British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   V(ery)OT - For IT Types Only (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/v-ery-ot-types-only-105798/)

jeffreyhy Nov 20th 2001 2:53 pm

I have a Gateway computer. Strike 1.
Running under Windows Me. Strike 2.
I use MS Outlook to receive faxes. Strike 3 - I'm out.

I don't know why, but I find it quite unbelievable that Gateway and Microsoft have given me the capability to receive faxes but no capability to view them. Faxes arrive as type AWD (Fax Viewer Document) files attached to an otherwise empty e-mail message. I have no application assigned to handle this type of file, and I cannot find any application on my sytem that is capable of opening an AWD file.

Does anyone know what application or utility I need and where I might be able to get a copy?

A closely related question - an application named kodakprv.exe is assigned to print AWD files, and according to Folder Options - File Types - Edit File Type this application exists in my C:\Windows\ directory. But it does not.

Any insight on these issues would be greatly appreciated.

Now back to your regularly scheduled topic.

Regards, JEff

Alvena Ferreira Nov 20th 2001 3:30 pm

jeffreyhy wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
http://www.pictview.com/pvw.htm

I'm no geek, but this looks workable. alvena

Shamanix Nov 20th 2001 3:45 pm

>
    >

Ouch. Ouch. Ouch. :)

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Given that Winfiles.com is now defunct and part of the oh-so-bloated C-Net family,
I'd recommend looking around on TuCows (www.tucows.com) for some sort of fax viewing
application. Generally, anything with a 4+ cow rating *can* be worth using. It's hit
and miss, but I don't imagine you care so much about functionality at the moment as
seeing what that fax is. =)

>
    >
    >

Search for it with the Find function out of the Start Menu... if you can't find a
file with that name, try your restore CD(s) that came with the computer (I'm 90% sure
that Gateway uses restore CDs, rather than the actual OS/driver disks)

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

Hope this helps a bit. Take care. :)

-J

Grinch Nov 20th 2001 9:36 pm

>
    >

JEff baby,

What fax programme are you running?

I am sure that when MS bought out ME the previous versions of winfax supplied with 95
and 98 would not work

AWD files were opened by this programme or a download called Imaging for
windows. I think Paintbrush may open AWD files but I aint sure as I am on my 3rd
case of Heineken.

Here is MS word on the subject.

IMPORTANT: In order to have faxing capabilities on your Windows Me-based computer,
Microsoft recommends you obtain and install a third-party fax program. To help you
determine what fax program best suits your specific needs, you could contact a
software reseller in your area, search the Internet for fax programs that are
compatible with Windows Me, or you can post a message in the Software section of the
Windows Me peer-to-peer newsgroup located at: Microsoft Product Support Newsgroups to
see what other Windows Me customers are using.

Take a look at Tucows.com there has to be some free stuff out there.

Grinch

jeffreyhy Nov 20th 2001 10:27 pm

Grinch,

See Strike 2 - I can send and receive faxes using MS Outlook.

I can't open the faxes I receive - as AWD files - with anything. I tried Paintbrush, without success.

Thanks for the suggestions. Two people have now suggested searching Tucows, so I'll be giving that a try for a complete package (send, receive, and view) and consign Outlook to the trash.

What's Otty's opinion on this, or has he been helping you with those Heinekens?

Originally posted by Grinch
    >
    >

JEff baby,

What fax programme are you running?

I am sure that when MS bought out ME the previous versions of winfax supplied with 95
and 98 would not work

AWD files were opened by this programme or a download called Imaging for
windows. I think Paintbrush may open AWD files but I aint sure as I am on my 3rd
case of Heineken.

Here is MS word on the subject.

IMPORTANT: In order to have faxing capabilities on your Windows Me-based computer,
Microsoft recommends you obtain and install a third-party fax program. To help you
determine what fax program best suits your specific needs, you could contact a
software reseller in your area, search the Internet for fax programs that are
compatible with Windows Me, or you can post a message in the Software section of the
Windows Me peer-to-peer newsgroup located at: Microsoft Product Support Newsgroups to
see what other Windows Me customers are using.

Take a look at Tucows.com there has to be some free stuff out there.

Grinch

ralph Nov 20th 2001 10:39 pm

I had a similar issue some time ago. It is not unique to Windows ME.

The issue was resolved by renaming the .awd extension with .fax

However *I MUST WARN* that renaming this extension is done at the registry level, therefore it is absolutely Important to exercise caution. Changes made at the registry level are immediate and unforgiving. Pushing a wrong button can be disasterous. You will be on your own. So be Very Careful in exercising this option.

Again, this is just one of the ways to resolve the issue. There may be other (safer) ways to do it.

Here's how:

Point to Start on your Windows Desktop and click Run.
type regedit and click Enter.
A Registry Editor will be opened.
You should see a set of folders under My Computer.

Expand the first set called HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT by clicking on the plus sign left of the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT

A series of dot three letter extensions should open up.

Look for the .awd extension. Highlight and rightclick the .awd folder and choose rename. Rename .awd to .fax

close out of the editor. and restart the computer.
This method has resolved most of the fax viewing issues, unless a third party vendor mandates otherwise.

If this does not solve the problem, you can go back to the reg editor and undo the earlier steps by renaming it back to .awd

Good luck

ralph

Originally posted by jeffreyhy
I have a Gateway computer. Strike 1.
Running under Windows Me. Strike 2.
I use MS Outlook to receive faxes. Strike 3 - I'm out.

I don't know why, but I find it quite unbelievable that Gateway and Microsoft have given me the capability to receive faxes but no capability to view them. Faxes arrive as type AWD (Fax Viewer Document) files attached to an otherwise empty e-mail message. I have no application assigned to handle this type of file, and I cannot find any application on my sytem that is capable of opening an AWD file.

Does anyone know what application or utility I need and where I might be able to get a copy?

A closely related question - an application named kodakprv.exe is assigned to print AWD files, and according to Folder Options - File Types - Edit File Type this application exists in my C:\Windows\ directory. But it does not.

Any insight on these issues would be greatly appreciated.

Now back to your regularly scheduled topic.

Regards, JEff

Onigiri Nov 20th 2001 11:37 pm

>
[usenetquote2]> > Thanks for the suggestions. Two people have now suggested searching Tucows, so[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I'll be giving that a try for a complete package (send, receive, and view) and[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > consign Outlook to the trash. What's Otty's opinion on this, or has he been[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > helping you with those Heinekens?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
    >
Well put ! The image viewer from Wang ( comes with many versions of Windows, and
certainly with NT) is supposed to read awd files. I am not sure if it comes with ME.

Whit Nov 21st 2001 12:08 am

On my computer, this is what opens AWD files.
C:WINDOWSKODAKIMG.EXE

It is a graphics application from Microsoft, called IMAGING FOR WINDOWS.
(written by Kodak)

I would suggest acquiring this, or another such application. An AWD file is a bitmap
file type, a compressed image.

It would be convenient for yourself if you registered the application you end up
with, by going to MY COMPUTER., clicking on the VIEW menu, choose FOLER OPTIONS, then
select the FILE TYPES tab. See if you can analyze one file type so you can ADD the
AWD. Afterwards, you can double-click on the faxes.

>

Whit