Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Utterly greedy f**kers??

Utterly greedy f**kers??

Old Nov 30th 2012, 3:39 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Utterly greedy f**kers??

Originally Posted by fatbrit
It's certainly more efficient in its spending on health care than the private sector.
This is highly debatable. For example, putting price caps on medical services as many countries do is not "efficient", it simply distorts the market, stifles innovation and introduces shortages. Please don't misunderstand me, the current US health system is indeed an unsustainable mess. I'm not convinced that government is the solution.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

markwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Why are you all convinced that paying taxes is so wonderful and a sign of "morality"? Do you believe that the government does nothing but efficient good with tax money?
They're only saying that it is immoral not to pay them if you are a banker and/or earn over some non-specified amount.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 3:46 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markwm
They're only saying that it is immoral not to pay them if you are a banker and/or earn over some non-specified amount.
Why? If you're not breaking laws why is it amoral to seek to reduce your tax burden? Paying taxes isn't charity, after all.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 3:49 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Why are you all convinced that paying taxes is so wonderful and a sign of "morality"? Do you believe that the government does nothing but efficient good with tax money?
I used to be a Libertarian and think as you do. As I matured politically, I came to realize that contributing a reasonable proportion of resources meaningfully for the purpose of the support of the community is the duty of every member of the community, and it is also the duty of every member of the community to minimize their call upon community resources as much as they reasonably can. But a central administration of community resources is as necessary for this purpose as is the brain to the body, therefore some sort of government needs to be established. Of course, if the government doesn't work, it is also the duty of the community to remove it or alter it so that it does work, because the health of the central administration is the health of the community.

Or, as it was put by better thinkers than I long ago,

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.

Old Nov 30th 2012, 4:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

markwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Speedwell
I used to be a Libertarian and think as you do. As I matured politically, I came to realize that contributing a reasonable proportion of resources meaningfully for the purpose of the support of the community is the duty of every member of the community, and it is also the duty of every member of the community to minimize their call upon community resources as much as they reasonably can. But a central administration of community resources is as necessary for this purpose as is the brain to the body, therefore some sort of government needs to be established. Of course, if the government doesn't work, it is also the duty of the community to remove it or alter it so that it does work, because the health of the central administration is the health of the community.

Or, as it was put by better thinkers than I long ago,

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.

Old Nov 30th 2012, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

rallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to all

Regarding the taxes, I'm quite fond of paved roads paid for by my taxes, rather than having to travel everywhere on dirt roads or tracks, as one example. Yes, private toll roads exist, but imagine if the whole country was connected by toll roads - would you go anywhere if the owners had free range to charge whatever toll they liked?

Some of the funds provided to the various tiers of government are no doubt mis-used, whether that be in defense spending, benefits, or any other arm of government. As a resident of Utah, I disagree with, for example, the way they have the alcohol licensing structure set up, and think that every tweak they make just wastes taxpayer money (let alone the costs to the business owners that have to be passed on).

On the whole, the idea of a governmental structure is of benefit to us all.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 4:15 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

This is highly debatable. For example, putting price caps on medical services as many countries do is not "efficient", it simply distorts the market, stifles innovation and introduces shortages. Please don't misunderstand me, the current US health system is indeed an unsustainable mess. I'm not convinced that government is the solution.
Well, they do an awful lot better than the private sector.

Don't think there's any stifling of medical research and innovation in the UK, is there?
Old Nov 30th 2012, 4:21 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Well, they do an awful lot better than the private sector.
There's room for debate about this, and I have debated it until I'm blue in the face

But still, whatever method you use, public or private, the community needs to make sure it's getting its money's worth. Should the government be reformed and made more efficient? I think you'd have to be very dim indeed to disagree with that basic premise. But the most effective and efficient government would be a tightly controlled tyranny with as little room for diversity or innovation as the governing board of a small country church.

What young and politically naive people often neglect to do is to see the evidence, right in front of them, that one system is doing a better job at something than another system, and to ask the necessary questions about why that is so.

Last edited by Speedwell; Nov 30th 2012 at 4:24 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 6:28 pm
Banned

JRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to all

It's certainly more efficient in its spending on health care than the private sector. And one special forces bod undoubtedly costs us less when s/he's paid by the government than Blackwater. Just sayin' like.
Yeah, Steven (the CEO of Blackwater and subsidaries) lives in 740 Park, and thinks in billions and trillions. His reality is very very different from the average citizen, and would prob laugh to think that somebody credits him with a moral compass.

He and the like are AMORAL>
Old Nov 30th 2012, 6:29 pm
Banned

JRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to all

Good point. I too think there is such a thing as too much government intervention.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 6:30 pm
Banned

That seems rather a paranoid point of view.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Don't think there's any stifling of medical research and innovation in the UK, is there?
Seems to be a weirdly common view that universal healthcare stops research. If that were so then it doesn't explain why so many pioneering practises have come out of the countries that have it. Face transplants and womb transplants are two of the highest profile of recent times - France and Denmark?
Old Nov 30th 2012, 6:35 pm
Banned

Sorry, but who's quote was that Speedwell?

Unfortunately I don't think all men are created equal. Also, corruption is very difficult to be rid of...
Old Nov 30th 2012, 6:37 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Speedwell
There's room for debate about this, and I have debated it until I'm blue in the face

But still, whatever method you use, public or private, the community needs to make sure it's getting its money's worth. Should the government be reformed and made more efficient? I think you'd have to be very dim indeed to disagree with that basic premise. But the most effective and efficient government would be a tightly controlled tyranny with as little room for diversity or innovation as the governing board of a small country church.

What young and politically naive people often neglect to do is to see the evidence, right in front of them, that one system is doing a better job at something than another system, and to ask the necessary questions about why that is so.
Very good point. A benevolent dictatorship would work best I think.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 7:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anian
Seems to be a weirdly common view that universal healthcare stops research. If that were so then it doesn't explain why so many pioneering practises have come out of the countries that have it. Face transplants and womb transplants are two of the highest profile of recent times - France and Denmark?
Maybe he means it 'stifles innovation' in new ways to rip people off.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.