British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   USPS Postal Order?... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/usps-postal-order-89966/)

Wesley Newcombe Jul 29th 2002 8:20 pm

USPS Postal Order?...

Do you think that the Department of State will accept a USPS Postal Order instead of
writing a personal cheque/money order?

Any thoughts or personal experience.

Thanks

Wes

Rete Jul 29th 2002 8:27 pm

Re: USPS Postal Order?...

A USPS postal order is a money order and no they will not have a problem with it. In fact one poster had a problem with sending a Western Union money order to the NYC INS. They claimed it was a third party money order and would not accept it.

Rete

Rete Jul 29th 2002 8:28 pm

OOOPSS why are you giving the DOS a money order? The DOS is the US Consulate. They don't take checks or money orders. Cash and sometimes credit cards.

Rete

PS unless you mean the DOJ which is the INS

Wesley Newcombe Jul 30th 2002 5:20 pm

"Rete" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > OOOPSS why are you giving the DOS a money order? The DOS is the US Consulate. They
    > don't take checks or money orders. Cash and sometimes credit cards.
____

I am doing I-130 from Canada. Instructions from the NVC (the department of state)
state that a money order / cheque must be drawn on a US bank. They have requested
$335.00 USD be sent with the DS-230 part 1 and all other original documents (i.e.
police certificates - no photocopies except for bio page of passport).

I just didn't know if a USPS postal order was in fact a money order drawn on a US
bank. Hope it works. I just know that the process is somewhat different for I-130
process then a K-1. Thanks for your input!

Wes

Rete Jul 30th 2002 5:30 pm

Yes you are quite right. They have changed the payment procedure for the I-130 going through the US and then Montreal. In the past the visa was paid for at the US Consulate on the day of the interview. Now it is apparently paid for upfront in the US. It is a little more expensive, I believe, for a bank money order as opposed to a USPS money which last time I used one was 80 cents per $100.

However, if the payment instructions read as you wrote them, I would interprete it to mean a money order or if you are paying by check, then the check must be from a US Bank, i.e. The Bank of New York as opposed to ScotiaBank and the money order must be in US funds.

Rete

Mrtravel Jul 30th 2002 8:21 pm

Rete wrote:
    >
    > Yes you are quite right. They have changed the payment procedure for the I-130
    > going through the US and then Montreal. In the past the visa was paid for at the US
    > Consulate on the day of the interview. Now it is apparently paid for upfront in the
    > US. It is a little more expensive, I believe, for a bank money order as opposed to
    > a USPS money which last time I used one was 80 cents per $100.

The last time I used it, it was 85 cents for up to $700. I think $700 was the max

Rete Jul 30th 2002 8:39 pm

Hey I used it when I bought on Ebay ;-) Can you tell I never paid more than $100 for any one item.

Rete