British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Vacation ideas in the US? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/vacation-ideas-us-471401/)

Kaffy Mintcake Aug 4th 2007 1:15 am

Vacation ideas in the US?

Hi all,

My husband and I are trying to pick out a place to visit for 7-10 days in September and are stuck. It's going to have to be within the US as I haven't renewed my passport yet and there's no way that could happen in time with the delays.

Any places where you've been and enjoyed yourself? We're struggling to come up with an idea that sounds appealing.

If anyone else is looking for ideas - we've had a blast in New Orleans, and enjoyed coastal Maine very much last year.

Thanks!
Kathy

TruBrit Aug 4th 2007 1:24 am

Re: Vacation ideas in the US?

Originally Posted by KJ2007 (Post 5146339)
Hi all,

My husband and I are trying to pick out a place to visit for 7-10 days in September and are stuck. It's going to have to be within the US as I haven't renewed my passport yet and there's no way that could happen in time with the delays.

Any places where you've been and enjoyed yourself? We're struggling to come up with an idea that sounds appealing.

Thanks!
Kathy

how's about seeing the fall colours in new england or better still grab a last minute flight to the england across the pond ;) lots of places to get your passport back in time, there was a thread on here a while back

Kaffy Mintcake Aug 4th 2007 1:25 am

Originally Posted by TruBrit (Post 5146355)
how's about seeing the fall colours in new england or better still grab a last minute flight to the england across the pond ;) lots of places to get your passport back in time, there was a thread on here a while back

We were actually planning to do the UK this fall, but it might be rough on the budget, and I don't think I could get my passport renewed in time. I've read that even if you pay the expedited fares it's averaging 6 weeks or so. Totally my fault - I meant to send it in and just didn't do it.

AdobePinon Aug 4th 2007 1:28 am

Hi all,

If anyone else is looking for ideas - we've had a blast in New Orleans, and enjoyed coastal Maine very much last year.

Thanks!
Kathy

Depends on what you are looking for....

Jerseygirl Aug 4th 2007 1:33 am

Originally Posted by KJ2007 (Post 5146357)
We were actually planning to do the UK this fall, but it might be rough on the budget, and I don't think I could get my passport renewed in time. I've read that even if you pay the expedited fares it's averaging 6 weeks or so. Totally my fault - I meant to send it in and just didn't do it.

Someone posted a few days ago that non expedited took 14 weeks.

For me the no 1 US destination has to be Hawaii. :thumbup:

Kaffy Mintcake Aug 4th 2007 1:38 am

Originally Posted by AdobePinon (Post 5146362)
Depends on what you are looking for....

That's the problem! I don't know what I'm looking for. I do have a few items already ruled out, including:

Arizona (will be there for Christmas)
Maine (there last year)
Louisiana (there recently)
Indiana and Kentucky are too close
Nowhere where it will be miserably hot in mid September

That doesn't help much, does it? :)

Kaffy Mintcake Aug 4th 2007 1:39 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 5146371)
Someone posted a few days ago that non expedited took 14 weeks.

For me the no 1 US destination has to be Hawaii. :thumbup:

Hawaii is VERY nice. We went 2-3 years ago. One of my cousins lives there. Not a bad life. :) Definitely pricey though.

NC Penguin Aug 4th 2007 1:41 am

Originally Posted by TruBrit (Post 5146355)

I think early September would be too early to see the fall colors unless the OP heads to the NNE. e.g. New Hampshire, Vermont, Maine.

Bill_S Aug 4th 2007 1:42 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 5146371)

For me the no 1 US destination has to be Hawaii.

You beat me to it...

The missus and I were there in Sept. of 05. After we returned, friends asked if we liked it there. My answer was that if we could afford it, we'd be on a plane to Maui tomorrow. Two years later I still feel that way.

Bill_S Aug 4th 2007 1:45 am

Originally Posted by KJ2007 (Post 5146384)
That's the problem! I don't know what I'm looking for. I do have a few items already ruled out, including:

Arizona (will be there for Christmas)
Maine (there last year)
Louisiana (there recently)
Indiana and Kentucky are too close
Nowhere where it will be miserably hot in mid September

Howzabout Washington or Oregon? Had a great time in Seattle last year.

Kaffy Mintcake Aug 4th 2007 1:48 am

Originally Posted by Bill_S (Post 5146394)
Howzabout Washington or Oregon? Had a great time in Seattle last year.

Oh yeah? I thought of that actually - definitely an option.

Kaffy Mintcake Aug 4th 2007 1:49 am

Originally Posted by NC Penguin (Post 5146387)
I think early September would be too early to see the fall colors unless the OP heads to the NNE. e.g. New Hampshire, Vermont, Maine.

You're right - even that far north it's a smidge too early (we were in that area last year) - and the latest we could go would be the 2nd week in September.

markhawksley Aug 4th 2007 2:46 am

How about exploring the California coast? North of LA it's beautiful.

Cape Blue Aug 4th 2007 2:52 am

Hi all,

Thanks!
Kathy

how about the Seattle to SF road trip?

kind of depends whether you are a countryside & hiking crew or a City entertainments bunch

Kaffy Mintcake Aug 4th 2007 3:49 am

Originally Posted by markhawksley (Post 5146465)
How about exploring the California coast? North of LA it's beautiful.

I did the 17 mile drive as a child (we had family in Oakland) - beautiful.