Uuugghh!

Old Sep 7th 2002, 11:09 pm
James Donovan

Default Re: Uuugghh!

Rete <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > The military requires that you produce evidence of US citizenship and/or a ten year
    > green card as has been shown by others on the NG who wished to join the military
    > before obtaining their full unconditional PR status.

The military does not require a ten year green card. As long as you have a green
card, whether it be conditional or 10 year, a person can enlist. I have confirmed
this with my local recruitment office, and I know CPR's who have enlisted, and
have had their conditions removed while they were on duty. Those who have had bad
experiences in this NG have probably met recruiting officers who did not know
about the law.

Old Sep 7th 2002, 11:12 pm
James Donovan

[email protected] (Chris Parker) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]. com>...
    > > Because there is nothing wrong with going back to Jamaica. Immigrants who
    > > immigrate here adjust quite well, so why can't he do the same back in Jamaica?
    > > He will have an easier life and be able to work legally without any trouble.
    > Here's a technical question for those of you seeking a challenge on this topic:
    > What are Jerome's options if he enlists and serves in the U.S. military?

He cannot, unless he has a green card.

Old Sep 8th 2002, 5:21 am
Mrtravel

Chris Parker wrote:
    > > Did he register with selective service as required by law, even for illegal
    > > aliens? If not, then this is something else that can be held against him.
    > Men can register with the selective service up until age 26. He's only 19 so he
    > has time, although he is "required" top register if they were to go about
    > enforcing this law one day.

No, he has to be continuously registered UNTIL he is 26.

Old Sep 8th 2002, 8:57 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Rete:
The acts of September 11 had nothing to do with your husband's situation. As his/your previous posts started he arrived in the US was illegal as his mother paid someone while in Canada to smuggle him into the US at the age of two. She then supposedly got a phony visa of some sort and came here later.

Section 245(i) was in affect and expired long before September 11th and its extension has been in debate in Congress since its expiration. Before September 11th there were many people who were against the reactivation of the bill as they feel that rewarding illegals for illegal activity is wrong.

Speaking only for myself and no one else on the board, your husband and his mother and all the other illegals piss me off when they circumvent the INS rules and regulations for their benefit. We, US Citizens and foreign fiancees and spouses, have followed those rules, jumped through hoops, had our petitions delayed because of the influx of petitions due to Section 245(i) when it was in affect and are not given preferential treatment even though we are US Citizens. It burns me to see illegals be able to get status ahead of or at the same time as a family member of a USC who is doing things legally. Why play by the rules if the government is only going to reward you down the line for ignoring them.
.... Rete
I'm with you all the way Rete. Why on earth do we jump through all the hoops just to see others come in illegally and then be allowed to stay as if they had been legal from the outset. Send 'em back, that's what I say!
Old Sep 8th 2002, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

ralph is an unknown quantity at this point

I suppose your ancestors were native Americans.

Originally posted by Pulaski:

I'm with you all the way Rete. Why on earth do we jump through all the hoops just to see others come in illegally and then be allowed to stay as if they had been legal from the outset. Send 'em back, that's what I say!
Old Sep 8th 2002, 12:36 pm
Mike

[email protected] (James Donovan) wrote in message
    > [email protected] (Chris Parker) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]. com>...
    > > > Because there is nothing wrong with going back to Jamaica. Immigrants who
    > > > immigrate here adjust quite well, so why can't he do the same back in Jamaica?
    > > > He will have an easier life and be able to work legally without any trouble.
    > >
    > > Here's a technical question for those of you seeking a challenge on this topic:
    > >
    > > What are Jerome's options if he enlists and serves in the U.S. military?
    > He cannot, unless he has a green card.

** Check with your local recruiter, Ive known peeople in the USAF without greencards
from the Philippines. They are now giving citizenship to people who serve 3 yrs. I
believe it depends what country they are from...Mike C

Old Sep 8th 2002, 4:23 pm
James Donovan

LeightonJ <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >Also, Jerome wants to be in the army very badly. So, Im a little confused....WOULD
    > that be an option for him?

Only legal permanent residents and US citizens can join the Army.

