least one of each vaccination required, including hep a and hep b.
Old Jan 9th 2015, 1:47 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

As with other replies our boys had to have started on the 3 x hep b course in order to start school. They are now due their last jab and we have had a letter from school giving us until April to comply.
Old Jan 9th 2015, 2:44 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Our school district is less forgiving.Llike others have set, phone the school and ask to talk to the nurse. In our district the only options are all the shots, or the opt out form.
Old Jan 9th 2015, 3:15 pm
Just Joined

PaulineMurray is an unknown quantity at this point

I have just phoned and thankfully as long as the boys have started the vaccination they will enroll them on the understanding that we will complete the doses. They have also advised me that my sons both need polio jags as they were done before there 4th birthday but I have just spoken to our doctor and they will do this for me. Glad I didn't arrived in Houston without speaking to the school as this could have caused me to delay there start.

Thanks again everyone, once again your advice has been invaluable.