British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Vacation / Annual leave comparison (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/vacation-annual-leave-comparison-821978/)

sultanoflondon Jan 16th 2014 8:01 pm

Vacation / Annual leave comparison

Hi all,

I live in the UK and I was wondering about the vacation / annual leave that USCs get. I know that it will vary from job to job, profession to profession and state to state, but what is the general notion? How much less do you get there? Is there any other type of leave that you can claim, or something?

Thanks.

moi Jan 16th 2014 8:03 pm

Re: Vacation / Annual leave comparison

Originally Posted by arjunbendre (Post 11082147)
Hi all,

I live in the UK and I was wondering about the vacation / annual leave that USCs get. I know that it will vary from job to job, profession to profession and state to state, but what is the general notion? How much less do you get there? Is there any other type of leave that you can claim, or something?

Thanks.

It is very dismal compared to the UK. Standard 10 days to start in many companies ...if you are lucky. They do not have to provide it by law neither. What is your profession?

Lucybell33 Jan 16th 2014 8:08 pm

Hi all,

Thanks.

I was worried about this, but certainly my hubby's company's deal isn't too bad. US contract provides 20 days holiday (compared with 27 days on his UK contract), but they also had a shutdown over Christmas, which the UK employees don't get, so much better than expected. I think this is way above average though. (His job is in IT in CA.)

AmerLisa Jan 16th 2014 8:19 pm

My husband had 27 days at his prior company and 25 days at his present company. He works in Telecommunications. Prior to leaving the UK, he had accumulated 6 weeks.

Pulaski Jan 16th 2014 8:41 pm

How many fewer? As of today, aggregate vacation days and public holidays, "-3 fewer". :p

Before I left the UK I had 25 vacation days and 8 public holidays.

I started with 21 days eleven years ago, plus 10 public holidays, so at that time I got 2 fewer. Then I lost 2 of the public holidays :( .... but got 2 more vacation days instead! :thumbsup: (I wish they'd exchange the rest of my public holidays for vacation days! :D ) Then after ten years service I got another 5 vacation days, so now I have 3 days more than I had in the UK (28 vacation days, 8 public holidays). :)

Noorah101 Jan 16th 2014 8:44 pm

Is there any other type of leave that you can claim, or something?

It depends what the reason for the leave is. You could probably take a leave of absence, but it will be unpaid.

There might be some kind of paid maternity leave, depending on the company, if that's what you're thinking of.

In general, my understanding is that the USA offers much less time off than the UK. That's about all you can say, as you mention each company will be different.

Rene

jibsymalone Jan 16th 2014 8:49 pm

I have no vacation time or any personal time. i get 7 paid holidays. I feel so blessed!

DebzinUS Jan 16th 2014 9:10 pm

In my last health care admin position, I received 9.2 hrs every two weeks, so nearly 6 weeks/yr. BUT this included all paid vacation time, all sick days, and bank holidays.

Now I work in HE (nursing faculty). I work a 12 month contract and get paid semester breaks off. A week at Thanksgiving, about 3 weeks at Christmas, a week for spring break, 3 weeks in May, 3 weeks in August, and all bank holidays when school is in session. I also receive 5 sick days per contract. Not too shabby :) From what I understand, this is probably much more than I would receive in the UK.

Hotscot Jan 16th 2014 9:33 pm

Vacation time usually 10 days for a professional.
Additionally 10 or so Public Holidays annually..(similar to UK Bank Holidays.)
I thought it would have been a big deal but I usually asked for an extra day or so in advance of my two week vacation so that I could arrive in the UK by the weekend then enjoy a proper fortnight.

All the three day weekends here gives ample opportunity for long weekends in other States and that can feel like mini vacation...well I suppose they are anyway.

Of course now that I run my own business....:)

civilservant Jan 16th 2014 10:08 pm

10 days + 7 public holidays here.

No sick time though.

ScousePete Jan 16th 2014 10:13 pm

When I started my current job, with a big national company I got zero vacation days building to 10 after 12 months. It went to 15 after 5 years and is now capped at 20 days after 10 years.

I get 6 sick days a year, which if not used convert to "extended illness" days, which caps at 60 days. I also get 8 holidays a year, one of which floats.

limeynus Jan 16th 2014 10:26 pm

I get 15 days per year. Accrued at 10 hours a month, time must be accrued before it can be taken. I also get 8 holidays a year.

When I started this job 10 years ago, we also got the week of Christmas off, but that disappeared about 6 years ago.

My 15 days includes my sick time. :(

Mr Weeze Jan 16th 2014 10:40 pm

20 days + 10 public holidays + 26 flex days + any sick leave I need.

mmhendrie Jan 16th 2014 10:45 pm

I get 15 vacation days, but that went from 10 to 15 after 5yrs with the company. Next bump will be in 2yrs when i hit 15yrs with the company! I can do carry-over as 'use it or lose it' is illegal in California. We get about 10 holiday's per year, and finish half day before 2-3 of the major holidays. We also finish at 3pm on Friday's in the summer which seems insignificant but with a young kid now, it really helps.

I've been here a while and just gotten use to it. I had more vacation working minimum wage in the UK, but after a while, to be honest, I sometimes struggle to use all my vacation.

I've worked 3 places, and the norm has been 10 days to start. That seems the norm for most junior to mid level professionals, higher levels tends to get better gigs, and have greater range to negotiate.

markonline1 Jan 16th 2014 11:53 pm

I went from 35 days holiday a year in the UK to zero out here. I accumulate holiday in this job up to a maximum of 5 whole days a year for the first 2 years, and then 10 days a year after that. I can take plenty of time off unpaid should I wish. Big whoop dee doo!