Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

USPS Shipping in time for Christmas 2011!

USPS Shipping in time for Christmas 2011!

Old Jan 5th 2012, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USPS Shipping in time for Christmas 2011!

Just got an email from my mum to let me know that the package I sent her on December 6th has finally arrived. 4 weeks for 1st class airmail?! Exactly what is first class about that?! The package had copies of my kids school photos and a photo of my daughter in her cheerleader uniform with her squad. If they had not arrived I would have had to re-order them all. Now I wait to see if my dad, brother, brother in law and mother in law all get theirs today too!
Old Jan 5th 2012, 4:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MandyNi
I sent various packages to both London and NI on the Monday before Xmas. London ones got there on Xmas eve so I was well impressed. The others got them on the first delivery after Xmas so not too bad. The only thing I didn't like was that my brother is being charged Import tax.

I looked it up and thought that if no gift was over 40GBP for one person then it was allowable.

Turning out to be an expensive gift! Just as well the gifts are worth more than the 20GBP plus I think my brother is looking forward to getting the denim jacket embroidered with Yoda and "Strong with the Force I Am" on the back for his 1 yr old!!
I sent my brother some Abercrombie & Fitch cologne and a perfume for his wife. (His request and he reimbursed me for them and shipping) Total cost was $100. I couldn't send it by USPS as it was classed as hazardous so it had to go by UPS. Shipping cost $144. It was held up briefly at clearance and we thought that he was going to have to pay some sort of fee on it but in the end he didn't. I honestly don't understand what went on! It was held for 2 days for 'additional documentation' and UPS called me and my brother to find out how many people the gifts were for.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 11:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I posted my Christmas cards early this year at the beginning of December. They didn't get there until after Christmas. Next year I will revert to sending them around the 20th December...they are always delivered on time when I send them late.
Old Jan 6th 2012, 1:09 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahG
Just got an email from my mum to let me know that the package I sent her on December 6th has finally arrived. 4 weeks for 1st class airmail?! Exactly what is first class about that?! The package had copies of my kids school photos and a photo of my daughter in her cheerleader uniform with her squad. If they had not arrived I would have had to re-order them all. Now I wait to see if my dad, brother, brother in law and mother in law all get theirs today too!
Talking of pics, I noticed with Boots, it's 5p per print if you get 200 pics or more.....with free shipping, which is so much cheaper than bulk printing over here with Target...

Seriously thinking of just getting a set done online with Boots sent to my mothers place every quarter instead now
Old Jan 6th 2012, 4:52 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Talking of pics, I noticed with Boots, it's 5p per print if you get 200 pics or more.....with free shipping, which is so much cheaper than bulk printing over here with Target...

Seriously thinking of just getting a set done online with Boots sent to my mothers place every quarter instead now
I've done this with some pics. I use Apple's iPhoto print shop to send prints back home, rather than get them sent to me and then forward them on. Works pretty well.

I think in the US there is a card company that will actually address and post your cards on your behalf. You could do the whole thing online if there was a similar set up in the UK.
Old Jan 6th 2012, 2:17 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

We did the Boots photo thing for my ma and it worked out perfectly. Didn't cost too much and we were able to surprise her with a bunch of photos of the (then) new baby delivered right to her!
Old Jan 6th 2012, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
We did the Boots photo thing for my ma and it worked out perfectly. Didn't cost too much and we were able to surprise her with a bunch of photos of the (then) new baby delivered right to her!
I did a photo book from Shutterfly for my parents last year at Christmas, and made it a "year in the life of the Brats". They were over the moon with it and I intend to do it every year while we're here. Just thought I'd let you know....
Old Jan 6th 2012, 2:22 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brat1
I did a photo book from Shutterfly for my parents last year at Christmas, and made it a "year in the life of the Brats". They were over the moon with it and I intend to do it every year while we're here. Just thought I'd let you know....
Aye, Shutterfly is decent too, we use it for our footy teams so parents can post photos and that, works out quite well ...
Old Jan 6th 2012, 2:35 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix

I think in the US there is a card company that will actually address and post your cards on your behalf. You could do the whole thing online if there was a similar set up in the UK.
Moonpig? Something like that I think...which probably isn't a bad idea.