> If so, that would make his day....And as for all the othter (In my opinion
    > STUPID comments about why Jerome doesn't want to leave, and how he would be
    > "better off going back to jamaica" PLEASE spare me. I'm only 21, and I realize
    > that if you were raised some place for 17 out of 19 years of your life, why would
    > you all of a sudden want to leave it? DUH ...I mean come on, people. Its not all
    > about the food. Im sure my husband would survive on Pig Tail and Curry Chicken
    > (since he eats it all the time) but as far as not KNOWING any one. His mother,
    > brothers, sisters, friends, teachers and wife are here...please use common sense.
    > (WHY do they call it "common" sense if it isn't all that COMMON?) Would YOU
    > (speaking to those who constantly tell him it would be better to just go back)
    > want to just drop your life in the only country you knew to move to a foreign one
    > because some stupid bill says so?

Hey, many immigrants come here and drop everything in their home country. It's no
different than what Jerome now has to do.

> I know many more immigrants who have more drive and ambition than many US
    > citizens ever will!

This sort of attitude is why Jerome should return. How DARE you put down US citizens
who are born in this country and favour illegals over them? They have a RIGHT to be
here, Jerome does not!

Old Sep 8th 2002, 5:06 pm
LeightonJ

Originally posted by ralph:
I suppose your ancestors were native Americans.

I totally agree with you! why are people SOOOO naive? Iif we didn't let "illegals" in America, there would BE no "America". America prides itself in a diverse culture. We call America the "melting pot" So, without illegals, there wouldn't be as much culture, and therefore no America...land of the free, where people flock to start new lives. We should be proud to live in such a place.

Last edited by LeightonJ; Sep 8th 2002 at 5:14 pm.

Old Sep 8th 2002, 5:11 pm
LeightonJ

Originally posted by James Donovan:
    >Also, Jerome wants to be in the army very badly. So, Im a little confused....WOULD
    > that be an option for him?

Only legal permanent residents and US citizens can join the Army.

> If so, that would make his day....And as for all the othter (In my opinion
    > STUPID comments about why Jerome doesn't want to leave, and how he would be
    > "better off going back to jamaica" PLEASE spare me. I'm only 21, and I realize
    > that if you were raised some place for 17 out of 19 years of your life, why would
    > you all of a sudden want to leave it? DUH ...I mean come on, people. Its not all
    > about the food. Im sure my husband would survive on Pig Tail and Curry Chicken
    > (since he eats it all the time) but as far as not KNOWING any one. His mother,
    > brothers, sisters, friends, teachers and wife are here...please use common sense.
    > (WHY do they call it "common" sense if it isn't all that COMMON?) Would YOU
    > (speaking to those who constantly tell him it would be better to just go back)
    > want to just drop your life in the only country you knew to move to a foreign one
    > because some stupid bill says so?

Hey, many immigrants come here and drop everything in their home country. It's no
different than what Jerome now has to do.

> I know many more immigrants who have more drive and ambition than many US
    > citizens ever will!

This sort of attitude is why Jerome should return. How DARE you put down US citizens
who are born in this country and favour illegals over them? They have a RIGHT to be
here, Jerome does not!
I agree with you. Jerome doesn't have a legal right to be here. And, it is not that I favor foreigners over USC's, but I DO favor people with motivation and goals in their lives over people who sit on their stoops or porches all day and collect welfare because they are too lazy to work. And, I am not saying that the lazy people are the USC's But I have traveled alot in my 21 years, and I have seen many cities just like mine....where there are streets upon streets of people just sit on their porches and let their 10 kids run all over and don't care while they collect welfare.....just seems that maybe they could learn something from people like Jerome.

Old Sep 8th 2002, 5:55 pm
Chris Parker

> You have it wrong. Men MUST register with selective service on their 18th birthday
    > and remain on the active roles UNTIL age 26. It sure doesn't mean one can wait
    > until 26 to register. I hope you registered at age 18 as mandated by law, or you
    > will be in some deep trouble. Don't give this advice again, it is WRONG!!!

Men between ages 18 and 26 are required to register. Men at 17 1/2 are now also
allowed to register, but not required to do so.

I registered at age 24 1/2.

