Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

vacation in Cuba on us pport via Canada?

vacation in Cuba on us pport via Canada?

Old Jul 3rd 2014, 3:31 am
Forum Regular

judesM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default vacation in Cuba on us pport via Canada?

Does anyone know how easy it is for a us citizen to travel there without hassle from us border returning to us? I have a UK pport however hubby only has USA pport. I read something about not getting stamped on entry to Cuba? We want to meet w family traveling to Cuba for a holiday. I hear the beaches are gorgeous.

Thanks!
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 4:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: vacation in Cuba on us pport via Canada?

I have been to Cuba years ago and it was full of Yanks they dont stamp your passport as they know the score but I think the USA have relaxed the regs recently, It,s a great place for a hol I loved it

Neil
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 6:29 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Think you need to post this into the Caribbean or USA forum and ask those guys

Caribbean - British Expats

USA - British Expats
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 6:32 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
Think you need to post this into the Caribbean or USA forum and ask those guys

Caribbean - British Expats

USA - British Expats
I'll move to the USA forum. It can bounce from there if needs be.
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 12:26 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I think the US regulations are relaxed to the extent that it is now easier to go to Cuba from the US on a legitimate tour that is educational, religious etc. You might be able to travel legitimately from the US if you find such a tour on the right dates for you.

It would still be illegal for you to simply travel to Cuba, as US citizens. (I believe.) Also, I don't know whether the Canadian authorities or the airline would allow you to board, with a US passport...
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

bruceba has a spectacular aura aboutbruceba has a spectacular aura aboutbruceba has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by robin1234
I think the US regulations are relaxed to the extent that it is now easier to go to Cuba from the US on a legitimate tour that is educational, religious etc. You might be able to travel legitimately from the US if you find such a tour on the right dates for you.

It would still be illegal for you to simply travel to Cuba, as US citizens. (I believe.) Also, I don't know whether the Canadian authorities or the airline would allow you to board, with a US passport...
Not illegal, Canada does not care, why should they?
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 2:56 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Check the State Department site

Cuba

U.S. federal regulations restrict travel to Cuba to licensed travelers engaged in certain specified activities. All U.S. travel to Cuba must be licensed by the Department of Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) and must fall into one of 12 categories. Further information on the licensing process can be obtained from OFAC or at its website. Those contemplating travel to Cuba should consult the consular information page about the country. Following the resumption of Migration Talks to discuss implementation of the 1994-95 Migration Accords, in July 2013 the State Department announced the extension of the duration of non-immigrant visas for Cuban travelers from six months (single entry) to five years (multiple entry).
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 2:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bruceba
Not illegal, Canada does not care, why should they?
The US loves to create extraterritorial laws, that compel foreign counties/companies/banks to do this or the other.
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 3:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234

Technically, it's not actually illegal for USCs to visit Cuba without being on a licensed trip. The way the law is actually written, it's illegal for USCs to spend money there if not on a licensed trip. However, the US considers trips of more than one day duration to be prima facie evidence that money must have been spent. So, practically speaking, it's the same thing.

The licensed tours are incredibly expensive and the itineraries are rigid. They are not designed for beach lovers.

I think it's absolutely ridiculous that USCs are denied access to Cuba yet we can visit countries likes Russia, China, etc. The embargo is over 50 years old and has no place in today's world. I've never been but I know many USCs get around the embargo by traveling there via other places in the Caribbean, Mexico, or Canada. However, US bank and credit cards will not work there so you need to find other ways to access your money (e.g. bringing cash).
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
The embargo is over 50 years old and has no place in today's world.
It'll carry on until either Florida stops being a swing state and Cuban-Americans cease to be a big chunk of Florida's electorate, or both.
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

judesM is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info everyone! Some interesting points. Particularly the one about Cuban Americans and an ax to grind!
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
It'll carry on until either Florida stops being a swing state and Cuban-Americans cease to be a big chunk of Florida's electorate, or both.
Support for the embargo among Cuban-Americans has been gradually dwindling. Support is strongest among older people (who will likely die sooner but who are also more likely to vote) and weakest among younger people (who will likely live longer but who are currently less likely to vote). We'll soon be at the point where the split is 50-50.
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 8:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Can be iffy. A mates then girlfriend got help up when she returned to the US via Mexico for 8 hours of questioning and got a fine for her troubles. Born and bred Californian.

She went to Cuba for a friends wedding, was a bridesmaid I think. The bride and most other folks were all Canadian.

It was the loose change and postcard souvenir that got her into trouble when they searched her bag looking for drugs...she was a bit of a hippy at the time
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 11:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Technically, it's not actually illegal for USCs to visit Cuba without being on a licensed trip. The way the law is actually written, it's illegal for USCs to spend money there if not on a licensed trip. However, the US considers trips of more than one day duration to be prima facie evidence that money must have been spent. So, practically speaking, it's the same thing.

The licensed tours are incredibly expensive and the itineraries are rigid. They are not designed for beach lovers.

I think it's absolutely ridiculous that USCs are denied access to Cuba yet we can visit countries likes Russia, China, etc. The embargo is over 50 years old and has no place in today's world. I've never been but I know many USCs get around the embargo by traveling there via other places in the Caribbean, Mexico, or Canada. However, US bank and credit cards will not work there so you need to find other ways to access your money (e.g. bringing cash).

Land Of The Free indeed.
Old Jul 4th 2014, 12:44 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by judesM
Does anyone know how easy it is for a us citizen to travel there without hassle from us border returning to us? I have a UK pport however hubby only has USA pport. I read something about not getting stamped on entry to Cuba? We want to meet w family traveling to Cuba for a holiday. I hear the beaches are gorgeous.
I wouldn't recommend it given the amount of information sharing there is. Just because the Cubans don't stamp the passport doesn't mean the State Dept. won't find out about it. Given that you sound like you're an LPR, that info coming to light when you apply for US citizenship for example could be messy.

It's not just about you going either, there have been issues for example with people taking various bits of technology into Cuba which the State Dept. holds to be in violation of US export law.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.