British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Utterly depressed :( (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/utterly-depressed-752444/)

spiraluk Mar 22nd 2012 6:24 pm

Utterly depressed :(

I applied for my adjustment to status (I-485) on the 12 Oct 2011, a few days after me and my wife married here in Ohio. I got a letter in Jan asking for more details on her income which we sent off a few weeks later. Biometrics done prior to xmas, so we though all was going well.

Just got a letter today saying that our case file had now been moved to the California Service Centre to speed up processing. Great I thought, Green Card will soon be here. Checked on the website for processing times...

60 MONTHS!!!!!!!!!!

How can this be right??? 5 years to get a GC? Tried calling the USCIS but they are pretty useless in what they can tell me.

This leaves me so down about all this. Someone tell me this is a mistake :confused::(

sir_eccles Mar 22nd 2012 6:41 pm

Re: Utterly depressed :(

Where are you looking, most likely explanation is that you are looking at the wrong category.

spiraluk Mar 22nd 2012 6:48 pm

[QUOTE=sir_eccles;9967345]Where are you looking, most likely explanation is that you are looking at the wrong category.[/QUOT

Nope, just checked again. :(

jeffreyhy Mar 22nd 2012 6:50 pm

You are correct, he is looking at the wrong category. There is no processing time given for the CSC to process I-485 for family-based cases.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 9967345)
Where are you looking, most likely explanation is that you are looking at the wrong category.

jeffreyhy Mar 22nd 2012 6:51 pm

I recommend that you check yet again, and read more carefully this time.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by spiraluk (Post 9967354)
Nope, just checked again. :(

spiraluk Mar 22nd 2012 6:52 pm

I have entered my reciept number and it tells me there. It also says in the processing times table that they are currently processing applications from Feb 2007? That can't be right I thought, but they confirmed it when I called.

sir_eccles Mar 22nd 2012 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by spiraluk (Post 9967367)
I have entered my reciept number and it tells me there. It also says in the processing times table that they are currently processing applications from Feb 2007? That can't be right I thought, but they confirmed it when I called.

Feb 2007 is listed next to employment based applications, is yours an employment based application or marriage based application?

JSL8610 Mar 22nd 2012 7:00 pm

It also says in the processing times table that they are currently processing applications from Feb 2007?

That's for employment based adjustment applications. It doesn't give a time for family based applications. Doesn't mean it's not the same I guess.

James

jeffreyhy Mar 22nd 2012 7:00 pm

I repeat my previous advice - read it again, more carefully this time. :)

As for what you were told when you called, it's known as the Misinformation Line for a reason.

Regards, JEff

It also says in the processing times table that they are currently processing applications from Feb 2007? That can't be right I thought, but they confirmed it when I called.

Noorah101 Mar 22nd 2012 7:02 pm

No matter what the USCIS siite says, or your receipt number inquiry says, Marriage-Based AOS cases routinely take about 6 months to process.

The fact that it was moved to CSC makes me believe you won't even have an AOS interview.

Rene

spiraluk Mar 22nd 2012 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy (Post 9967375)
I repeat my previous advice - read it again, more carefully this time. :)

As for what you were told when you called, it's known as the Misinformation Line for a reason.

Regards, JEff

I hope you're right. It only gives an option for employment biased based visa when you enter your info, so I'm guessing it is the same. I'll read it all again in the hope I'm just an idiot :eek::D

spiraluk Mar 22nd 2012 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 9967377)
No matter what the USCIS siite says, or your receipt number inquiry says, Marriage-Based AOS cases routinely take about 6 months to process.

The fact that it was moved to CSC makes me believe you won't even have an AOS interview.

Rene

I could live with that. The info that they give you over the phone is pretty useless. I hope I've just got it wrong. Thank you all for your replies.

jeffreyhy Mar 22nd 2012 7:11 pm

Agreed.

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 9967377)

Rene

Marriage-based adjustment of status cases are handled as follows:
- the Chicago Lockbox sends the application file to the NBC.
- the NBC gives the case a preliminary review
- if the NBC believes that the case is not clearly approvable without an interview it will send the case to the appropriate field office for interview and adjudication.
- if the NBC believes that the case is clearly approvable without an interview, or in some cases if the field office that would handle the case is severely backed up, the NBC will send the case to the CSC for adjudication without an interview.
- if the CSC agrees that the case is clearly approvable without an interview it will approve the application
- if the CSC does not agree that the case is approvable without an interview it will send the case to the appropriate field office for interview and adjudication.

Regards, JEff

spiraluk Mar 22nd 2012 7:18 pm

You guys are a goldmine of info. Thank you Jeff, you've made me feel a whole lot better :D

Noorah101 Mar 22nd 2012 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by spiraluk (Post 9967380)
I hope you're right. It only gives an option for employment biased based visa when you enter your info, so I'm guessing it is the same. I'll read it all again in the hope I'm just an idiot :eek::D

Not employment-based visa, but employment-based AOS.

Never guess that two totally different processes are the same. Employment-based AOS can take FAR longer than marriage-based AOS. Since USCIS isn't posting a marriage-based AOS category, there's no way for you to know how long it will take....but also do not use other categories as a comparison.

Rene