Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Utterly greedy f**kers??

Utterly greedy f**kers??

Old Nov 30th 2012, 1:52 am
Banned

JRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to all
Default Re: Utterly greedy f**kers??

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider
As has already been stated in recent public hearings "we're not suggesting you did anything illegal, rather, we are suggesting you did something immoral..."

I have no issue with Morgan Stanley looking out for it's shareholders. It has a legal duty to do so under the laws of quite a few countries.

My issue is e morality of holding out for a tax break only about a dozen organisations have access to, a tax break that is arguably 'iffy' in terms of the value to society... whilst also suggesting the deficit be largely, if not singularly, plugged by the 99%.

And doing so with a genuinely sincere and straight face.

I know nobody said life had to be fair... Any more than a very few should get special treatment just 'because'...
+1 Morals and ethics are important in any civilized society. It is just not good enough to say "but we didn't break the law"
"The war is an ass" and it is about time all those top 1% CEOs in 740 Park (Av NY) were forced to be held morally accountable for their actions. They have lost touch with the reality experienced by the average American.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 1:57 am
Banned

JRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by markwm
Your failure to comprehend is amusing, your assumptions are telling and your attitude is childish. Have a nice day.
Same to you
Old Nov 30th 2012, 2:02 am
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't matter if it is immoral (by whose standard?) or unethical (again, by what measure?) - if the law allows it, they are not doing anything wrong.
Perhaps 'illegal' would be more precise than 'wrong' - in which case I'd agree. And in my own view (to your earlier point about which/whose definition of moral/wrong...) it is immoral. But that's my own opinion.

And yes, the law should changed so that bent law makers looking to retire to a board position in said banks are unable to make a mockery of Congress and the people...

Yours, lividly, but not jealously,

Harold Spider Esq.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 2:18 am
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

Your failure to comprehend is amusing, your assumptions are telling and your attitude is childish. Have a nice day.
My day was actually fine, thank you Mark. How was yours?

That aside and 2 requests later, you still haven't addressed the reason why you accused the right-honourable OP of jealousy, or why you needed to be smug, snarky and condescending. Alas, you seem to be incapable of any form of meaningful debate; you simply wanted to troll and push your own agenda.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 2:22 am
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JRG67
+1 Morals and ethics are important in any civilized society. It is just not good enough to say "but we didn't break the law"
"The war is an ass" and it is about time all those top 1% CEOs in 740 Park (Av NY) were forced to be held morally accountable for their actions. They have lost touch with the reality experienced by the average American.
Not so long ago, it was perfectly legal to openly discriminate against black people in this country. Fortunately, enough good people banded together and protested, bringing about the Civil Rights movement. My point is that the law doesn't always defend or enforce morality. Sometimes it's actually part of the problem.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 2:23 am
Banned

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider
Perhaps 'illegal' would be more precise than 'wrong' - in which case I'd agree. And in my own view (to your earlier point about which/whose definition of moral/wrong...) it is immoral. But that's my own opinion.

And yes, the law should changed so that bent law makers looking to retire to a board position in said banks are unable to make a mockery of Congress and the people...

Yours, lividly, but not jealously,

Harold Spider Esq.
Very suave!
Old Nov 30th 2012, 2:25 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Ethelred_the_Unready
Not so long ago, it was perfectly legal to openly discriminate against black people in this country. Fortunately, enough good people banded together and protested, bringing about the Civil Rights movement. My point is that the law doesn't always defend or enforce morality. Sometimes it's actually part of the problem.
A tad too erudite for Mark, perhaps?
Old Nov 30th 2012, 2:27 am
Banned

Old Nov 30th 2012, 2:37 am
Banned

LOL
BTW I have noticed that you are very chivalrous
Old Nov 30th 2012, 2:46 am
Banned

The Manics - telling it like it is:

Gotta love this line

"They give and take away, repossess and crucify
The more you own the more you are, lonelier with cheap desire"
Old Nov 30th 2012, 2:52 am
Banned

Originally Posted by JRG67

LOL
BTW I have noticed that you are very chivalrous
I can also be a particularly horrible ****.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 6:50 am
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

I have it, by Jove!!

The "Somebody Else's Problem" field...
http://hitchhikers.wikia.com/wiki/Somebody_Else's_Problem_field

Old Nov 30th 2012, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

markwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud of

My day was actually fine, thank you Mark. How was yours?

That aside and 2 requests later, you still haven't addressed the reason why you accused the right-honourable OP of jealousy, or why you needed to be smug, snarky and condescending. Alas, you seem to be incapable of any form of meaningful debate; you simply wanted to troll and push your own agenda.
Actually, I had a pretty amazing day (seriously, I really did).

It seemed to me that his initial post smacked of jealousy since it had the appearance of a rant. I have no agenda: again, all I have done is to point out a slightly different view of the situation which you are free to ignore as I am free to ignore your perspective. BTW, I consider myself pretty middle of the road, politically, I prefer consensus politics to a straight left or right view: both sides have good and bad ideas.

It seems to me the core issue here is about the morality of what they are doing. If you read my posts you might see I have not taken a side, just asserted that morality is a shifting base upon which society bases it's view of the world and how i's members should behave at that moment in time.

The bankers (I have not expressed nor do I have any feelings for them either way) are doing what they are allowed to do. If the lawmakers let them get away with it, for whatever reason, then vote to remove those lawmakers (I do understand that, at an individual level, that is difficult; however, if you truly felt strongly enough about it, you would do something a tad more tangible than take the piss out of me - which, by the way, feel free to do - it does make me laugh).

As for the morals of what they do, look at it from their point of view: they have an opportunity to make even more money. So what? Are you saying, if in the same position, you would turn it down? Really? I would find that very hard to believe.

It's not that they are immoral - they just have a different moral compass than you or I might have. To them this is what they do. You should also consider what they do with that money.

A great deal of it is, one way or the other, returned back to the economy. Many of these people will invest in startup and other companies (as angels or venture capitalists) and/or will buy homes, or employ local workers to improve the homes they have or simply spend the money on food and living. Capital does not stay in one place, it is fluid.

My big concern would not be that they earn it, but that they don't spend the majority of it in the local or national economy.

The banks may not be lending money (another issue and one where they are wrong) but bankers are and always have done, even if most people don't know about it.

Now, again, have a nice day. I know I will.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 3:18 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Why are you all convinced that paying taxes is so wonderful and a sign of "morality"? Do you believe that the government does nothing but efficient good with tax money?
Old Nov 30th 2012, 3:22 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Why are you all convinced that paying taxes is so wonderful and a sign of "morality"? Do you believe that the government does nothing but efficient good with tax money?
It's certainly more efficient in its spending on health care than the private sector. And one special forces bod undoubtedly costs us less when s/he's paid by the government than Blackwater. Just sayin' like.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.