Late registrations are accepted until age 26. You cannot register after age 26.

After age 26, BTW, you are not required to notify them of change of address any
longer either.

CP

Old Sep 8th 2002, 6:47 pm
Chris Parker

> No, he has to be continuously registered UNTIL he is 26.

I think enough people lied to you about this process when you were young and foolish
that you never understood the actual laws. I recall being told once that this was a
voter registration thing, for example.

You can find the answer to every question you could possibly have about Selective
Service registration and drafts at
http://www.sss.gov/

The pertinent fact here are as follows:
1) Men between ages 18 and 26 are required to register. Failure to do so restricts
eligibility for federal student aid, federal employment, and can be prosecuted
with a fine and/or imprisonment.
2) There is no penalty for late registration, however you cannot register late
after age 26.
3) Undocumented alien men are required to register.
4) The Selective Service does not record a person's citizenship or alien status
in their records. They do, however, require a social security number as far
as I can tell.

I think there is no risk of an undocumented alien being found because they registered
with the Selective Service, because the Selective Service doesn't even know they are
aliens. In fact, the Selective Service has a such an open enrollment policy that
even women can submit registration forms.

The risk for an undocumented alien comes when they apply for a social security card
and cannot document their immigration status. I think, however, that's a fairly safe
process to do if they use a document other than a passport to prove their identity
(such as a state ID card). Passports missing an I94 or I551, and an INS admission
stamp could be a red flag to the SSA, but not necessarily so since this can happen
legimately if a foriegn passport was stolen while in the U.S. and replaced by the
country's consulate in the U.S.

It is worthwhile to remember also that the SSA is not the INS, although it does have
an agreement with the INS to report individuals who receive earnings and have nonwork
or work-restricted social security cards. I do not know of any similar agreement
about reporting social security applicantions (although they are verifying claimed
immigration status now before issuing cards), nor any law barring an undocumented
alien from receiving a nonwork social security card for a valid nonwork reason (such
as to submit Selective Service registration), so the process it isn't quite as
intimidating as you would expect. Jerome, for example, got an IRS ITIN card
successfully despite being an undocumented alien. In fact, even if a nonwork social
security number is used for work purposes, the individual will be eligible to receive
social security benefits in exactly the same way as if it were a work-issued number.
If INS was the agency issued social security cards, the story would be much
different...

CP

Old Sep 8th 2002, 8:51 pm
James Donovan

[email protected] (Mike) wrote in message
    > [email protected] (James Donovan) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]. com>...
    > > [email protected] (Chris Parker) wrote in message
    > > news:<[email protected]. com>...
    > > > > Because there is nothing wrong with going back to Jamaica. Immigrants who
    > > > > immigrate here adjust quite well, so why can't he do the same back in
    > > > > Jamaica? He will have an easier life and be able to work legally without any
    > > > > trouble.
    > > >
    > > > Here's a technical question for those of you seeking a challenge on this topic:
    > > >
    > > > What are Jerome's options if he enlists and serves in the U.S. military?
    > >
    > > He cannot, unless he has a green card.
    > ** Check with your local recruiter, Ive known peeople in the USAF without
    > greencards from the Philippines.

That may have been a long time ago, but I have checked with the local recruiting
office here, and they would not allow you to serve voluntarily unless you at least
have a green card.

> They are now giving citizenship to people who serve 3 yrs.

Only if you are a LPR first. If you served during Operation Enduring Freedom or any
such conflict (Vietnam, Gulf war etc), you can apply immediately.

> I believe it depends what country they are from...Mike C

No it does not.

Old Sep 9th 2002, 1:08 am
Harvey Leems

You're a dolt if you really believe that one can choose when to register with
Selective Service. You MUST register when you turn 18. You must maintain
registration i.e. notify of change of address UNTIL you are 26.

Stop trying to convince people of something that is not true. Please Call Selective
Service and ask them

Dolt!

