Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Vacation places in the US

Vacation places in the US

Old Feb 26th 2009, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Vacation places in the US

Well we got back last night after spending 8 days in Florida.

KOA camp ground PINE ISLAND to be exact.

We drove down, which took 23 hours as we had a fifth wheeler, and the bikes on the back of that. The weather was lovely. The old folks at the camp ground was great. They were all in bed by 9 and up at 4.30 (yukky) taking their dogs for a walk. The pool was heated, and they had the normal facilities and activities going on.

We rode the bikes every day and came home burnt. Just like a good holiday huh!!

Anyone know of anywhere thats worth going? Or where to avoid?
Old Feb 26th 2009, 1:42 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vacation places in the US

If you don't mind the ride I think the two camping trips we took with our popup years ago were great. One was to Conway, New Hampshire in the shadow of Mt. Washington. Take the cog railroad to the summit or if your brakes are good, the car. The other was in Wells Beach, Maine. Lots to do and see and if you are willing to drive further go to Acadia National Park in upper Maine and see the sunrise at the point where it first hits the eastern seaboard.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 1:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I went to Hilton Head last year and it was one of the best holidays I've ever been on, a lot to do if that's what you like or nothing to do if you just want to sit on the beach or the by the pool. We stayed in the Grand Ocean resort which was fantastic but I gather that you can rent out really nice places in Sea Pines which is a kind of gated area of the island and very, very nice. I highly recommend it.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

kstoss9 is a name known to allkstoss9 is a name known to allkstoss9 is a name known to allkstoss9 is a name known to allkstoss9 is a name known to allkstoss9 is a name known to allkstoss9 is a name known to allkstoss9 is a name known to allkstoss9 is a name known to allkstoss9 is a name known to allkstoss9 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Rete
If you don't mind the ride I think the two camping trips we took with our popup years ago were great. One was to Conway, New Hampshire in the shadow of Mt. Washington. Take the cog railroad to the summit or if your brakes are good, the car. The other was in Wells Beach, Maine. Lots to do and see and if you are willing to drive further go to Acadia National Park in upper Maine and see the sunrise at the point where it first hits the eastern seaboard.
Maine's slogan is "Vacation Land" after all

~Kate
Old Feb 27th 2009, 6:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

Avoid all of Florida
Old Feb 27th 2009, 6:18 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Maine, if you like short hikes and biking, plenty of nice little trails around Camden and Rockland and then Bar Harbor as it starts to open up, before the mad crowd rush makes it shit.
Old Feb 28th 2009, 12:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimFountain
Avoid all of Florida
done it. Was actually nice. With all the old codgers. Naples was lovely.
Old Feb 28th 2009, 2:01 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deedee13
done it. Was actually nice. With all the old codgers. Naples was lovely.
Things can only get better, then.
Old Feb 28th 2009, 2:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
I went to Hilton Head last year and it was one of the best holidays I've ever been on, a lot to do if that's what you like or nothing to do if you just want to sit on the beach or the by the pool. We stayed in the Grand Ocean resort which was fantastic but I gather that you can rent out really nice places in Sea Pines which is a kind of gated area of the island and very, very nice. I highly recommend it.
Hilton Head is really nice. It's one of the areas I remember loving as a child, and you're right - plenty to do in a pretty setting.
Old Feb 28th 2009, 2:21 am
BE Forum Addict

DeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure you've been already, but go to Disney again!
Old Feb 28th 2009, 2:23 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone know of anywhere thats worth going? Or where to avoid?
For a long weekend, the UP is a must. Tahquonemon Falls, pictured Rocks lakeshore, the north side of Superior in Ontario is fantastic too.

Also a few years ago took Melissa and the kids to Manitoulin Island on Lake Huron, it's a bit of a treck and you get the ferry from Tobermoray northwest of Toronto but that's real nice too.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 4:32 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Nor did she take an hour to visit me ...
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Ray
Nor did she take an hour to visit me ...
dont know where u are... going to orlando today.. will be there for all of three hours. !!! gaga.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 1:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

DeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond repute

dont know where u are... going to orlando today.. will be there for all of three hours. !!! gaga.
And I thought me at Houston for a total of 8 hours was short!