British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   USPS Shipping in time for Christmas 2011! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/usps-shipping-time-christmas-2011-a-735255/)

Poppy girl Oct 10th 2011 5:54 pm

USPS Shipping in time for Christmas 2011!

https://www.usps.com/shippingdates/welcome.htm

I know last year it was a nightmare with the flights being delayed due to the bad weather etc and some of us recieved and vice versa, parcels weeks after Christmas so be prepared this year ;)

SarahG Oct 10th 2011 6:00 pm

Re: USPS Shipping in time for Christmas 2011!

Thanks for the info. I really need to get my backside in gear and sort out gifts/cards for the UK. My mum sent my kids stuff for last Christmas around Dec 6 and it finally arrived mid January! :frown: Must do better this year!

Poppy girl Oct 10th 2011 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by SarahG (Post 9667759)
Thanks for the info. I really need to get my backside in gear and sort out gifts/cards for the UK. My mum sent my kids stuff for last Christmas around Dec 6 and it finally arrived mid January! :frown: Must do better this year!

Yep same here every year I say it "must do better this year" do I!!! :o

Sue Oct 11th 2011 1:12 am

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 9667752)
https://www.usps.com/shippingdates/welcome.htm

I know last year it was a nightmare with the flights being delayed due to the bad weather etc and some of us recieved and vice versa, parcels weeks after Christmas so be prepared this year ;)

Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to make this a sticky

AmerLisa Oct 11th 2011 1:45 am

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 9667769)
Yep same here every year I say it "must do better this year" do I!!! :o

Same here...:)

Bob Nov 11th 2011 10:00 pm

So what prices are people getting?

The medium sized flat rate boxes that are $10 anywhere in the US, cost $45 to the UK.

A similar sized Priority Air Mail box is $38 for 4 pounds of weight.

Might be cheaper to send multiple smaller parcels, anything under 4 pounds is easier anyway...

Poppy girl Nov 11th 2011 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9728190)
So what prices are people getting?

The medium sized flat rate boxes that are $10 anywhere in the US, cost $45 to the UK.

A similar sized Priority Air Mail box is $38 for 4 pounds of weight.

Might be cheaper to send multiple smaller parcels, anything under 4 pounds is easier anyway...

Really on the $10 box that's odd I sent one a couple of months ago for about $20 something I thought!

Bob Nov 12th 2011 2:09 am

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 9728318)
Really on the $10 box that's odd I sent one a couple of months ago for about $20 something I thought!

Yeah, cheeky sods raised the cost and it's probably only going up because of the holidays...I asked this morning....not to impressed :D

Poppy girl Nov 12th 2011 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9728423)
Yeah, cheeky sods raised the cost and it's probably only going up because of the holidays...I asked this morning....not to impressed :D

Pleased you mentioned that, I wonder how many poor sods will get caught out!!

Jan Alaska Dec 8th 2011 6:21 am

Not only have they put the prices up but the flat rate boxes are smaller. I have one I received a couple of years ago and its huge by comparison to the large size boxes now.

Just sent a 17x17 box to the grandudes ... $58 :\ Dread to think what the smaller parcels to the UK are going to cost. The guy at the post office said if I get them off by the end of this week they should be there in time for Christmas ... should ... hmmmzz

SarahG Dec 8th 2011 6:04 pm

I just sent Christmas gifts to my friends newborn son in the medium sized flat rate box to N. Ireland and it was $45.50 while the website says it is $43.23 international. Not too much of a difference thankfully or I would have been really annoyed.

SultanOfSwing Dec 9th 2011 3:57 pm

I sent one off yesterday back to NI. Had to use our own box as the medium flat rate was too small. Cost $59.40 for a 10.5 lb parcel, said it would arrive 6-10 working days, so by the 20th/21st.

SarahG Dec 9th 2011 4:33 pm

I got an email from my friend in Magherafelt, NI that the package I sent her on Monday morning arrived with her today. :thumbsup:

SultanOfSwing Dec 9th 2011 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by SarahG (Post 9779557)
I got an email from my friend in Magherafelt, NI that the package I sent her on Monday morning arrived with her today. :thumbsup:

Hell's bells. Did you send it priority, or bog standard cheapo mail (like I did :o)?

At least my folks will get their presents before Christmas this year, I think it was December 29th when I sent their box last year ...

SarahG Dec 9th 2011 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 9779562)
Hell's bells. Did you send it priority, or bog standard cheapo mail (like I did :o)?

At least my folks will get their presents before Christmas this year, I think it was December 29th when I sent their box last year ...

I thought regular airmail but looking at the receipt it says Priority on it. Would that be because I used one of their flat rate boxes do you think? All the cards etc I am sending seem to be arriving in about a week. Mailed a friend a card with a fridge magnet in it, as she wanted one from Canada when I went there last month, on Thursday last week and it arrived today too.