--
Harvey Leems "Chris Parker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:cebf7f45.0209081047.571e070d@po-
sting.google.com
    > > No, he has to be continuously registered UNTIL he is 26.
    > I think enough people lied to you about this process when you were young and
    > foolish that you never understood the actual laws. I recall being told once that
    > this was a voter registration thing, for example.
    > You can find the answer to every question you could possibly have about Selective
    > Service registration and drafts at
    > http://www.sss.gov/
    > The pertinent fact here are as follows:
    > 1) Men between ages 18 and 26 are required to register. Failure to do so restricts
    > eligibility for federal student aid, federal employment, and can be prosecuted
    > with a fine and/or imprisonment.
    > 2) There is no penalty for late registration, however you cannot register late
    > after age 26.
    > 3) Undocumented alien men are required to register.
    > 4) The Selective Service does not record a person's citizenship or alien status in
    > their records. They do, however, require a social security number as far as I
    > can tell.
    > I think there is no risk of an undocumented alien being found because they
    > registered with the Selective Service, because the Selective Service doesn't even
    > know they are aliens. In fact, the Selective Service has a such an open enrollment
    > policy that even women can submit registration forms.
    > The risk for an undocumented alien comes when they apply for a social security card
    > and cannot document their immigration status. I think, however, that's a fairly
    > safe process to do if they use a document other than a passport to prove their
    > identity (such as a state ID card). Passports missing an I94 or I551, and an INS
    > admission stamp could be a red flag to the SSA, but not necessarily so since this
    > can happen legimately if a foriegn passport was stolen while in the U.S. and
    > replaced by the country's consulate in the U.S.
    > It is worthwhile to remember also that the SSA is not the INS, although it does
    > have an agreement with the INS to report individuals who receive earnings and have
    > nonwork or work-restricted social security cards. I do not know of any similar
    > agreement about reporting social security applicantions (although they are
    > verifying claimed immigration status now before issuing cards), nor any law barring
    > an undocumented alien from receiving a nonwork social security card for a valid
    > nonwork reason (such as to submit Selective Service registration), so the process
    > it isn't quite as intimidating as you would expect. Jerome, for example, got an
    > IRS ITIN card successfully despite being an undocumented alien. In fact, even if a
    > nonwork social security number is used for work purposes, the individual will be
    > eligible to receive social security benefits in exactly the same way as if it were
    > a work-issued number. If INS was the agency issued social security cards, the
    > story would be much different...
    > CP

Old Sep 9th 2002, 12:56 pm
James Donovan

> I agree with you. Jerome doesn't have a legal right to be here. And, it is not
    > that I favor foreigners over USC's, but I DO favor people with motivation and
    > goals in their lives over people who sit on their stoops or porches all day and
    > collect welfare because they are too lazy to work.

It is their country. Let their country deal with them. Foreigners seem to think
that every one of them has some justification to be in the U.S.

> And, I am not saying that the lazy people are the USC's But I have traveled alot
    > in my 21 years, and I have seen many cities just like mine....where there are
    > streets upon streets of people just sit on their porches and let their 10 kids
    > run all over and don't care while they collect welfare.....just seems that maybe
    > they could learn something from people like Jerome.

THere are lots more hardworking people in America than there are welfare bums.
America is not responsible for Jerome, but America is responsible for those
welfare bums. You are doing like Jerome is the only hardworking person in the US
and as if the uSA will somehow die without him. Well if you beleive that I have a
bridge to sell you!

Old Sep 9th 2002, 1:01 pm
James Donovan

> Originally posted by ralph:
    > > I suppose your ancestors were native Americans.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > I totally agree with you! why are people SOOOO naive? Iif we didn't let
    > "illegals" in America, there would BE no "America".

I really hate it when illegals use this as a justification as to why they should be
in America. The first people coming here were colonists, not immigrants. They
brought America to this land, and built it, not the other way around. Without them
America would be just a big empty continent.

> America prides itself in a diverse culture.

We have enough diversity already. Have you seen how many illegal Jamaicans live
in New York? Do you have any idea what goes on in Jamaican neighborhoods?
Crime, violence, rape etc. Diversity is nice but there is a point where we need
to draw the line.

> We call America the "melting pot" So, without illegals, there wouldn't be as
    > much culture, and therefore no America...land of the free, where people flock
    > to start new lives. We should be proud to live in such a place.

We DO NOT need illegals to have diversity. We already have the DV visa
lottery for that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.