Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Vaccinating children to the tilt!

Wikiposts

Vaccinating children to the tilt!

Old Nov 15th 2008, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vaccinating children to the tilt!

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Having seen first hand how bad CP can be if I had young kids now I would have them vaccinated.
Thing is you can't just base these decisions on your personal experiences alone. My first-hand experience of vaccinations is that one of my children was nearly hospitalised after her DTP, and needed antibiotics to recover. But I know this was a very rare occurence, and that the diseases she was vaccinated against are likely to be much more serious, so I continue to have my children vaccinated even though it scares me silly each time.

Mine had chickenpox and felt a bit poorly and itchy for a few days, which is the typical experience. Chickenpox causes serious complications in extremely few children.

On the other hand, if my children hadn't had chickenpox by the time they hit their teens I'd consider suggesting the vaccination to them then, because it is a much more serious disease the older you get.
Old Nov 15th 2008, 6:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I know I am I had Shingles last fall then got the shingles vax hoping never to get that again.
Interesting...shingles vax isn't used in the UK or Europe to my knowledge. I hope that you never get shingles again - it looks like a painful condition, and can be very dangerous to the eye and eyesite.

(Shingles is the reactivation of the chicken pox virus which has been laying dormant in the body's nerve root.)
Old Nov 15th 2008, 6:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
The problem I've seen here with the CP vaccine is that some of the kids seem to get a mild dose of chicken pox not once but multiple times. Ds's best buddy i Kindergarten got it every year most of the way through elementary school, meaning he ended up with a week of every time it happened. He wasn't the only one either, there were quite a few kids this happened to.
Hmmm this sounds quite strange. I would suspect immunospression if it were one kid, but it's unusual for it to happen to several ie for several kids to be immunosupressed.
Old Nov 15th 2008, 7:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pennywell
Because of the GC process both kids have had all vaccinations. To be honest, I didn't agree with the Hep B one but the school district demanded it. both girls have been vaccinated with Gardisil and if it prevents ovarian cancer in later life, good. As a family we have lost too many to this disease.
The Hep B one annoys me in that the virus is only spread through bodily tissue such as blood and whilst worthwhile for medics etc, why Hep B when menningitis is more of a danger to teenagers?
Gardisil prevents ovarian cancer??? Have you evidence for this? It's used to prevent cervical cancer

Hep B is passed in blood, semen and saliva. When I worked in Oz as a waitress, it was strongly recommended that we were vaccinated against it, due to the contact with glassware ergo saliva.

I saw an 18 yr old girl need - and receive! - a liver transplant six weeks after she first had her first sexual encounter with her first boyfriend, as he had (unknowingly) Hep B.

There are some parts of the world where Hep B is endemic (ie it's present in a large proportion of the population). I'm not familiar with it's prevalence in the US, but I think that it is in some populations in the south/south west. Not in the US as a whole...same as in Oz, where it is endemic (or close to) in the aboriginal population.
Old Nov 15th 2008, 7:08 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

I had shingles aged 11, which is rather young to get shingles! I don't think there is a shingles vaccinations as such; shingles is caused by dormant chickenpox virus (varicella) which re-erupts from the spinal nerves where it lives for someone's whole life after exposure to either chickenpox OR the varicella vaccine.

I have heard that the vaccine's varicella strain is "less likely" to re-emerge than garden variety strains of varicella.

However, after hearing coworkers mention that shingles is rare in India, I did some Googling and found research which indicates that re-exposure to other people who are currently have chickenpox seems to re-boost the immune system and help prevent the virus from re-emerging as shingles. If this theory is true, then possibly receiving the varicella vaccination as an adult might help prevent shingles -- but haven't heard of anyone actually having this one.